ReTux

ReTux

Postby onpon4 » 08 Sep 2020, 04:04

ReTux is back in business! Tux isn't, though; he's too busy worrying about his fish.

https://retux-game.github.io

Tux is just getting ready to go fishing when all of a sudden, he receives a message. The message states that his home, Icy Island, has been taken over by the Snow King, and a new Fish Tax will be imposed. Tux is furious! How dare the Snow King take away his fish?! Help Tux overthrow the Snow King and stop him from taking Tux's fish away!

ReTux is a libre open source action platformer loosely inspired by the Mario games, utilizing the art assets from the SuperTux project. The name "ReTux" is a play on the words "redux" and "Tux".

Although ReTux re-uses the art assets of SuperTux, no code from SuperTux is used in ReTux. The software portion of ReTux is entirely different, written in Python and based on the Seclusion Game Engine.

Also, just for the record, ReTux is not a clone of a game known as "Super Mario", or any game for that matter. It takes a lot of inspiration from the Mario games for sure, but the gameplay is quite different from most of them. In fact we specifically refused to follow a lot of mechanics that we feel makes the Mario games worse, even including the basic idea of how health works (we got our idea for health from the Sonic games, of all places). Nintendo does not and should not have a monopoly on original platformers in this general style.

ReTux is designed to make it easy to make levels, though it uses Tiled rather than a built-in level editor. A guide can be found here:

https://retux-game.github.io/leveledit/index.html

And info about the latest release can be found here:

https://github.com/retux-game/retux/releases/latest

Enjoy, and let me know what you think if you give it a try! :)
onpon4

Re: ReTux

Postby ffaf » 09 Sep 2020, 09:56

{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
f@extensa:~/download/retux-1.4-src$ ./retux.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./retux.py", line 39, in <module>
    import sge
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'sge'

Which dependency am I missing? I have installed pygame.
ffaf

Postby ffaf » 09 Sep 2020, 10:29

Oh, now I see the requirements.txt file. It was not mentioned in the readme, maybe add it!

launched it! It feels nice and a bit weird at times — me being used to Mario — but for sure interesting, I will comment when I have played it more
ffaf

Postby onpon4 » 09 Sep 2020, 16:38

Yes, we noticed this yesterday, sorry about that. It's fixed in Git and should be more properly informative next release.
onpon4

Postby Jastiv » 10 Sep 2020, 19:38

Ever consider having a different first level rather than a snowlands level. Even if you just recolored it neon colors no one would forget it. I think ReTux would stand out more in people's minds if there was a more iconic first level (everyone remembers the stupid 1st level in super mario)
I mean, everyone knows about super tux (Actually I think super tux gets too hard too fast.) but I like the fact that ReTux is different yet similar.
(Yeah, and this is a marketing complaint rather than anything to do really with code or level design, something I think is good.)
Jastiv

Postby farrer » 10 Sep 2020, 23:15

Played it a bit here, very polished so far. The only thing that annoyed me a bit was the camera somewhat abrupt move (backwards) when moving Tux is blocked by some scenery (pipes, blocks, etc). A more smooth camera move on this case would be far better in my opinion.
farrer

Postby onpon4 » 11 Sep 2020, 17:53

We actually fixed the camera issue just the other day (release not updated yet): https://github.com/retux-game/retux/issues/1

Ever consider having a different first level rather than a snowlands level. Even if you just recolored it neon colors no one would forget it. I think ReTux would stand out more in people's minds if there was a more iconic first level (everyone remembers the stupid 1st level in super mario)

I wouldn't mind a style change but neon colors doesn't sound like a particularly good one to me.

As for iconic first level, that's easier said than done. The first level also has to teach core mechanics and be accessible to newcomers. I'm not sure I would know how to make it iconic. Feel free to try your hand at it, though! ;)
onpon4

Postby onpon4 » 16 Sep 2020, 04:23

A small bugfix release is out which fixes the camera issue and a couple other things:

https://github.com/retux-game/retux/rel ... g/v1.4.1-1
onpon4