express opinions

express opinions

Postby intherow » 02 Nov 2018, 13:27

I have tried the Android version, and steering by default seem difficult for me, so i want tell other idea about it, from image i will share.

steer idea2.png

"when touched kart will run even turn right or left when forward or backward",

so i want to know people opinion about my idea ?
intherow

Re: express opinions

Postby deve » 02 Nov 2018, 15:33

Thanks for your feedback.

So you mean that up/down should be always 100% speed even if you are near center of the button? And only use analog controls with sensitivity for turning left/right? Indeed maybe it has a sense. Or you can tweak sensitivity and deadzone parameters in options, but it affects both directions.

And btw. next version will have better accelerometer and gyroscope support.
deve

Postby QwertyChouskie » 02 Nov 2018, 18:22

IMO on a touchscreen the controls shouldn't be analog at all. I always end up either going less than 100% speed, or I completely loose control because my finger is too far above the controls in an attempt to actually go full speed.
Not an official dev, but a huge fan of STK!
QwertyChouskie

Postby deve » 02 Nov 2018, 22:20

Non-analog controls for turning left/right would't work, especially on small screens. It's becaue you can accidentally move finger very little and it would turn left/right a lot. Or at least we would need separate left/right and up/down buttons, but there is not enough space to do it...

It should be better now:
https://github.com/supertuxkart/stk-cod ... f07f47f1e1

The up/down is still analog, but I use much higher sensitivity, so you don't have to go that high on screen. Maybe the sensitivity could be even higher, but it needs more work (atm. the code assumes that deadzone may be up to 50% and doesn't use real value).
deve

Postby QwertyChouskie » 02 Nov 2018, 22:49

Is there any reason to have the speed be analog? Not sure why one would want to go at e.g. 82% speed... Either way, any improvement is an improvement.
Not an official dev, but a huge fan of STK!
QwertyChouskie

Postby deve » 03 Nov 2018, 00:15

On keyboard it's possible to turn left/right without pressing speed button when you already have some speed. So I wouldn't remove such possibility. But indeed it's probably not useful in most cases.

Anyway now in current git you can set 100% sensitivity in options and you will have binary 0/1 speed :P
deve

Postby eltomito » 03 Nov 2018, 08:43

Hi!
I find it a bit difficult to steer on Android too but I think the problem is something else: it's the fact that I never know where exactly my finger is on the steering wheel.
I think it may help if there was a very transparent image of the steering wheel somewhere where I can see it (like, in the upper left corner of the screen) with a dot showing where my finger is on the real steering wheel. Any thoughts on that?
eltomito

Postby annopnod » 03 Nov 2018, 13:54

you can use usb otg connect joystick
annopnod

Postby deve » 05 Nov 2018, 22:03

intherow {l Wrote}:I have tried the Android version, and steering by default seem difficult for me, so i want tell other idea about it, from image i will share.

steer idea2.png

"when touched kart will run even turn right or left when forward or backward",

so i want to know people opinion about my idea ?

You can try current beta on google play and see if it's better for you. You can also tweak some parameters in touch device options to find best values.
deve

Postby eltomito » 08 Nov 2018, 07:54

I've tried the beta on Android and the big steering wheel is really great! With the small wheel, I can rarely do 3 laps of Shifting Sands under 2:30 but with the new one, it's actually pretty easy. And it feels much less fumbly. So, thumbs up for the big wheel!
eltomito

Postby intherow » 08 Nov 2018, 16:43

deve {l Wrote}:You can try current beta on google play and see if it's better for you. You can also tweak some parameters in touch device options to find best values

when I tried the android version, I found something strange. the gift box is visible far away but if approached it will disappear, but if it is in a place where the gift box is located, karts can get items :

Screenshot_2018-11-08-21-32-56.png
gift box still visible = 3

Screenshot_2018-11-08-21-33-04.png
forward a little, remaining gift box = 2

Screenshot_2018-11-08-21-33-34.png
forward a little again, remaining gift box = 1

Screenshot_2018-11-08-21-33-44.png
forward a little once more, remaining gift box = 0

then some objects in other places are lost but when approaching it will be like bumping into an invisible object. I think this is a bug too. :

Screenshot_2018-11-08-21-34-18.png
some objects disappear but still exist

(the results of testing on the version: SuperTuxKart Beta Unreleased_vgit20181104)

annopnod {l Wrote}:you can use usb otg connect joystick

I once borrowed, but it didn't seem to support my cellphone
Last edited by intherow on 08 Nov 2018, 16:51, edited 2 times in total.
intherow

Postby intherow » 08 Nov 2018, 16:44

when I use the accelerometer style, when I press the key forward, the kart's rate feels good, which then makes me think of the idea of ​​the image I posted earlier. for the gyroscope I can't imagine that.

deve {l Wrote}:So you mean that up/down should be always 100% speed even if you are near center of the button? And only use analog controls with sensitivity for turning left/right? Indeed maybe it has a sense. Or you can tweak sensitivity and deadzone parameters in options, but it affects both directions

it's true, going up and down will always be 100% forward when touching the side of the button that I gave an example.

the thing that comes to mind that makes driving a kart less comfortable with the initial steering style, is because of the greater room for the button to turn the tires right and left without making the karts run rather than the steering wheel that makes the karts run. so when you turn forward sometimes your fingers touch "the button area runs while turning moving and not moving together" and makes karts slow when turning. that's just my opinion.

because of that I thought the 100% idea of ​​running karts even when turning

or maybe my idea of ​​other steering styles can be like this:
steer idea.png

(I think making it simple in appearance but effective is good) IMHO
intherow

Postby cddepppp256 » 13 Nov 2018, 02:40

The problem is having to drag your finger. Now I know it's stupid, but...

Screenshot from 2018-11-12 19-35-35.jpeg
Concept for binary toutch UI for SuperTuxKart
cddepppp256