WIP Track : help to choose a name

WIP Track : help to choose a name

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 12 Oct 2020, 03:29

Hello guys!

After four years of break, I am happy to announce a new track with a ready-made layout and 3D modeling practically completed. Anyone who followed the posts on this forum already knows that I am also working on a project called "1001 Nights", which reproduces the scenario of the modern Arab world with elements from ancient stories, passing through today's luxurious metropolises and a large refinery, through the old city and by Ali Baba's cave, but I needed to pause the progress to deepen the research on some aspects. Anyway, it's well in advance. I have two more tracks practically at the same stage of progress as the one announced today - "Viking Ring Fortress" and "1750", but I'm still trying to design the best possible layout.

The track that motivated the creation of this topic is all set in the Netherlands and was designed for everyone (like me) who would like to drive and run through the beautiful landscape of that country that is known worldwide for its canals, flowers, clogs, bicycles, dairy industry and, of course, windmills. As it is a fictional country (as defined by the STK Universe) that is based on a real country, to portray a scenario that really exists, I decided to respect the local architecture as much as possible so that everything really resembles what exists in the Netherlands and not with a generic location.

Being a track that aims to portray what exists in the Netherlands, the terrain of the track is basically flat. This facilitates the alteration of the driveline/path/way according to the necessity in the function of the fun of driving. So, I would like to ask everyone's help to:

1. Give your impressions about the scenario and the theme of the project;
2. Choose a name for the track, as I have not yet found one that I consider ideal.

The Track
This track is divided into four parts which are divided into sectors or zones.

Part 1 - Urban (The city), composed by a) city entrance, b) the city gate, c) the main channel and the big bridges, d) the big area with the city tram station, the university banks, commerce, and others.
Part 2 - Coast (the transition between the city and the rural zone. Includes the port, some houses, and a part of the dyke.
Part 3 - Rural (The countryside): begins at the end of the circular detour in the dyke. It covers the green terrain, some channels, wooden houses, a clog factory, plantations, windmills, and the farm.
Part 4 - The Dairy Factory.

Please note that these are just screenshots, not rendering. Much less, in-game rendering. They don't do justice to the real appearance of the track. These are simply pictures to show the ambiance with the goal to allow everyone to realize what this track is like. Consider, also that there are some missing objects that will be added to enrich the graphics.

Track name
Well, obviously, some names have already been thought of by me, but I haven't found any of them good enough to name this track. For this reason, I ask you to vote for one of these names, adapt one or two of them, or, still, create a totally new name, but consistent with the scenario depicted in the images I am publishing. The names I have are:

1. Windmills
2. Between the channels;
3. Mills and Channels;
4. Dairy Factory; and,
5. Tulip fields.

Comments, opinions and criticism
If I am publishing these screenshots, it is because I want everyone to analyze the topic well so that they can make suggestions consistent with the Dutch scenario. The comments and criticisms I would like to receive are your comments on:

1. The theme
Comment how Dutch culture was explored and whether there is one aspect that deserves more emphasis.
Ex. More about flowers, more clogs, more bikes, less windmills, explore more of the countryside, explore more of the urban, etc.

2. The colors.
I used colors that are common in houses and buildings in the Netherlands, but some may prefer more cartoonish colors. This can be easy to change. I made over 20 brick textures and 10 wood textures, but I can create other, more vivid color textures without much work. Thus, buildings that are in brown and beige tones may be painted in vibrant colors such as red, blue and yellow, but this will make the runway more unreal and more like a drawing instead of looking like a reality.

3. The start line
This is one of the reasons to post screenshots before the track to test. I simply need to know where to put the startline according to the opinion of the majority.
My intention is to put the start on the bridge at the entrance gate of the city, but there are another three or four points where the race can start. So, I would like you to vote for your favorite starting point:

1. Entrance gate of the city.
2. The passage between buildings after the main channel bridge (facing the inscription "I Like Rode Dam")
3. The strait between the grass walls.
4. The white wooden bridge over the canal in the countryside.
5. The entrance to the dairy factory.
6. Other.

Please note that only about 80% of the entire project has been shown. In addition to objects that need to be added (traffic signs, flowers on the sidewalks and poles, totems and orientation signs), there are still some houses in the urban area, two trucks, and trams that still do not have their final textures. The textures used in paving, flowers, and trees are also temporary, as I will still create each one.

Well, I would like those who are interested in the theme of the track to research, see the photos and watch the videos indicated in the links before making suggestions. I am going to give you about three days to analyze the project and, only then, I will prepare the export of the track for testing.

I will contact Worldblender and see if he has some time to help me right now. If he can't, I'll export the test track myself, but I need to put colors on the objects and on the path first so that you don't get lost in the middle of the scene. If I have to do this myself, it will take a few days for the test track to be available.

The Screenshots
1. The city gate.jpg
The city gate

2. The city channel.jpg
The city channel

3. The coast.jpg
The coast

4. The rural zone.jpg
The rural zone

5.jpg
The big windmill
Last edited by GeekPenguinBR on 12 Oct 2020, 03:57, edited 9 times in total.
"Making cool harmless games makes the world a better place".
GeekPenguinBR

Re: WIP Track : help to choose a name

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 12 Oct 2020, 03:33

Continuation

6. The rural zone (2).jpg
More rural area

7. The farm and the factory.jpg
Farm and factory

8. The dairy factory.jpg
The dairy factory

9.jpg

10.The start line.jpg
The start line

Clueless comments that I totally dispense
Please, ignore and pass this section if you are not used to be nonsense.

"Netherlands? Why Netherlands? I don't like tracks reproducing countries. I don't even like the Netherlands! I prefer tracks in totally fictional environments, volcanoes, mountains, waterfalls, etc."
This track was designed just for people who like the Netherlands and want to have the pleasure of playing STK strolling through the traditional landscapes and scenery of that country. You already have available in this game countless other clues that are exactly as you like.

"But,... after so long is this what you have to show? So much suspense and anticipation created for an expressionless project?"
I did not create suspense or create expectations in your mind. You were the one who created expectance and you were the one who was too impatient.

"You practically reproduced what exists. Mills, buildings and houses are all very similar to what's real in the Netherlands. At STK, the scenery and all the architecture are fictitious and very different from reality."
Friend, I chose to make a track in the Netherlands because I wanted to play STk in the landscape of Holland. How can I recreate the Netherlands, where houses, squares, urbanization, and windmills are different from those that exist in Holland? Does it make sense to take months of free time to create a track in a Holland that doesn't look like Holland?

"This track has a lot of objects. STK tracks have to be practically" empty "- few houses, few trees and just one big highlighted scene. This kind of track takes time to load on less powerful computers"
The STK has been like this for several years and at some point, it needs to be completely left behind. The new computers support these graphics, reasonably well.

"I don't like trams. Don't include them on the track", "remove the windmills", "the city has too many buildings; reduce the amount", "so that so many channels? Leave just one and eliminate the others", "take it off", "include it"..
These are not comments or criticisms; these are attempts to rule my project.

"At this point, the least important aspect is the graphic aspect. Where is the track to test and do I know if it is fun or boring?"
Since I have explained this to Alayan and many times to others, it's complete nonsense someone else asking this again. I have said this before, but I will make it clear once again: I want everyone to study the theme before testing the track and say whether it is fun or not just based on the feeling of difficulty and ignoring what all the cultural elements in this track portrays.

"I don't like your track designs. I like the" A "," B "and" C "tracks because I'm a fan of them."
Then, just play the tracks of A, B and C and be happy having fun with them far from this one. ;)
Last edited by GeekPenguinBR on 12 Oct 2020, 12:48, edited 2 times in total.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby tempAnon093 » 12 Oct 2020, 07:26

That's looking excellent, actually!
Coming up with a name may be hard because the level is so detailed that it has many different parts (city, countryside, factory, coast), so it's hard to find words which describe the whole track. Is the rural section bigger than the rest, or do the areas have about the same size?
Windmill Way? Tulip Tour?
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 12 Oct 2020, 11:44

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:That's looking excellent, actually!

Thanks a lot, Anon!

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}: Coming up with a name may be hard because the level is so detailed that it has many different parts (city, countryside, factory, coast), so it's hard to find words which describe the whole track. (...)

I'm finding it hard to choose a name that best describes this track. There many different and important Dutch cultural elements in it and I can't just simply pick only one to name the track after it.

Besides these ones, shown in the screenshots, I will add a cheese market, a garden, a square, and a district with "floating" houses that looks like Giethoorn.
Then, I need opinions.

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}: Is the rural section bigger than the rest, or do the areas have about the same size?

The total rural section is bigger, but the zone where you can drive is smaller than the urban part where the driveline passes by.
Track Map 12-10.jpg

By the way: upon the cheese market. I am intending to add one with a few cultural elements taken from the real one in Alkmaar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BG7Bj8DaLA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7edMEdBgy7A

Then, maybe I will put Sara dressed in a Dutch costume (traditional Dutch skirt, cogs, and the Dutch female hat) and maybe one of the characters (probably Tux) playing the accordion, while the Dutch girl says "Welkom" (Welcome) but there is a technical "difficulty" beyond finding a Dutch woman to be the voice there: it will be needed at least a few dozen pieces of cheese. Even if the will be named giant cheese, not less than 40 will be necessary, but this will add a lot more trees.

Ideas? Suggestions?

I hope everyone likes the project since the result will be very colorful and beautiful. Not to mention the sky, with a special color, clouds, the rainbow, and, of course, a theme song that matches and harmonizes with the location and its culture.

Greetings!
GeekPenguinBR

Postby GunChleoc » 12 Oct 2020, 16:17

Just from the screenshots, I'd say 1 or 4 would make a natural starting point, because they have a gate.
GunChleoc

Postby fracture » 12 Oct 2020, 16:22

Looking decent so far. When are you going to release a demo of the track (like Sven did with new fort magma)?
fracture

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 12 Oct 2020, 18:17

GunChleoc {l Wrote}:Just from the screenshots, I'd say 1 or 4 would make a natural starting point, because they have a gate.

I totally agree. Let's see what the majority think, but I prefer the city gate.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 12 Oct 2020, 18:40

fracture {l Wrote}:Looking decent so far. When are you going to release a demo of the track (like Sven did with new fort magma)?

It would (should) be this week, but I have a technical problem with my monitor. I live in a district where voltage fluctuations and rapid power outages often occur. This all made my monitor start to display colors and a grid instead of a normal image. So, I have to call the technical assistance or take the monitor to the workshop. Under normal circumstances there wouldn't be much inconvenience, but the pandemic is happening, so I don't want strangers in my house and I also want to avoid unnecessary contact. The quickest solution is to buy another monitor (which will be the third in two years).

I can't, also, send the files to Worldblender, because I didn't export to Blender the recent updates made this weekend. Then, I need to solve this problem as soon as possible.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby Alayan » 12 Oct 2020, 20:45

I get the feeling you work too much off a checklist. "I must include this, and this, and this", and then you model the different things, and then put them next to each other. A track needs to feel as one entity, not a patch of very different things put together. Trying to get too much of the cultural, architectural and geographical points of interest of a whole country (or many countries for your 1001 nights project) together risks overreaching and losing the feeling of unity a track should give.

It's hard to judge your screenshots. The modelling is of good quality, but there is no proper lighting in your maya screenshots, so it's like minimum graphics settings. With proper lighting, shadows... it may look very good, but it's hard to tell. Rendering would be required to tell more.

You should strongly consider diving into Blender and modelling with Blender 2.83, this would remove this whole porting step from your future projects and would make the export process painless enough that you could give demos and in-game screenshots.

It's hard to judge textures for the same reason, so I won't comment on it. It can't be worse than the terrible textures many STK tracks have anyway. Maybe running some textures through filters like Sven has done for his projects could allow to make them more "cartoonish" if needed, but I think it's fine to stay with a semi-realistic style.

- Medieval style city gate : why not
- Urban channel : looks very good. I don't like the facebook-like "I like Rodedam" however.
- Coast : it looks like the flowers aren't proper 3D, but this can easily be fixed. The boat that can be seen should be made to move, like Gran Paradisio's airplane : it will make the track more alive. The flag should be altered. Significant issue : the road is clearly polygonal. Road curves should be smooth enough that the player can't point out straight lines making up the border. I assume this issue applies to many other spots in the track.
- Rural zone : the houses need paths to the road to feel integrated and not just put on the ground randomly. The completely flat grass is an issue many STK tracks suffer from, but it hurts in this rural section as it's a predominant element. The spot with the houses looks like it may give a boring vibe. In-game testing will tell more, but maybe more emphasis on other aspects of rural netherlands will make this section more thematically coherent and visually interesting. Also, in a Netherlands theme, the road would make more sense with asphalt/cobbles than dirt. If it directly connects a bunch of buildings, it won't be dirt. Dirt is for true farmroads.
- Look at your screenshot from the top, all your sections are neat rectangles... Give curves more love, and put the farm in a spot where what's behind the barriers will be more visible.
- Factories aren't very exciting architecturally. As your driveline stays outside the buildings anyway, I think it would make more sense to have the road pass in front of the factory (where you can still see the models you did, the logo, and so on) but not on its grounds. Public roads don't have a habit of going through private grounds.
Alayan
STK Moderator

Postby SvenAndreasBelting » 12 Oct 2020, 20:47

Hi

the track looks very promising so far!

I like the general style of the track and most of the models do look really nice. I'm looking forward to test the track :)

The only thing I noticed is that some of the textures are looking a bit to "clean"/"computer generated" in my opinion.
Maybe you could try to use the gray scale of some other textures and blend them into your textures to get some more interesting looking textures.
But that's only an idea maybe you want your textures to look as they do ;)
SvenAndreasBelting

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 12 Oct 2020, 21:08

SvenAndreasBelting {l Wrote}:Hi

the track looks very promising so far!

I like the general style of the track and most of the models do look really nice. I'm looking forward to test the track :)

The only thing I noticed is that some of the textures are looking a bit to "clean"/"computer generated" in my opinion.
Maybe you could try to use the gray scale of some other textures and blend them into your textures to get some more interesting looking textures.
But that's only an idea maybe you want your textures to look as they do ;)

Do you mean absence of dust, dirt and stains? Well, I am in favor of using it all over the textures. but I have watched many videos and I could notice that even in the rural zones, the houses look like if they were recently painted. That's why I left all textures "clean".

Here, you can see what I mean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEf9LifK2Q0

In any case, the brick textures that you see at the city gate, on the bridge, in buildings and other objects are not definitive and many will have a more aged appearance with slime, dust and peeled, failed paint like I did before in "1750" and "Viking Ring Fortress".
Last edited by GeekPenguinBR on 21 Oct 2020, 17:19, edited 1 time in total.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 12 Oct 2020, 22:27

Alayan {l Wrote}: I get the feeling you work too much off a checklist. "I must include this, and this, and this", and then you model the different things, and then put them next to each other. A track needs to feel as one entity, not a patch of very different things put together. Trying to get too much of the cultural, architectural and geographical points of interest of a whole country (or many countries for your 1001 nights project) together risks overreaching and losing the feeling of unity a track should give.

It's true, but even if this seems weird, it happens in the Netherlands. You will see almost everything togheter If you watch a video showing some Dutch cities: you start seeing a urban place loke the main channel and it buildings and bridges, so the person goes to the city surrounds and you start seeing a pier and next, a big windmill. Believe me: I didn't take that from nothing or from my imagination. Maybe you have been in the Netherlands as tourist, but not everyone on this forum have been there. Anyway, these videos show perfectly what I mean.

Take a look when you have a time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQVkV7JXIEI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-QS_Kh_i6o

Alayan {l Wrote}: It's hard to judge your screenshots. The modelling is of good quality, but there is no proper lighting in your maya screenshots, so it's like minimum graphics settings. With proper lighting, shadows... it may look very good, but it's hard to tell. Rendering would be required to tell more.

As I said, the screenshots don't do justice and the general appearance is by far better when rendered and it will be even better in-game, of course.

Alayan {l Wrote}:You should strongly consider diving into Blender and modelling with Blender 2.83, this would remove this whole porting step from your future projects and would make the export process painless enough that you could give demos and in-game screenshots.

Yes, of course. Unfortunately, my workflow is not as fast in Blender as it is when I work on the software I'm used to. Then, I"m really fast using Maya.

Alayan {l Wrote}:It's hard to judge textures for the same reason, so I won't comment on it. It can't be worse than the terrible textures many STK tracks have anyway.

It's obvious that they are not. I wouldnt expend a lot of time doing good 3D to apply bad textures. ;)

Alayan {l Wrote}: - Medieval style city gate : why not
- Urban channel : looks very good. I don't like the facebook-like "I like Rodedam" however.

It's a pity. I thought most would like it. It is a reference to the famous "I Amsterdam"me and I don't know how to replace this sign. Any suggestion?

Alayan {l Wrote}: - Coast : it looks like the flowers aren't proper 3D, but this can easily be fixed. The boat that can be seen should be made to move, like Gran Paradisio's airplane : it will make the track more alive. The flag should be altered.

The flowers are a provisory free texture I found, and I will do my own texture, but this demand some time. The red tanker ship is anchored, but the track will show animated windmills, animated boat (the tourist boat on the main channel), animated trams and, maybe, animated people riding bikes. I think it's a lot of animations.

Alayan {l Wrote}: Significant issue : the road is clearly polygonal.

Then, this is not an issue, since that is not the track. That thing is just a poorly modeled plan I put over the terrain to show you where the driveline probably will pass by, I would never do a crap object like that in one of my tracks. ;)

I will make the definitive driveline when I have no doubts about the shape.

EDIT: I answered from memory, so, I confused the sectors and I assumed you talked about the rural road. After reading again, I realized you talked about that curve in the dyke, set in the coastal sector, not about the rural road.

You are right. I will fix that increasing the number of edges.

Alayan {l Wrote}: - Rural zone : the houses need paths to the road to feel integrated and not just put on the ground randomly. The completely flat grass is an issue many STK tracks suffer from, but it hurts in this rural section as it's a predominant element.

Well, I just copied the layout I have seen in the real Netherlands, however, the track still lacks a lof of elements and objects. Paths in the rural area are just one of them in my list, Don't worry. Everything will be there when the track is finished. The grass is a generic texture from the STK librarym but I intend to use PBR if possible.

Alayan {l Wrote}: Also, in a Netherlands theme, the road would make more sense with asphalt/cobbles than dirt. If it directly connects a bunch of buildings, it won't be dirt. Dirt is for true farmroads.

But it's already thus, not? Look at the urban streets and you will see cobbles and asphalt instead dirt road, The only place with dirt road is the rural terrain.

Alayan {l Wrote}: - Look at your screenshot from the top, all your sections are neat rectangles... Give curves more love, and put the farm in a spot where what's behind the barriers will be more visible.

Ok. No problem. I will turn the corners rounded, but this will add a lof of tris.

Alayan {l Wrote}: - Factories aren't very exciting architecturally. As your driveline stays outside the buildings anyway, I think it would make more sense to have the road pass in front of the factory (where you can still see the models you did, the logo, and so on) but not on its grounds. Public roads don't have a habit of going through private grounds.

I will spot the farm instead the factory like you said, but a driveline passing through a factory is not new on STK and would be not even the top 20 absurd situations found in official tracks of the game, since we had or have karts passing through a private farm, a private hacienda, a private mansion, a private classroom, a volcano, a road in the outer space... :lol:

Well, all observations are noted and I will modify or improve everything.
Last edited by GeekPenguinBR on 13 Oct 2020, 16:11, edited 6 times in total.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby tempAnon093 » 12 Oct 2020, 23:34

GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:I totally agree. Let's see what the majority think, but I prefer the city gate.

Definitely, I just assumed it was the start line by how it looked (large obvious archway on straight track).

GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:[...]driveline passing through a factory is not new on STK and would be not even the top 20 absurd situations found in official tracks of the game

Yeah, while I can't know without testing, the factory seems like a nice, short, fun landmark. I don't see an issue with both public and private road being in the track. I was never suspending my disbelief like that, it's a cartoony game.

I do agree with Alayan that so far this feels like a medley of distinct zones with different feelings, like Nostalgia add-on (but not as extreme, of course). It's not enough to bother me so long as the transitions aren't too rapid (and I feel that's where I agree with the 'block'/straight lines criticism), but I think that kind of thing could make it less likely to be added into core, if that's your aim.
I feel Alayan's recommendation of adding stone road in the rural area will help unify the theme a bit, instead of it looking like a patch of green/brown dirt road in the countryside, then changing to a patch of grey factory, then a patch of a colorful city/town urban map. To me it feels like green/tan/grey are the closest to unifying colors for the whole track so far.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 13 Oct 2020, 00:18

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}: the factory seems like a nice, short, fun landmark. I don't see an issue with both public and private road being in the track. I was never suspending my disbelief like that, it's a cartoony game.

I have the same opinion, but I have not also something against to contour the factory passing by the farm. Makes no difference for me.

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}: I do agree with Alayan that so far this feels like a medley of distinct zones with different feelings, like Nostalgia add-on (but not as extreme, of course). It's not enough to bother me so long as the transitions aren't too rapid (and I feel that's where I agree with the 'block'/straight lines criticism), but I think that kind of thing could make it less likely to be added into core, if that's your aim.

I put some links for videos showing Dutch towns where you see exactly that all togheter: buildings, houses, pier, windmills and everything else near each other.
I always make my projects trying to put quality for any free game, what cover the main game (STK), but never expcting they will put my track on the main game. It's indifferent. My goal is to make people around the world have fun playng tracks that have themes nobody wanted to create for STK.

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}: I feel Alayan's recommendation of adding stone road in the rural area will help unify the theme a bit, instead of it looking like a patch of green/brown dirt road in the countryside, then changing to a patch of grey factory, then a patch of a colorful city/town urban map. To me it feels like green/tan/grey are the closest to unifying colors for the whole track so far.

As I said, that "driveline" is not the final. Much less the texture I applied. I will try to find a better texture for the road in the rural zone, but the transitions are mandatory, since the urban zone will be paved with cobblestones and asphalt and the rural road will be textured with something that matches the terrain and all the concept.

But, what are the suggestions to name the track?
GeekPenguinBR

Postby tempAnon093 » 13 Oct 2020, 01:22

GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:I always make my projects trying to put quality for any free game, what cover the main game (STK), but never expcting they will put my track on the main game. It's indifferent. My goal is to make people around the world have fun playng tracks that have themes nobody wanted to create for STK.

Well, I can tell you already that you have done an excellent job of it. Thank you for all the effort you have put in to these tracks (as you can tell, we are excited for them!)

GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:But, what are the suggestions to name the track?

Haha yes, we all went a bit off-topic giving feedback on what we've seen of the track.
I did make a couple of suggestions in the first reply, I did want to suggest something like '[x] Flatlands' but it doesn't sound like a positive name to me. 'Town' might also be a good word to describe the whole place. You did give a suggestion with 'Tulip' in it, which I think could become a motif or theme in the map (and they are associated with the Netherlands, which is a nice hint at the track's inspiration). It's a pleasant word for the place, so it fits the STK name theming. Something like Tulip Town could work, and there's lots of places you can add tulips in, in both the rural and urban areas!
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 13 Oct 2020, 01:32

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:
GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:I always make my projects trying to put quality for any free game, what cover the main game (STK), but never expcting they will put my track on the main game. It's indifferent. My goal is to make people around the world have fun playng tracks that have themes nobody wanted to create for STK.

Well, I can tell you already that you have done an excellent job of it. Thank you for all the effort you have put in to these tracks (as you can tell, we are excited for them!)

Thank you very much!

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:
GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:But, what are the suggestions to name the track?

Haha yes, we all went a bit off-topic giving feedback on what we've seen of the track.

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:I did make a couple of suggestions in the first reply, I did want to suggest something like '[x] Flatlands' but it doesn't sound like a positive name to me.

Yes, I saw that and you were the only one who suggested a name. I expected someone would appear to suggest "Flatland". :lol:

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}: Town' might also be a good word to describe the whole place. You did give a suggestion with 'Tulip' in it, which I think could become a motif or theme in the map (and they are associated with the Netherlands, which is a nice hint at the track's inspiration). It's a pleasant word for the place, so it fits the STK name theming. Something like Tulip Town could work, and there's lots of places you can add tulips in, in both the rural and urban areas!

Tulip Town is a decent name to consider.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 13 Oct 2020, 19:39

Hello again, guys!

Well, this is not a text that needs to be read by everyone or I am asking you to read it. It is just a published clarification that I can quote at any time if someone comes up again with any of the doubts and assumptions that arose yesterday and have already been answered (but without details) and are now mentioned and explained in detail below.

As I said yesterday, I had a serious technical issue with my monitor. Then, I need to wait for the new one arrives (I decided to not go to the mall near my home to buy in person). Meanwhile, I will not able to work in any project for STK, but some clarifications must be done.

That said, I would like to eliminate some possible doubts and suspicions that may have arisen from the interpretation of the screenshots that I have published.

The dirt road
The first doubt or assumption may arise from the interpretation of this image below:
Factory a.jpg

In it, you see a dirt track passing through a factory that has a concrete yard, and it is obvious that this would be an aberration. A sub-child quality work produced by someone very stupid. Here, the same factory wthout the ridicule dirt road, but now, you see the proper texture.

Factory b.jpg

Consider this screenshot as an erasure of that one above.

I would never do a mess like this, obviously. Not even when I was a kid.

I was twelve when a teacher asked each student in the class to make a urban mockup/model with an ecological theme. All students took a small house made of cardboard on a Styrofoam sheet. I was the only one who made a model of two blocks with buildings, school, supermarket, square, streetlights, traffic signs and plants. Everything on a wooden plank. My buildings had doors and windows with frames and even simulation of marble, all hand made done and in scale, even though it was three years before I studied construction projects at the technical school (before switching to electronics, which was the course I attended and concluded). Architecture and urban projects were never a problem for me, since I drew naturally and on an exact scale taking measurements of walls, furniture and appliances even without having studied it. Earlier that year, I had already drawn the blueprint for my grandparents' new house. The hired engineer just had to copy the layout and produce his official design following legal presentation standards for the plan to be approved by local authorities.

It wouldn't be now, more than 20 years later, that I would start doing child-level and poorly done work.

Why did I publish this image, then? As already mentioned, my monitor started to show a problem and I couldn't waste any time. So I took the chance and made a "collage" of a poorly made and textured "track" with sand, since most of the visible track (the invisible driveline is in the city under the asphalt and pavement cobblestones) is in the countryside where grassy terrain predominates. Here is the explanation to Alayan:

GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}: Then, this is not an issue, since that is not the track. That thing is just a poorly modeled plan I put over the terrain to show you where the driveline probably will pass by, I would never do a crap object like that in one of my tracks. ;)

In short: urban streets and bridges are paved with asphalt or cobblestones, rural grassy terrain has a proper road and the factory (that will be no more a local where the karts will pass by) is paved with concret tiles. ;)

The textures
The second possible assumption was raised by Sven and is related to the textures and their supposed lack of realism.

He is partly right to interpret it this way, since only I saw the textures I made and the screenshots have very low quality in terms of definition and lighting. So, it was not possible to show the realistic texture of the bricks nor can you see them as realistic under the effect of the displacement map. The same with the textures of the houses and wooden mills, which also have a 3D effect with bump map and have wear, peeled parts and some slime in the footer. However, as I said to Sven, I noticed that the rural houses in the Netherlands look like freshly painted. They look new. Even so, I'm going to add some wear and aging to give it more realism.

The same will be done on the bricks of the bridges and the medieval gate of the city, where everything looks new in the screenshots, but it will be well developed.

The grassy terrain
The third assumption is about the grassy terrain.

It is a known fact that the rural landscape of the Netherlands has vast flat areas of uncultivated land and only covered with low grass. The problem is that, in any game, whether STK, Asseto Corsa, Formula 1, Euro Truck or any other, the grass is made only of texture and looks like a large wallpaper applied over the terrain. It is no different with STK. Large areas of grassy land look like concrete yard painted green and are monotonous and ugly to see (it is not monotonous or ugly on the other tracks, no one bothers about it, but on my tracks this would be unforgivable), as I will solve this technical deficiency of most games to prevent large areas of grass on my track from appearing dull and ugly to see?

The first solution is to spread several fields of grass in all parts of the land so that everything does not look like a concrete floor painted green. The second solution is to try to add realistic (non-photographic) textures with PBR, to create a visual relief effect.

The cultural tour
The fourth explanation is about a supposed exaggeration of cultural elements mixed in one place.

As artificial as it may seem, this is quite common in the Dutch landscape. Cities where you do enter passing by medieval gates with towers are full of narrow brick buildings on the banks of canals with bridges, but have rural surroundings, where there are canals dug out of grassy terrain, white bridges and many wooden houses beyond of windmills, obviously. So it is not an exaggeration to have this all on a track that represents the Netherlands and I just hope you take that.

If a tour by a Dutch town passes through a medieval castle gate with towers, buildings and brick bridges, a pier with tourist boats and fishing boats, and a rural area with wooden houses and windmills, why would it be exaggerated or even even ridiculous for me to reproduce all this on my track. I want each player to have the feeling of walking through very representative areas of the Netherlands and my track will be the ticket to ride.

Faceted Curves
The fifth observation was made by Alayan and refers to straight corners and supposed polygonal modeling.

Well, I want to make it clear that all modeling is work in progress, and this means that it is not yet completely finished. Therefore, corners of brick buildings and curves will be more rounded, but I need to finish modeling objects first to see how many "tris" the track will have in order not to exceed the 120 k tris limit created by the developers of the previous team.

The curve in the dike (in the coastal area between the port and the countryside) is very polygonal, but it is still rough and designed to test driveability. That part will come undone and remade properly.
Curve.jpg

However, I need to remember that the leader artist of the previous team preferred modeling with very apparent polygons and even criticized my modeling, perfectly round, as something inappropriate for the game. According to him, the correct thing is to make objects with faceted modeling with visible straight edges.
https://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=6934&p=68986&hilit=For+instance+the+TV+VAN+has+an+insane+amount#p68986

Ok, these two examples are different: one is a curve while the other is a aditional object, but It seems that the current developers started a new order and prefers what I have always done.

After this long and wide text I may even look like a fool on the hill of a bla-bla-bla that nobody will read, but I have the feeling that these topics are something to be cleared after the opinons posted yesterday. I hope that no doubt will remain after this post.

Cheers.
Last edited by GeekPenguinBR on 14 Oct 2020, 13:51, edited 1 time in total.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby GunChleoc » 14 Oct 2020, 09:37

Please keep in mind that when people give you comments, it's not to criticise your abilities, but to give you ideas for improving the track. Of course, if you have already improved a point that was brought up, no need to do anything ;)
GunChleoc

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 14 Oct 2020, 13:46

GunChleoc {l Wrote}:Please keep in mind that when people give you comments, it's not to criticise your abilities, but to give you ideas for improving the track. Of course, if you have already improved a point that was brought up, no need to do anything ;)

Hi, GunChleoc!

Yes, foe sure. I'm not against criticism, anywaym and I didn't misuderstand the observations posted by Alayan, Sven, Amon and everyone, I just anticipated someone who might appear on the Forum (and there is no way to know if and who can appear and what they can write silly), read the criticisms of developers and community members about, for example, provisional textures (mainly , that dirt road inside the factory) and say "Dude, how stupid you are! Nobody puts a dirt road on a concrete ground. Does the whole world need to point out its mistakes for you to realize what everyone has seen wrong?" :lol:

I'm not that snowflake, man, ;) but I can't avoid fool noobs misunderstand what was said by Alayan and all the rest of the guys.

By the way: what's your suggestion to name the track? Did you like my owns, Amon's suggestion or have you your own?
GeekPenguinBR

Postby GunChleoc » 14 Oct 2020, 19:16

I can't think of a better name suggestion. Tulip Town should do it.
GunChleoc

Postby Alayan » 14 Oct 2020, 19:22

I kind of liked the Tulip Town suggestion. What's good with it is that you can put the relevant flowers both in the urban and rural parts to create an unifying element. I said earlier that I was worried about the track ending up as a patchwork of parts that while related on theme (netherlands) give too different vibes. This could be one way to improve this. Another will be through dominant colors and through some shared models - urban and rural areas are expected to look different, there is some leeway there.

But there could be other variations, like Tulip Road, Tulip Way...

GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:
Alayan {l Wrote}: I get the feeling you work too much off a checklist. "I must include this, and this, and this", and then you model the different things, and then put them next to each other. A track needs to feel as one entity, not a patch of very different things put together. Trying to get too much of the cultural, architectural and geographical points of interest of a whole country (or many countries for your 1001 nights project) together risks overreaching and losing the feeling of unity a track should give.

It's true, but even if this seems weird, it happens in the Netherlands. You will see almost everything togheter If you watch a video showing some Dutch cities: you start seeing a urban place loke the main channel and it buildings and bridges, so the person goes to the city surrounds and you start seeing a pier and next, a big windmill. Believe me: I didn't take that from nothing or from my imagination. Maybe you have been in the Netherlands as tourist, but not everyone on this forum have been there. Anyway, these videos show perfectly what I mean.

Take a look when you have a time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQVkV7JXIEI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-QS_Kh_i6o

Nice videos, but these are fully urban scenes. There is nothing rural here. The main worry was that the country part of the track would feel patched on the urban part with both giving quite different vibes.

The medieval city gate next to the channel with its houses and bridge was not the part that had me worried for track unity. Also, I had read your text on 1001 nights and felt like your plan to have old city, desert with petrol field, modern city, ali-baba cave... went too far and lost focus.

GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:
Alayan {l Wrote}: - Medieval style city gate : why not

It's a pity. I thought most would like it. It is a reference to the famous "I Amsterdam"me and I don't know how to replace this sign. Any suggestion?

I just read about it. Without the "am" of amsterdam, the word-play doesn't work. In any case, these letters are ugly and are a stylistic break from the normal urban environment. I don't have any replacement suggestion, but I'm not sure anything is really needed.

GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:
Alayan {l Wrote}: - Coast : it looks like the flowers aren't proper 3D, but this can easily be fixed. The boat that can be seen should be made to move, like Gran Paradisio's airplane : it will make the track more alive. The flag should be altered.

The flowers are a provisory free texture I found, and I will do my own texture, but this demand some time. The red tanker ship is anchored, but the track will show animated windmills, animated boat (the tourist boat on the main channel), animated trams and, maybe, animated people riding bikes. I think it's a lot of animations.

That would be a decent amount of animation. Animated bikes with people would be a nice touch.

The trams will also help, do you remember my suggestion on how to place the tram line relative to the driveline ?

GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:
Alayan {l Wrote}: Also, in a Netherlands theme, the road would make more sense with asphalt/cobbles than dirt. If it directly connects a bunch of buildings, it won't be dirt. Dirt is for true farmroads.

But it's already thus, not? Look at the urban streets and you will see cobbles and asphalt instead dirt road, The only place with dirt road is the rural terrain.

My point was that in north-western europe, a road that connects a bunch of houses close to each other is not going to be a dirt road. It might be a really narrow road but it will be asphalted or cobbled, depending on location and when the road was done. Dirt road are exclusive to much less used roads, like private roads, farm roads, forest roads that don't connect anything special... As the country road in your track is shown to connect several houses and mills, it wouldn't be dirt.

GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:
Alayan {l Wrote}: - Look at your screenshot from the top, all your sections are neat rectangles... Give curves more love, and put the farm in a spot where what's behind the barriers will be more visible.

Ok. No problem. I will turn the corners rounded, but this will add a lof of tris.

Adding tris ? I'm not sure we understood each other.

I was talking about your general layout, your "minimap" of sorts. Not about individual models. For many models, hard angles make sense (buildings).

GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:
Alayan {l Wrote}: - Factories aren't very exciting architecturally. As your driveline stays outside the buildings anyway, I think it would make more sense to have the road pass in front of the factory (where you can still see the models you did, the logo, and so on) but not on its grounds. Public roads don't have a habit of going through private grounds.

I will spot the farm instead the factory like you said, but a driveline passing through a factory is not new on STK and would be not even the top 20 absurd situations found in official tracks of the game, since we had or have karts passing through a private farm, a private hacienda, a private mansion, a private classroom, a volcano, a road in the outer space... :lol:

You have a focus on making your track rather realistic, so my suggestion went along. And I think it would be better overall for this specific track. Going inside the factory grounds would start making sense if the karts would visit part of the inside, but that would detract too much from the rest of the track.

Quality tracks are one big bottleneck for 2.0, so I would like to make use of your work for the main game. My suggestions aim to help improve the gameplay and the visual style so that it can be a top-quality track.

GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:The third assumption is about the grassy terrain.

It is a known fact that the rural landscape of the Netherlands has vast flat areas of uncultivated land and only covered with low grass. The problem is that, in any game, whether STK, Asseto Corsa, Formula 1, Euro Truck or any other, the grass is made only of texture and looks like a large wallpaper applied over the terrain. It is no different with STK. Large areas of grassy land look like concrete yard painted green and are monotonous and ugly to see (it is not monotonous or ugly on the other tracks, no one bothers about it, but on my tracks this would be unforgivable), as I will solve this technical deficiency of most games to prevent large areas of grass on my track from appearing dull and ugly to see?

The first solution is to spread several fields of grass in all parts of the land so that everything does not look like a concrete floor painted green. The second solution is to try to add realistic (non-photographic) textures with PBR, to create a visual relief effect.

This "large wallpaper" and "concret yard painted green" effects are exactly what worried me with the grassy area.

Some other ideas on how to avoid this : https://github.com/supertuxkart/stk-code/issues/3053

GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:The fifth observation was made by Alayan and refers to straight corners and supposed polygonal modeling.

Well, I want to make it clear that all modeling is work in progress, and this means that it is not yet completely finished. Therefore, corners of brick buildings and curves will be more rounded, but I need to finish modeling objects first to see how many "tris" the track will have in order not to exceed the 120 k tris limit created by the developers of the previous team.

Corner of brick buildings may be squared if your matching irl models are too, that was not my concern. It was the road shape that was my concern.

GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:However, I need to remember that the leader artist of the previous team preferred modeling with very apparent polygons and even criticized my modeling, perfectly round, as something inappropriate for the game. According to him, the correct thing is to make objects with faceted modeling with visible straight edges.
https://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=6934&p=68986&hilit=For+instance+the+TV+VAN+has+an+insane+amount#p68986

Ok, these two examples are different: one is a curve while the other is a aditional object, but It seems that the current developers started a new order and prefers what I have always done.

In my opinion, there are two main limitation on how accurate modelling can be : the time required to model the object (some things can be partially automated, e.g. using symmetries, height maps...) and the in-game performance.

I looked at the example you linked, and visually at least I prefer your model over sam's suggestion. I don't know how much this is visible in-game, but I suspect your polygons are hardly noticeable while sam's are if you look at the VAN. That said, your own model had excessive detail for the tip of the antenna. The borders of the parabola are very visible, the very tip of the antenna not so much. So when I'm saying more details is better, it's in context of what's noticeable of course, if it makes hardly any visual difference in-game even when pausing in front of the object and looking straight at it, it crosses the line to not worth it.

For STK 2.0, hopefuly, we will fix the engine so that having a lot of scene nodes doesn't trash performance. Currently, LOD is rather ineffective at improving perf because it means even more objects to consider. In an improved engine, LOD should allow to use lower-poly models when at a high draw distance or when using a lower geometry detail setting. This means that highly detailed modelling would not be a problem for performance.
Alayan
STK Moderator

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 14 Oct 2020, 19:30

GunChleoc {l Wrote}:I can't think of a better name suggestion. Tulip Town should do it.

So, I need to spot a garden with tulips or a road near/passing through a tulip field If this is the pick by the community.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 14 Oct 2020, 20:06

Alayan {l Wrote}:I kind of liked the Tulip Town suggestion. What's good with it is that you can put the relevant flowers both in the urban and rural parts to create an unifying element. I said earlier that I was worried about the track ending up as a patchwork of parts that while related on theme (netherlands) give too different vibes. This could be one way to improve this. Another will be through dominant colors and through some shared models - urban and rural areas are expected to look different, there is some leeway there.

But there could be other variations, like Tulip Road, Tulip Way...

So, by the majority of the votes, seems that we have a winner and The name must be "Tulip" related.

Alayan {l Wrote}:Nice videos, but these are fully urban scenes. There is nothing rural here. The main worry was that the country part of the track would feel patched on the urban part with both giving quite different vibes.

My bad, wrong videos, I have seen one that shows exactly what I mena, but the hystoric is on my PC ('I'm using a laptop these days) and I didn't managed to find the video again.

Alayan {l Wrote}: I just read about it. Without the "am" of amsterdam, the word-play doesn't work. In any case, these letters are ugly and are a stylistic break from the normal urban environment. I don't have any replacement suggestion, but I'm not sure anything is really needed.

Ok. I will find another solution.

Alayan {l Wrote}:That would be a decent amount of animation. Animated bikes with people would be a nice touch.
It's nice that you liked the idea.

Alayan {l Wrote}:The trams will also help, do you remember my suggestion on how to place the tram line relative to the driveline ?

Yes. I will try to do.

GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:

GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:But it's already thus, not? Look at the urban streets and you will see cobbles and asphalt instead dirt road, The only place with dirt road is the rural terrain.

Alayan {l Wrote}:My point was that in north-western europe, a road that connects a bunch of houses close to each other is not going to be a dirt road. It might be a really narrow road but it will be asphalted or cobbled, depending on location and when the road was done. Dirt road are exclusive to much less used roads, like private roads, farm roads, forest roads that don't connect anything special... As the country road in your track is shown to connect several houses and mills, it wouldn't be dirt.

Ok. O found exactly visual referrence for this road.

GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:

Adding tris ? I'm not sure we understood each other.

I was talking about your general layout, your "minimap" of sorts. Not about individual models. For many models, hard angles make sense (buildings).

Ok, it's clear now.

GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:

You have a focus on making your track rather realistic, so my suggestion went along. And I think it would be better overall for this specific track. Going inside the factory grounds would start making sense if the karts would visit part of the inside, but that would detract too much from the rest of the track.[/quote]
The is no problem in to avoid the factory yard since I can save work with textures for the trucks, etc. and the road may pass through a street with houses after the kart leaves the farm.

Alayan {l Wrote}:

Quality tracks are one big bottleneck for 2.0, so I would like to make use of your work for the main game. My suggestions aim to help improve the gameplay and the visual style so that it can be a top-quality track.

I'm taking notes and I will put all that I can.

Alayan {l Wrote}:
GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:The third assumption is about the grassy terrain.

This "large wallpaper" and "concret yard painted green" effects are exactly what worried me with the grassy area.

Some other ideas on how to avoid this : https://github.com/supertuxkart/stk-code/issues/3053

I will check and try it.

Alayan {l Wrote}: Corner of brick buildings may be squared if your matching irl models are too, that was not my concern. It was the road shape that was my concern.

Then, no problem. Be sure the road will be not plenty of polygons.

Alayan {l Wrote}:
GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:However, I need to remember that the leader artist of the previous team preferred modeling with very apparent polygons and even criticized my modeling, perfectly round, as something inappropriate for the game. According to him, the correct thing is to make objects with faceted modeling with visible straight edges.

In my opinion, there are two main limitation on how accurate modelling can be : the time required to model the object (some things can be partially automated, e.g. using symmetries, height maps...) and the in-game performance.

I looked at the example you linked, and visually at least I prefer your model over sam's suggestion. I don't know how much this is visible in-game, but I suspect yours are hardly noticeable while sam's are if you look at the VAN. That said, your own model had excessive detail for the tip of the antenna. The borders of the parabola are very visible, the very tip of the antenna not so much. So when I'm saying more details is better, it's in context of what's noticeable of course, if it makes hardly any visual difference in-game even when pausing in front of the object and looking straight at it, it crosses the line to not worth it.

For STK 2.0, hopefuly, we will fix the engine so that having a lot of scene nodes doesn't trash performance. Currently, LOD is rather ineffective at improving perf because it means even more objects to consider. In an improved engine, LOD should allow to use lower-poly models when at a high draw distance or when using a lower geometry detail setting. This means that highly detailed modelling would not be a problem for performance.

This is a good news. I'm always in favor of the best visual quality and this is my goal in this track.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby tempAnon093 » 15 Oct 2020, 01:02

GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:So, I need to spot a garden with tulips or a road near/passing through a tulip field If this is the pick by the community.

In the urban areas, I think it would be easiest to add tulips into gardens or maybe add small pots of them at the front of buildings, or planters on some streets. example 1, example 2, example 3. There are many options, depending on how the urban part looks.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 15 Oct 2020, 02:05

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:
GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:So, I need to spot a garden with tulips or a road near/passing through a tulip field If this is the pick by the community.

In the urban areas, I think it would be easiest to add tulips into gardens or maybe add small pots of them at the front of buildings, or planters on some streets. example 1, example 2, example 3. There are many options, depending on how the urban part looks.

Yes, and they also usually puts flowers on the windows of buildings, on lamp posts and, of course, in the squares. But I am considering putting up a garden like that too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KKZu4CMdfA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfAOhZwlees
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgdtoEfQfZA

However, I'm concerned about a possible technical issue for putting many layers of transparent texture one after another.
GeekPenguinBR