Re: The "Lets get ready the rooms models" topic

Postby Bertram » 30 May 2014, 21:39

Ok,

Yeah, don't trust my drivers on linux.
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Danimal » 01 Jun 2014, 16:00

New try, this time im sure the size is correct since i compared it to treasury mesh; i eliminated the diffuse map as well (it could be the one making it fail on your pc), now it only has the texture and normal map. I also made them PNG, now they only have half the size. Ill wait for your confirmation on how it works.
Attachments
DojoMk2.zip
(3.06 MiB) Downloaded 300 times
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 02 Jun 2014, 22:19

The model is fine :)

Shall I commit it?
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Danimal » 02 Jun 2014, 23:45

sure, if you havent seen any z figthing and think the pattern looks goods please commit it.
Since i managed to learnt the process ill start doing batches for the different rooms.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 03 Jun 2014, 09:25

Cool,

Btw I added a basic workaround z-fighting between the ground tile and the room ground tile by setting the z value of the room tile slightly higher than 0.0.
And I didn't see any z-fighting in the room mesh itself. I'll commit it.
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Danimal » 03 Jun 2014, 16:29

If you think that workaround is not a bad thing codewise im rigth now and officially starting with the other textures; library goes first
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 04 Jun 2014, 08:31

Hi, :)

This is not really a "workaround", I see this as a wanna-be more fine-tuned value, but I might change it again if I do find something fitting better.
Yeah, go go for the Library. :D (I'll happily push the corresponding code and buttons)

Regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Danimal » 06 Jun 2014, 00:19

Reworked or remade from scratch models for library:
Carpet texture is public domain - no attribution
Podium: Author Dm3d, gpl2/3, ccBySa - i just gave a bigger open page texture and normal map
Bookshelf: it was imposible to export, i redid from scratch, textures used were creative commons, so credit would go only to me :)
Bookcase: Author qubodup CC0, world ball texture Author YD CC-By. i made scrolls and a world ball for it plus normal map, im a bit worried about poly number

Now, what should i do next? i guess ill go to single textures of existing rooms, and once finished, start with farm model and training room new models.
Attachments
Library.png
Library all models.zip
(4.5 MiB) Downloaded 310 times
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 06 Jun 2014, 13:20

Wow! This is impressive!

I'm eager to see that used in game... (I'll base the library code upon the Forge code for it if you agree.)
Btw, what will be the use of the library in term of game play already?

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Danimal » 06 Jun 2014, 14:57

Thanks Bertram, yes, the code for training room or forge is good; basically creatures able to research come here to "work" on creating research points. This is a room needed in the long run; this need a bit of explanation:

When you start a level you only have already unlocked the basic rooms: treasure, lair, hatchery, library and maybe training room;
Library will attract researchers, and from then on its a weapons race; researchers will unlock advanced rooms and spells with their research points, this new rooms will allow you to attract stronger creatures or blast enemies with your new spells. But researchers are weak if not trained, so you cant really focus on only researching for the level start phase or even low level enemies can kill you (there is a balance).

Now this room is very tied to the "Paths of evil", you need to decide at the start of level which path to go (not sure how, maybe a prompt windows when you build your first library?), and the researchers will take you down it. All paths have the common rooms included, plus a few special ones, same for spells, and some bonifications as well along the way. Possibly paths will be capped at the start of the game campaign, so you can only advance up to a part of it, until story allows you further progress on it (relics of power on some story levels).

Alternatively, if Paths are not integrated, research unlocks the same rooms and spells for everyone.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby hwoarangmy » 06 Jun 2014, 20:45

Concerning research, don't you think it could be nice to have a tree ? After each search, you can choose the next one. We could even add exclusive spells/rooms/traps. That would increase gamelife without much work. If we are lazy, we can even use similar creatures, for example, with only few changes (for example white knight/black knight that have the same hp/strength/... but can use different spells or white knight have more hp but less power and black knight less hp and more power).

And if you like this idea, it could also be used for the "path of evil". Instead of choosing the specialization at beginning or when the library is built, it will be chosen from the tree. And if we are lazy, we could also not block the 2 others path. That way, if you want to go full creatures and get very powerful units ASAP, you can. But if you prefer to have good creatures, spells and traps, you can also :)
That would also increase gamelife and gamestyles...
hwoarangmy

Postby Danimal » 06 Jun 2014, 21:22

Its not a bad idea, in fact war for the overworld uses exactly that system, i support it, as you say it would make the levels more fluid and add different play styles not set in stone like we planned with the paths. The only downside is that it will need some serious tweaking to avoid overpowered research routes. What to do guys think?

Skip to 4:50

youtu.be/oA8trRV2nP0
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby hwoarangmy » 06 Jun 2014, 23:00

Nice video. I didn't know this game, it seems not bad, many things to remember for OD :)

Since we are in a thread talking about room models, would it be possible to have animated rooms (not for functionnal reasons, just to be nicer) ? Especially the dungeon heart (but the others also). If yes, it would also be good to keep static rooms (like the actuals) so that people with a low configuration can still play because IMHO an open source game should work on as many computers as possible :)

Danimal {l Wrote}:The only downside is that it will need some serious tweaking to avoid overpowered research routes.
I agree but even if we choose to have 3 separated paths, it will be hard to avoid one path to be overpowered (and only played by players).
For me, if we choose the tree, the biggest difficulty will be to choose wisely the order of the tree so that everyplayer doesn't go for 2 or 3 researches in one way and then switches for another because the most interesting stuff is there. It is especially true for the spells because it is harder to increase level...
hwoarangmy

Postby Danimal » 07 Jun 2014, 00:11

Since we are in a thread talking about room models, would it be possible to have animated rooms (not for functionnal reasons, just to be nicer) ? Especially the dungeon heart (but the others also). If yes, it would also be good to keep static rooms (like the actuals) so that people with a low configuration can still play because IMHO an open source game should work on as many computers as possible :)

Training room and forge will have animated models (dolls, target, crafting machines...) and i dont think they will impact perfomance so much, we will need to wait until they are implemented and see, im saving them for last due to the extra work animation means compared to other rooms. Farm will have wandering chickens inside as well (that counts as animated, rigth? ;) ) The other rooms are pretty static by nature.

Dungeon heart depends on Elvano, i would love to get my claws on his model and put that cristal to hover and pulsate like a heart, but im not gonna force him in any way to rush it. Ill content myself with making a new portal when rooms are finished, i HATE that stargate one we have.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 08 Jun 2014, 00:35

A nice carpet for the Dormitory and grass for chickens to walk over, no normals for this ones since it looked awful on them.
The Farm just has center room objects, no wall objects at all. Since the chicken coop model is still not ready, you can use a placeholder.

Not the most exciting of updates, i know.

Bertram, how do you handle wall objects? i mean, if i model a wall picture and beer barrel to be used as wall models in the barracks room, will they "stick" to the wall without clipping problems?(barrel halfway in the wall or picture floating) or do i need to change positions before exporting models?.
Attachments
Dormitory.zip
(512.28 KiB) Downloaded 298 times
Farm.zip
(724.22 KiB) Downloaded 307 times
new tiles.png
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 08 Jun 2014, 19:51

Hi again guys, im going on a travel the whole next week, i dont think i will have access to the net, so lets see if you can surprise me when i come back with some amazing development ;)

See you all later
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 09 Jun 2014, 13:04

Hi there,

I took the liberty to tweak a bit hwoarangmy's popup and start working on icons:
latestdev.png

What do you think?

Can I use that style to add the new rooms?

Regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Danimal » 09 Jun 2014, 14:48

Got wifi! I think they are fine. But the treasury one is not very explicit
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 09 Jun 2014, 15:13

Heya :)

Damn, you're spoiling my surprise. ;)
Yeah, I had a hard time finding something suitable for the treasury icon. Got something in mind?
I took the icon from there:
http://game-icons.net/tags.html

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Danimal » 09 Jun 2014, 15:28

Hehe, today is just casuality. You have a whole week worth to try and surprise me ;)
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby hwoarangmy » 09 Jun 2014, 15:29

Danimal {l Wrote}:Farm will have wandering chickens inside as well (that counts as animated, rigth?
Yes :)

Danimal {l Wrote}:The other rooms are pretty static by nature.
hmm. I'm not saying it is something urgent but it would be cool to have funny animations for as many rooms as we can. Like when the black mistress goes in the torture room :)

Danimal {l Wrote}:Ill content myself with making a new portal when rooms are finished, i HATE that stargate one we have.
Cool :)
hwoarangmy

Postby Danimal » 09 Jun 2014, 17:12

Im taking note of your sugestions Hrw.

Betram, on a second look the icons you choose look nice; you can go full ahead as you please with them.
Also, could the dojo finally be renamed to training hall? That name always make me think of ninja turtles and sounds too alien.

About the treasury, i plan to redo the gold stacks models in four stages: handfull of gold, bag, lots of bags and chest. Can the code be modded to allow that progressions as worker drop it into the treasury tile? I know its already integrated to some extent since it changes from bag to chest.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 09 Jun 2014, 18:26

Betram, on a second look the icons you choose look nice; you can go full ahead as you please with them.

Ok :) I'll add the code to put some libraries and basic hatchery around ;)

Also, could the dojo finally be renamed to training hall? That name always make me think of ninja turtles and sounds too alien.

Ok :) (Done on github.)

About the treasury, i plan to redo the gold stacks models in four stages: handfull of gold, bag, lots of bags and chest. Can the code be modded to allow that progressions as worker drop it into the treasury tile? I know its already integrated to some extent since it changes from bag to chest.

The code here show there are two steps, but the base for modability is there:
https://github.com/Bertram25/OpenDungeo ... y.cpp#L175
So it shouldn't hard to add. :)
Last edited by Bertram on 09 Jun 2014, 19:09, edited 1 time in total.
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Bertram » 09 Jun 2014, 19:01

Hi,

Btw, I've added spawn pools support to the github fork, and removed the old faction code there.

As for the spawning conditions, here is what I'm proposing:

I'd like to add creature spawning conditions in the creatures.def file but there are, IMHO, two ways to do it:
Either I can add spawning conditions after the definition file, like this:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
# Describes the conditions to spawn a creature
[Spawn_conditions]
# Creature name
#Room name   Minimum active spots number
# ...
[Creature]
ConstructWorker
Forge   3
[/Creature]

[Creature]
CaveHornet
none   0
[/Creature]

[Creature]
Wyvern
Forge   2
Dormitory   3
[/Creature]
[/Spawn_conditions]

or I can merge the creature stats within the creature block, for instance. Any ideas?

Also, IIRC, we decided the conditions to be the number of active spots (0-N) of specific rooms (0-N).
Am I missing something?

Bet regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby paul424 » 09 Jun 2014, 19:03

It's good you keep lurking onto the forum , while in travel Danimal. However ,

Well that's totally erratic way of doing things , I wouldn't retouch any models which are already in the game , until we have ALL rooms and Monster models. Then after that , there would be time to polish things up :) .
paul424
OD Moderator