V0.5 Preparation thread

Re: V0.5 Preparation thread

Postby acme_pjz » 01 Sep 2018, 04:58

Hello all,

I'd like to release the V0.5 RC (Release Candidate) version next weekend, i.e. Sept. 8 or 9. There is still one week to catch more bugs or propose minor improvements.

There are still some addons with unclear license, though:

@Edward_Lii, what is the progress in contacting them?

I assume that Tedium also uses OpenGameArt, but I can't find him.
Some of my open source games on GitHub
acme_pjz

Postby GunChleoc » 03 Sep 2018, 20:27

I have filed a couple of i18n bugs that don't necessarily need fixing for the RC. I also have a pull request ready with some added context for translators.
GunChleoc

Postby acme_pjz » 04 Sep 2018, 09:36

GunChleoc {l Wrote}:I have filed a couple of i18n bugs that don't necessarily need fixing for the RC. I also have a pull request ready with some added context for translators.

I have already replied on Github. I think there is only one issue which can't be fixed for V0.5. Others are quite OK.
acme_pjz

Postby Wuzzy » 06 Sep 2018, 22:53

Hey!
I have a suggestion. How about moving to hosted.weblate.org for the translation system?

Sadly, Transifex is proprietary and cannot be used without running proprietary software (JavaScript) and I am slowly walking away from Transifex.

See also:
https://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8059
Wuzzy

Postby acme_pjz » 07 Sep 2018, 04:32

Wuzzy {l Wrote}:Hey!
I have a suggestion. How about moving to hosted.weblate.org for the translation system?

Sadly, Transifex is proprietary and cannot be used without running proprietary software (JavaScript) and I am slowly walking away from Transifex.

See also:
https://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8059

I have just submitted the application form to them. Waiting for response.
acme_pjz

Postby Edward_Lii » 07 Sep 2018, 05:49

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:@Edward_Lii, what is the progress in contacting them?

I assume that Tedium also uses OpenGameArt, but I can't find him.

Sorry for the late response. I have still to receive a response to my emails to them. I'll try one more time, but if there's no response again, I'm afraid we have no definite answer and will have to remove those addons :(

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:I'd like to release the V0.5 RC (Release Candidate) version next weekend, i.e. Sept. 8 or 9. There is still one week to catch more bugs or propose minor improvements.

I would like to cram in one level in the tutorial for the pushable blocks. I'll try to get that done today, as it would be quite weird to not have a level for it in the tutorial.

EDIT: Actually, thinking about it, that might not be the best idea. It would require a translation for both the title of the level and the explanation inside the level.
Now we don't have pushable blocks in the default levels/levelpacks, so perhaps not having it in the tutorial isn't too bad. :-/
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby acme_pjz » 07 Sep 2018, 13:56

Wuzzy {l Wrote}:Hey!

The Hosted Weblate project have just been set up: <https://hosted.weblate.org/projects/me-and-my-shadow/>. Some other things are also need to be setup yet, e.g. auto-update of .pot file from Github and auto-upte translations to Github. Maybe one or two days later the web translation will officially moved to Hosted Weblate.

Edward_Lii {l Wrote}:I would like to cram in one level in the tutorial for the pushable blocks. I'll try to get that done today, as it would be quite weird to not have a level for it in the tutorial.

EDIT: Actually, thinking about it, that might not be the best idea. It would require a translation for both the title of the level and the explanation inside the level.
Now we don't have pushable blocks in the default levels/levelpacks, so perhaps not having it in the tutorial isn't too bad. :-/

OK, I think it's fine. Maybe you can keep your new levels in a separate branch and we can merge it after V0.5 is released. :)
acme_pjz

Postby GunChleoc » 08 Sep 2018, 18:36

Found a typo in the weblate project:

https://hosted.weblate.org/translate/me ... e901eb63e2

It says "Me And My Shadow / traslations" -> translations

Better fix that before you start automating stuff ;)
GunChleoc

Postby acme_pjz » 09 Sep 2018, 01:07

This one is not under my control :| Maybe I should write an email to the Weblate guy again. The URL is correct, though.
acme_pjz

Postby acme_pjz » 09 Sep 2018, 09:59

@Wuzzy,

I have a problem about Hosted Weblate. I hope you know the solution before the Hosted Weblate guy replying my email.

I was pushing a .pot file changes onto Github master, and the Hosted Weblate pushes translation changes back. However, the newly added strings in .pot file don't appear on the web translation system, the languages which were 100% are still 100% after I push .pot changes.

What should I do now?
acme_pjz

Postby acme_pjz » 10 Sep 2018, 11:21

Oops I think I made a huge mistake :( which erases half of the translations :(

The old translation file has "charset=CHARSET" which causes problems on Hosted Weblate, which erases all of non-ASCII characters :( I have restored old translations from earlier commit, except for de and gd translations which are changed recently.

@GunChleoc and @Wuzzy, could you recheck the de and gd translations to see if any non-ASCII characters are eaten and need to be restored? Sorry for the inconvenience :( :(
acme_pjz

Postby Wuzzy » 10 Sep 2018, 14:55

Thanks for moving to Weblate, highly appreciated!

I'm only an user of Weblate, so I can't help with technical problems.

I have checked the German translation on Weblate again and I did not see any broken non-ASCII characters. But you can easily check for yourself, just grep the PO files for “ä”, “ö”, “ü”, “Ä”, “Ö”, “Ü” or “ß”. If none of these characters appear anywhere, then something probably went wrong. :)
Wuzzy

Postby acme_pjz » 10 Sep 2018, 16:05

OK, I have checked and it looks like that de and gd translations are not affected. :)
acme_pjz

Postby acme_pjz » 12 Sep 2018, 12:30

Hi all,

I have just released the V0.5 RC version. :) You can find the files here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/meandm ... les/0.5rc/ . Currently there are Win32 and Linux64 binaries as well as source packages.

You can read the announcement here: https://acmepjz.github.io/meandmyshadow ... eased.html .

Tasks to do before the V0.5 version:

• Ask the translators to update the translations.
  • Fix the OSX build and packaging.
acme_pjz

Postby acme_pjz » 13 Sep 2018, 05:13

@SanskritFritz,

I found that some characters in Hungarian translation are missing. This is not your fault, but missing characters in our font files.

I think the only way to fix it in V0.5 version is use another font for Hungarian translation. Currently I use the font Source Sans Pro Italic (licensed under SIL Open Font License) Open Sans Italic (licensed under Apache 2.0) in the 0.5.1-dev branch. But this will make the English text looks less nicer (for example in Russian and Chinese translation). What do you think?

[EDIT] Finally I decided to use DejaVu Sans Condensed Oblique (https://dejavu-fonts.github.io/ licensed under Bitstream Vera Fonts Copyright, etc.) which provides slightly more characters, including Cyrillic, ő and the character which looks like 7 in Scottish Gaelic. This unfortunately adds the data by roughly 900KB. Also, I have already modified Russian, Scottish Gaelic and Hungarian translations on Weblate so you don't need to worry about the fonts used.
acme_pjz

Postby Wuzzy » 13 Sep 2018, 20:38

This music track might interest you:

https://opengameart.org/content/depressed-of-happytown
Wuzzy

Postby acme_pjz » 14 Sep 2018, 04:50

Wuzzy {l Wrote}:This music track might interest you:

https://opengameart.org/content/depressed-of-happytown

I think this music is great :) . Let's ask @Edward_Lii for opinion.
acme_pjz

Postby GunChleoc » 14 Sep 2018, 11:19

Thanks for the font fix!

BTW notifications in Weblate are completely non-functional - I have subscribed to everything and did not receive an e-mail about the new strings you pushed.
GunChleoc

Postby acme_pjz » 15 Sep 2018, 15:20

GunChleoc {l Wrote}:notifications in Weblate are completely non-functional - I have subscribed to everything and did not receive an e-mail about the new strings you pushed.

OK, indeed I don't know about the notification system; currently the string on Weblate will be updated automatically if .pot files on Github master branch is updated. Maybe you have to ask the Weblate guy :|
acme_pjz