Arduino(-Like) Game Platforms

Arduino(-Like) Game Platforms

Postby dulsi » 08 Oct 2018, 02:50

I'm looking for arduino devices (or devices with similar capabilities) which come as a mostly complete product. It can require assembly but assembly should be simple and not require soldering.

Tiny Arcade and Pocket Arcade
I own both of these. The Tiny Arcade is fun to toy with but not a great gaming device. I find the Pocket Arcade to be exactly what I wanted. Programming is very easy but API is very low level. It uses the standard Aduino IDE. The two platform are compatible so you can use the same binaries on each machine. Pixels width and height are only 96x64 but I'm enjoying the challenge.

Pokitto
It seems to be a reasonable sized. The graphic modes are annoying to compare. It has higher resolution than the Tiny/Pocket Arcade but is more limited in color. Seems more designed for a lower color games. They seem to suggest using the online service to write programs for the platform. The offline IDE mentioned in the tutorials only provides a windows version.

Gamebuino Meta
Better display than Tiny/Pocket Arcade but otherwise similar hardware it seems. They use the Arduino IDE. The API is more advanced.

Arduboy
Display is black and white only but more resolution than Tiny/Pocket Arcade. API is more advanced.

Odroid Go
Seemingly the most advanced hardware. Unfortunately it seems to suggest using the system for emulators more than writing new open source games.

Anyone have any other suggestions?
Last edited by dulsi on 20 Oct 2018, 13:26, edited 1 time in total.
dulsi

Re: Arduino Game Platforms

Postby dulsi » 17 Oct 2018, 03:29

Pocket Sprite
It looks like a better Pocket Arcade but it has an oddity. Like the Pocket Arcade it has an 96x64 pixel screen. It has a better CPU. However, the screen has 8 pixels covered on each side reducing it to 80x64. The system is advertised to run emulators which is disappointing but they are open source. It's interesting that they push the emulators on a system that can't match the pixel resolution of the original hardware. Also it doesn't run Arduino. It has it's own SDK. I'm not sure I like the idea of it running a web server to upload files.
dulsi

Re: Arduino Game Platforms

Postby drummyfish » 19 Oct 2018, 17:25

Hello, I own Arduboy and Pokitto. Let me just clear some info on Pokitto:

- It's not Arduino. It's based on an NXP ARM processor. AFAIK it has some very small piece of BIOS-like proprietary code in its ROM, but this kind of code is very close to what even FSF tolerates. Everything else is FOSS.
- The online compiling service is only one option, mostly for beginners. You can use GNU toolchain to compile your programs under GNU/Linux -- that's what I'm doing, I use it from within command line with Vim.
- The display is full-color, but the numbers of colors depend on the screen mode. Screen modes with palettes are inevitable because full RGB pixel buffer would take the whole memory. Basically we now mostly use either 110x88 16 colors, or 110x88 256 colors (you can choose the color palettes), but there are more options. If you choose your palette wisely, you can achieve very nice things, e.g. here I've been able to make quite smooth shadows in an 3D environment:
- It's still pretty much new compared to other consoles like Arduboy and a lot of things are work in progress and a lot of things, including tutorials on some compilers, are missing, but the community is very nice and active and everything's moving forward really quickly. People are trying to set up new compilers, port libraries (e.g. Pygame) etc. There is a big potential, a lot of things are coming.

I can recommend Pokitto and I'll help you get started if you want. You can find me at their forum as drummyfish.
drummyfish

Re: Arduino(-Like) Game Platforms

Postby dulsi » Yesterday, 00:07

Arduino isn't exactly what I meant for this thread. It's more arduino like platforms. As in CPU that are slow enough or without a lot of memory so that you aren't running a regular operating system. Below the level of the rasberrypi for the most part.

For pokitto is there a thread/wiki you would recommend for setting up a development environment? Do you use a simulator or emulator to develop on your computer. I saw a post by you in a thread about a simulator running under Code:Blocks.
dulsi

Postby drummyfish » Yesterday, 16:55

I've started preferring the emulator a while ago because it got superior to the simulator now. It now supports advanced features such as GDB remote debugging and profiling, and you don't need Code::Blocks for it. The simulator is still useful because it produces native binaries that are sometimes useful when debugging (you can e.g. use valgrind on it).

Sadly I'm only aware about tutorials on the online and Windows IDE, and I think someone set up PlatformIO as well (don't know much about that and if you'd want to use it). If you create a thread, people will help you get started. Here is a piece of thread where I've been helped to set up mine (GNU toolchain + Makefile), you might be able to do it as well.

Since you've created the demand now, I'm thinking about creating a tutorial on setting up the environment as I am using it. Not promising anything, but if I do it, I'll drop a link here.
drummyfish

Postby drummyfish » Yesterday, 18:52

Okay, so I quickly put together a how-to on setting up the command line workflow (excuse me if there are some mistakes, hopefully it's at least a bit helpful):

https://talk.pokitto.com/t/cli-building-on-linux/1387
drummyfish