Not sure where to begin

Not sure where to begin

Postby jdc20181 » 27 Dec 2015, 03:12

Well since I don't know where to begin I will post here. First off I would like to ask what the goal of this site is and how I can benefit.
My second question is what kind of games can I make in vb.net? This is really all I know and have been learning since July of this year. I have a active project BeffsBrowser (A webbrowser with much more) To be completely in depth on my browser is that first off due to errors I had to revert from the webkit control :/ second is I have a few example games I found I basically read the code and put it into my project I gave reconginition forgetting where they came exact but all are open source. Anyways with all that in mind you get my idea, My browser is more than a browser. I also have a virus scanner (Real basic and old the example was really old and doesn't replace a actual one this one just browses a file you select for a list of 30K virues) And a word processor (BeffsEasyNotes) my browser has a tabcontrol custom made with a "X" on tabs....Okay sorry about going on about that but want to get everyone on same page for this, I would like to add more games but need ideas limitations and links to tutorials or tutorials in general. Keep in mind I haven't been coding for very long oh and btw I am only 16 :)
Thanks!
Jdc20181
jdc20181

Re: Not sure where to begin

Postby onpon4 » 27 Dec 2015, 03:52

First off I would like to ask what the goal of this site is and how I can benefit.

Developing libre games. Here's a proper definition:

https://gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

This community is basically just a place where we libre game developers can come together and help each other out, and ask for help. That's my understanding of it, anyway.

My second question is what kind of games can I make in vb.net?

Not libre ones. Not entirely, anyway. I'm pretty sure the only Visual Basic interpreter is a proprietary one.

I took a class on Visual Basic in high school, and one assignment was to develop a game, but it wasn't anything huge. Even discounting the ethical objections I have to that language, I would never use it to develop a game. You can kind of do it, but it's a lot more work than it needs to be.

If you're a beginner at programming, I'd suggest learning one of these:

- GDevelop: http://compilgames.net
- Godot Engine: http://www.godotengine.org
- Python: https://www.python.org
- LÖVE: https://love2d.org/

GDevelop, Godot Engine, and LÖVE are game engines. GDevelop doesn't need programming at all from my understanding. Godot Engine uses a custom scripting language similar to Python (GDscript). LÖVE is based on Lua.

Python is a very nice, easy to learn, and elegant programming language, though not as fast as something like C or C++. To make games with it, I'd recommend either the SGE Game Engine, Cocos2d, Pyglet, or PySDL2, depending on what you like. (Full disclosure: I'm the author of the SGE Game Engine, so I have a bias here.)
onpon4

Postby jdc20181 » 27 Dec 2015, 20:37

Lol wish they would offer a programming class at my school. I think I am gonna attempt to make a game in one of the kanguages such as c# what are most of these here made of? Oh that is cool you are the author of a game engine how can I use that to make maybe a basic game something like mario not advanced but similar or casual game like candy crush One thing I have learned so far is always branch out into different programming languages because they all sortta come together.
jdc20181

Postby rogerdv » 04 Jan 2016, 19:00

Well, lately, what language to use is the less relevant question, being more important what engine to use. Pick one (godot, or urho3d) and learn the corresponding scripting language.
rogerdv

Postby eugeneloza » 04 Jan 2016, 23:50

Well, practically you should really begin with an engine. Check a list of free game engines and see their features. There are 'universal' but complex engines, and 'limited' but easy. If you want to advance, learn an universal engine like advised above - but get ready for months of studying without any visible result. Or you can try to pick a game constructor to make 2D platformer games and stick with it for a while. On one hand you won't be able to do much, on the other hand - you'll get a result quickly which is great for motivation. And you'll learn a lot in the process which might (or might not) be usable in later programming.
eugeneloza

Postby Atomic Gaming » 09 Feb 2016, 04:21

Hi everyone I just developed my first game ever! Its not great but I was hoping someone could test it for me?
Atomic Gaming

Postby Atomic Gaming » 09 Feb 2016, 04:22

Because I wan to get my game out there XD
Atomic Gaming

Postby rogerdv » 11 Feb 2016, 15:15

Then upload it somewhere and post the link, screenshots and gameplay videos.
rogerdv

Postby Taknamay » 12 Feb 2016, 17:56

onpon4 {l Wrote}:Not libre ones. Not entirely, anyway. I'm pretty sure the only Visual Basic interpreter is a proprietary one.

Mono has an implementation of VB.NET, but I am pretty sure it lags behind Microsoft much more than C#. There is also Gambas, which is not compatible with Visual Basic but is very influenced by the syntax and semantics. There are some libre games made with Gambas.

On the topic of what to learn: If we are talking about languages and not engines, I would recommend Python before Gambas. Like everyone else said, choosing an engine is probably a bigger deal than a language. I like Godot but there are other options out there.
Check out the #freegaming tag on fediverse.
Taknamay