Could There Be An Quest System?

Could There Be An Quest System?

Postby KiyanTheBluePenguin » 07 Dec 2020, 17:54

I'm Asking Because There Isn't Much To Do After Beating Story Mode.
My Errr... What Should I Call It?
My Request I Guess.
KiyanTheBluePenguin

Re: Could There Be An Quest System?

Postby Alayan » 07 Dec 2020, 17:59

SuperTuxKart isn't a RPG that lends itself well to side-quests.

Once Story Mode has been beaten in SuperTux, the main points of interest are doing good time-trials and multiplayer, either online or with friends.
Alayan
STK Moderator

Postby KiyanTheBluePenguin » 07 Dec 2020, 19:43

Alayan {l Wrote}:SuperTuxKart isn't a RPG that lends itself well to side-quests.

Once Story Mode has been beaten in SuperTux, the main points of interest are doing good time-trials and multiplayer, either online or with friends.

Understond ;)
KiyanTheBluePenguin

Postby eltomito » 07 Dec 2020, 22:26

Or, if you can't multiplayer, play the addon tracks. There're are tons of them, lot of them are good (you can tell by the number of stars they have) and getting good at them will take you a while. Try playing against a lot of karts, like 8.
My favorites are:
Green Valley,
all the farm tracks: The Farm, ...
Lost Chasm,
Subsea,
Magic Garden,
eltomito

Postby KiyanTheBluePenguin » 08 Dec 2020, 14:47

eltomito {l Wrote}:Or, if you can't multiplayer, play the addon tracks. There're are tons of them, lot of them are good (you can tell by the number of stars they have) and getting good at them will take you a while. Try playing against a lot of karts, like 8.
My favorites are:
Green Valley,
all the farm tracks: The Farm, ...
Lost Chasm,
Subsea,
Magic Garden,

Pretty True.
Is There Some Other Post-Story Mode Content That Could Be Made?
I'm Just Asking.
KiyanTheBluePenguin

Postby Wuzzy » 09 Dec 2020, 16:11

Well, you can always replay the Story Mode challenges at a higher difficulty to gain silver, gold or, if you're really good, even platinum trophies (at SuperTux). Trying to beat SuperTux difficulty for the whole Story Mode can be a real challenge.
Then you could complete the achievements, which you could kinda sorta call "quests", I guess? Although the STK achivements are pretty bad and unimaginative, to be honest. The game would not be worse if they vanished. :p
And finally, you can try to find all the eggs on all tracks in the Egg Hunt mode in singleplayer. If you change the difficulty, the eggs will change locations as well.
And that's basically it for singleplayer content. The rest is just trying to beat your best times and playing your own custom single races (or grand prix races), basically.

But to be honest, Story Mode is very short. I mean, you race on every track only once or twice and then Story Mode is already over. Story Mode could be so much more. I believe there is a lot of unused potential. :(

SuperTuxKart isn't a RPG that lends itself well to side-quests.

Nobody wants to turn STK into an RPG. You're interpreting that way too literally. ;)
Note that this is now the second time a player publicly wondered about "what to do after Story Mode": https://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic ... 17&t=12225

Seems like players feel that STK is lacking in singleplayer content / that Story Mode is indeed too short.
Wuzzy

Postby fracture » 09 Dec 2020, 16:58

Wuzzy {l Wrote}:Seems like players feel that STK is lacking in singleplayer content / that Story Mode is indeed too short.

Because it is, and to be honest story mode isn't even that good. Maybe just replace it with some kind of challenge mode where players can actually complete challenges to unlock courses. Some challenges could be like objectives like collecting nitros or egg hunts but most should just be races where players must finish first or time trials in which they must beat a ghost. Maybe add a challenge involving soccer or battle mode. To make it last longer, just add more challenges. Each track can have separate challenges for each difficulty (and the challenges could be different such as nitro collect on easy, normal race on medium, and time trial on hard or supertux), and to unlock the tracks in singleplayer the players should complete the medium difficulty challenges (to make it harder but not too hard to unlock tracks). Add in a few soccer or battle modes and the game could have almost 100 of these challenges (probably too many challenges but at least we have hours of singleplayer content).

The only thing the story mode really has is the nolok boss battle which isn't even that good because the AI in this game is completely broken. I think a better boss battle would be a two-phase battle where the first phase involves what we have now (the race) followed by the second phase which is a 3-strike battle (with nolok having more lives on higher difficulties, 4 on medium, 5 on hard, 7 on supertux).
fracture

Postby KiyanTheBluePenguin » 09 Dec 2020, 17:20

Jesus,
I Didn't Realize A Ton Of People Would Say Stuff.
Anyways, Time To Respond.

The only thing the story mode really has is the nolok boss battle which isn't even that good because the AI in this game is completely broken. I think a better boss battle would be a two-phase battle where the first phase involves what we have now (the race) followed by the second phase which is a 3-strike battle (with nolok having more lives on higher difficulties, 4 on medium, 5 on hard, 7 on supertux).

I Would Love To Have Actual Boss Fights In STK.
I Know Coding Is Hard, But Come On.
We Could Have Like A Demonic Form Of GNU If We Wanted Too.

But to be honest, Story Mode is very short

This Is Wayyyyyyyy Too True.
If You Go The Fast Route, You Can Beat It.
It's Too Easy In My Opinion.
I Would Love To Have A Slider Before You Start Story Mode To Select The Diffeculty.

players feel that STK is lacking in singleplayer content

Mostly I Think The Reason Is That The Only Thing Is Addons.
That's The Most You Can Do With Post-Story Mode.

This Is Something People Talked About,
But No,
I Don't Mean Quests As In Quests In An RPG.
I Mean Quests Where It's Random And You Could Unlock Karts And Tracks With It.

This Is My HUGE Post.
KiyanTheBluePenguin

Postby SvenAndreasBelting » 09 Dec 2020, 19:04

Expanding story mode besides from adding more cutscenes isn't the best idea in my opinion. If it will only be stretched without something really new it will easily get boring. And if you need to play hours just to unlock all tracks it would be too long for casual players.

Splitting story mode and unlocking tracks could be an option to make the story mode longer though, but then it should feel like a real story (which isn't really the case right now).

I think an easier way to get just something to do after the story mode would be to redo the complete achievement system and make it much more difficult to unlock all achievements. And one kart could be unlocked after you finished all achievements so that there would be a reason to finish them.
SvenAndreasBelting

Postby fracture » 09 Dec 2020, 20:10

SvenAndreasBelting {l Wrote}:Expanding story mode besides from adding more cutscenes isn't the best idea in my opinion. If it will only be stretched without something really new it will easily get boring. And if you need to play hours just to unlock all tracks it would be too long for casual players.

Splitting story mode and unlocking tracks could be an option to make the story mode longer though, but then it should feel like a real story (which isn't really the case right now).

I think removing story mode entirely wouldn't be a bad idea considering the story is terrible. The way I see it, a cheap bowser clone just wants attention so he kidnaps a creature of importance and publicly announces it so that other players can race him. Why didn't he just eat GNU from the start? Why did he have to tell everyone and make a deal with them. Nolok just wanted someone to race with him because he's too much of a coward to ask Tux himself. That and the fact he's essentially a clone of Bowser makes him the worst villain I've ever seen from any form of media. If you want to keep Nolok and the story mode as a whole I suggest changing everything. Give him a new design which looks less like Bowser and more like it's own villain. Give him an actual goal besides eating GNU for supper or beating Tux at a race.

Another idea for a story/challenge mode that wouldn't take as many hours would be to organize the challenges into different levels or tiers. For this to work the overworld would have to be completely changed or just removed entirely. Each level/tier could have five different courses with their own challenges and once those are complete then the grand prix with those tracks will be unlocked (and once that's done the next tier and all it's courses will be unlocked). An example tier 1 could look like this:
* Shifting Sands (nitro collect)
* Nessie's Pond (ghost time trial)
* Antediluvian Abyss (normal race)
* Volcan Island (follow the leader/player elimination)
* Hacienda (egg hunt)
* Penguin Playground Grand Prix (normal race - unlocked after completing all other challenges in tier 1, unlocks tier 2)
For the actual story, maybe add cutscenes which play after completing each tier.

SvenAndreasBelting {l Wrote}:I think an easier way to get just something to do after the story mode would be to redo the complete achievement system and make it much more difficult to unlock all achievements. And one kart could be unlocked after you finished all achievements so that there would be a reason to finish them.

This would be a good idea although I don't think players would care to unlock just another kart that they would likely never use.
fracture

Postby KiyanTheBluePenguin » 09 Dec 2020, 20:42

From What I'm Seeing,
NOBODY Agrees On HOW To Make Post-Story Mode Stuff,
Or Improving Story Mode.

Anyways, Responding.

considering the story is terrible.

I Did Read The Post Alright?
Ahem.
What I'm Thinking Is Rather Something Similar To Mario Kart DS's Mission Mode.
It's Basicly The Challenge Mode You Guys Mentioned.
At The Final Level Of That Mode,
The Player Has To Do An Boss Fight If He/She Wants To Continue,
Has To Beat That Boss.

Just My Idea.

a clone of Bowser makes him the worst villain

I Get It,
But Like,
SuperTuxKart Started As TuxKart (Which Most Of You Probaly Know That If You Know STK's History),
And TuxKart Was Similar To Mario Kart.
I Feel Like I'm Rambeling.
Also I Think That STK Is Starting To Distance Themselfes From Mario Kart.
Then Again,
Mario Kart NEVER Had A Story Mode.
I'm Moving On.

Give him a new design which looks less like Bowser

I Don't Think People Will Like This,
But People Do Want Nolok (From SuperTux) Remade.
Again,
You'll Decide.
Just So You Know,
I Get Used To Stuff.
So If Nolok Gets Redesigned,
I'll Get Used To It.

Next.

the overworld would have to be completely changed

People Have Been Talking About This Right Here: https://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic ... 19&p=95252

NEXT.

Each level/tier could have five different courses

Am I The Only One Who Thinks Of Crash Bandicoot 2?
Like, Just Me?

For the actual story, maybe add cutscenes which play after completing each tier.

There Should Be A Skip Option For Reasons.
I Don't Know If People Will Be Happy With This Or Not.
I'll Let Them Decide.

Anyways, THIS IS HUGE AGAIN.
Goodbye.
KiyanTheBluePenguin