3d models

Re: 3d models

Postby Arcanis » 10 Feb 2011, 00:16

my blender on Ubuntu gets a error every time I try to import Colladas files "Install the full version of python". :?

yeah, now would be a good time to learn it. I might try some animations next, what's the stance on Non-character animations?(swinging signs, lamps,ect) would they be fine or unnecessary?
Arcanis

Postby andrewbuck » 10 Feb 2011, 00:51

Yeah, blender is definitely worth knowing. I used wings3d a few years ago and blender is a lot better. If you want a good place to learn blender the "Noob to Pro" book on wikibooks is a very good introduction.

The mesh looks pretty good. I imported it into the game and it is a bit big and also rotated incorrectly. Regarding the polycount I see that all of the objects are "full" objects, meaning all the sides are modeled. It would be nice to make a "static" version of the pile where you trim out any of the faces that are not seen because they are on the backs of objects or they are buried in the pile. That will cut the polycount down signifigantly and for many games, including this one, just a static pile would be just fine. I would definitely keep copies of all the un-cut objects in the mesh file though too in case we "redesign" where the stuff is buried later on.

Edit: I was writing this while you replied, animations on lamps, etc are fine. Eventually I think it would be cool for almost everything to be animated. I am not sure how much of a performance penalty this incurs though.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby Arcanis » 10 Feb 2011, 01:01

The "onemesh" file should have all unseen polys deleted. was it the .mesh files that were rotated wrong? try the obj file(might be the exporter that's doing it)
Arcanis

Postby andrewbuck » 10 Feb 2011, 01:27

Yeah I brought in the onemesh into the game.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby Arcanis » 10 Feb 2011, 01:31

Arcanis

Postby svenskmand » 22 Feb 2011, 11:17

I think it is a really good model :) The podium is also really nice :) Really good textures :)

Skorpio {l Wrote}:
andrewbuck {l Wrote}:... I have been wanting to see some beds for quite a while as I think that is something that really adds to the realism of the game.

-Buck

It would be good to have some concept art for the beds. I'm not really eager to design beds.

True we need more concept art before we head on to modeling. But there are of course allot of creafted items that can be made without concept art, because they are so stereotypical, like podiums, bookshelf's and goldpiles :) Nice work and welcome aboard :) Arcanis
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator