Hardest and easiest STK Tracks

Hardest and easiest STK Tracks

Postby fracture » 05 Oct 2020, 20:14

I'd like to know what people think the hardest and easiest tracks in the game are (including addons tracks). Here is what I consider to be the hardest and easiest in the game.

Hardest tracks:
* XR591 - all of the sharp u-turns make this somewhat challenging
* Minigolf - probably the only track in the game where it's actually difficult to complete every turn without coming to a stop
* Down by the River (addon) - although the track itself is very easy, this is one of the rare tracks where the AI actually knows how to drift and if you're playing on time trials, good luck not coming in last, even if you make no mistakes.
* Mountain Village (addon) - track is very narrow and has several sharp u-turns. I think it's impossible to complete this track without coming to a complete stop at least 2-3 times.
* Nolok's Factory (addon) - broken in 1.0. One path requires you to complete a very sharp turn while going very slowly because you're driving in a wooden crate. The other path has a minecart which is guaranteed to hit you no matter what, and if you mess up and end up crashing into a wall, it takes a bit of time before you go back to full speed.
* The Cube (addon) - two paths, one of which consists of the longest turns in the game (spirals) and the other consisting of sharp u-turns. Since the two paths are all locked in a cube, it is hard to tell who is in first and last place. Think N64 Yoshi Valley.

Easiest tracks:
* Shifting Sands
* Hacienda
* Ravenbridge Mansion
* That one broken mystic addon in which the AI gives up and gives you a free win.
* Amazonian Journey (addon) - very easy although the two paths are broken in length to where it's obvious which one you have to take to win.
* Art Museum (addon)
* Canyon 42 (addon)
* High in the Sky (addon) - since there are a few speed boosts and the AI never uses them, you're guaranteed to win every time.
* Mod Circuit (addon) - I think this was supposed to be some kind of tutorial track to resemble the Luigi Circuit tracks in mario kart.
fracture

Re: Hardest and easiest STK Tracks

Postby skindoormimiz » 05 Oct 2020, 21:02

Just a quick comment on your opinion, I can do 3 laps of The Cube in 45 seconds, I quite doubt it's that hard, same as Mountain Village. I agree Mod Circuit is a really easy track, because it's a copy of Mod Circuit from ModNation Racers

A lot of my tracks are considered hard, I would say the hardest ones are Rhomboor, Extreme Run, Quiet Breeze, Pyramid Clock (online play only), Sweet Cake and the four Twisted Library (mostly online).
I model my nightmares
skindoormimiz

Postby fracture » 05 Oct 2020, 21:11

The only reason you could do 3 laps in 45 seconds is because that track is somewhat broken. You must have taken some kind of shortcut (I did that once and it saved me a good 10-20 seconds). If not, then I must be pretty bad at this game.

Rhomboor is one of the worst addons tracks in my opinion, not only becuase you ripped off DS rainbow road, but also because of it's terrible design and you can't even see parts of the track sometimes. How long does it take you to make all of your tracks?
fracture

Postby skindoormimiz » 05 Oct 2020, 21:17

Every single track I made is from 0, it takes from 3 hours to 5 days to make a track for me. Can you send me a screenshot of the "unseen" track in Rhomboor?
I model my nightmares
skindoormimiz

Postby tempAnon093 » 06 Oct 2020, 05:24

Hardest including add-ons would be almost all of herrbrotkorb's (sommejul) tracks.

fracture {l Wrote}:* Mountain Village (addon) - track is very narrow and has several sharp u-turns. I think it's impossible to complete this track without coming to a complete stop at least 2-3 times.

It is a very challenging track with a few issues, and the AI legitimately struggle with the U-turns, but are you saying impossible without 2-3 stops per lap or per race? Not per lap, that's certain. There's the poorly-made final sharp U-turn on the way up the mountain that I can't do without stopping or leaving the track when driving a heavy kart, but apart from that you can certainly do the rest of it staying on the track and not stopping. It's possible to complete a race without stopping at all with a medium (would be easier if that 3rd U-turn and the right turn immediate after weren't bumpy due to bad modelling) and possible without dropping below 1.5 bars of speed with a light kart like Sara's motorcycle.
It's definitely one of the hardest though, and I like that. It took me a while to get used to entering corners properly and slowing down in a karting game, braking is usually optional in kart games.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby wax » 06 Oct 2020, 06:53

I must be pretty bad at this game.

That's it!
I can teach you to skid if you want. I think it would be useful to fix the 90% of errors that you say.
wax

Postby tempAnon093 » 06 Oct 2020, 13:12

fracture {l Wrote}:If not, then I must be pretty bad at this game.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions that quickly.
It matters a bit which route you take, but bigger factors are which difficulty (higher ones go faster) and kart type (heavier karts probably make it harder to turn sharp corners but allow higher top speed). If you keep hitting the walls in the cube, a lighter kart may save you seconds. And you go much faster in time trial, no bowling balls and swatters to dodge ;)
I also didn't realize how useful hopping is (jumping but not skidding allows you to turn a very tight corner)
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby fracture » 06 Oct 2020, 16:43

wax {l Wrote}:
I must be pretty bad at this game.

That's it!
I can teach you to skid if you want. I think it would be useful to fix the 90% of errors that you say.

I know how to skid just fine. When I said I was pretty bad I meant bad compared to many online players because I usually perform poorly online.
fracture