Reviving old 0.8.1 features into current STK, with my fork

Reviving old 0.8.1 features into current STK, with my fork

Postby Worldblender » 10 Nov 2020, 03:16

Finally, I decided to fork STK, in order to keep track of every alteration I make to the game code. Repository: https://github.com/RQWorldblender/stk-code

In this fork, I added some notable features that were last present in STK 0.8.1, along with some more of my own. Nothing about the physics has changed, however.
  • Restore and revamp the digital speedometer. Unlike in its 0.8.1 appearance, it is placed above the current speedometer, as its original place is taken by rank number; the original value is no longer multiplied by 10. Displays in these units:
    • m/s (default)
    • km/hr
    • ft/s
    • mph
  • Restore the messages that appear if karts get hit or on powerup use, with minor changes. All were last seen in 0.8.1. I'm open to adding more hit messages for more fun.
    • All messages from 0.8.1 appear almost exactly as before. They are white, but with a black outline for easier readability.
    • They will not appear for karts that have a shield from using bubblegum. This prevents erroneous messages from appearing when karts are not actually hit.
    • Most messages end with periods now.
    • One of the anvil messages removes "the".
    • One of the bowling ball messages ends with "!".
  • Artist debug mode menu additions;
    • Front of kart view
    • Inverse side of kart view
    • Change to kart #9, #10, #11, or #12
    • Attachments for AI karts
    • Restore access to the anchor/anvil powerup; it is still in the code, but all distribution probabilities set this powerup to zero, so that it will never appear in normal modes. Last seen in normal modes was in the 0.7 series.
    • Clear the current powerup or attachment
    • Flatten karts as if they were hit by a swatter
    • Block most of the view with plungers
  • Enhance demo mode for less hard-coding and more randomness.
    • Use the last selected kart instead of always using Tux
    • Use the last selected mode and difficulty, instead of normal and hard, respectively
    • Randomize whether reverse mode is used, or not
    • (broken) Use Nolok boss mode at random for all AI karts
After reviving some of these features, I feel considerably nostalgic about them, but now while staying up to date on the latest STK. More features and changes will be listed here whenever I make and publish them.
Worldblender

Re: Reviving old 0.8.1 features into current STK, with my fo

Postby Worldblender » 17 Nov 2020, 01:36

I added more features yesterday:
  • Allow accessing Nolok boss mode via command line (with --nolok-boss option); Nolok boss mode may break if more than one AI kart is used, and enough time passes
  • Re-enable regular AI to handle anchors/anvils (same code from test AI)
  • Allow setting [again] track reverse mode via command line
  • Enable executing some keypress actions from the debug menu in a new sub-menu, including rescuing karts and pausing the game (keypresses in demo will cause the game to crash).
  • In the debug menu, moved "To next kart" menu entry to be right below "To previous kart" for easier reach.
Worldblender