Idea for a New Achievement or Handicap or Game Mode

Idea for a New Achievement or Handicap or Game Mode

Postby eltomito » 12 Sep 2020, 21:56

I've noticed that I feel a little ashamed when I shoot down a car behind me or swat somebody, because shooting backwards and using the swatter seem cowardly to me. It's probably because if somebody is behind me, they're at a disadvantage compared to me and it's mean to bully the disadvantaged. So, I developed this concept of STK Chivalry, which means never shooting backwards and only using the swatter to get rid of a bomb, a parachute, etc. but not to swat others.

It could be used as an achievement (you won 10 consecutive races while following the rules of chivalry!) or as an online handicap which would simply not allow you to do these things. Alternatively, all players could decide to play this way.

To clarify, I don''t think shooting backward or swatting people is bad or not fun. I just think that optionally not doing it is another way to enrich STK.
eltomito

Re: Idea for a New Achievement or Handicap or Game Mode

Postby kimden » 13 Sep 2020, 01:49

Interesting, I like it. Also how about no cakes mode? To shoot backwards successfully, you actually need to spend some time or to know exactly where the rival is located, while caking is pure luck and requires no skill and i hate it!!! (well, one needs to throw a cake not from another side of a corner which is actually not obvious but it is another story).

Well, why not just counting all the powerups used and creating various achievements if we speak this way? No swatters, no cakes, no gums, not using powerups at all, no nitro usage for some number of races to win.

Another thing is that a big number of achievements can be confusing, but the existing ones are not enough for sure (maybe there can be some online achievements - beating current top 1, top 3, top 10 on ranked? Some soccer things?)
I make servers, addons, online events, and many others things.
my page, my STK fork, my youtube channel
kimden

Postby tempAnon093 » 13 Sep 2020, 02:57

I have a concept that is kind of similar for offline racing, where I would try and win races only by doing similar racing style to the bot players (no skidding on straight track, little-to-no nitro) or by avoiding items I saw as too powerful against AI like basketballs and zippers, so basically me trying to make a fair race.
Like you were saying, I'm glad the basketballs and zippers are in the game, but it's also fun to challenge yourself by not using them.

I recall some custom servers in online games have 'house rules' servers (I don't know the actual term) where players in the server agree to play in a different way (like not using certain weapons or powerups) or we could even have some modded servers disabling the feature.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby eltomito » 13 Sep 2020, 22:35

kimden {l Wrote}:Interesting, I like it. Also how about no cakes mode?

Yes, I see all kinds of modification can be thought up.

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:I recall some custom servers in online games have 'house rules' servers (I don't know the actual term) where players in the server agree to play in a different way (like not using certain weapons or powerups) or we could even have some modded servers disabling the feature.

I think server house rules are a good way to go. Also, only some players could opt in to them as a handicap.
The only question that remains is: Who's gonna implement it? :)
eltomito

Postby kimden » 14 Sep 2020, 00:21

Making certain powerups unavailable isn't difficult but the config file is changed then (however, some servers like YEET just distribute own config files across the community).
Analyzing whether some rule is satisfied for all players is maybe easier but code changes for server are needed (maybe no changes for usual players).
Generally anyone who has enough time can do it sooner or later (maybe with some help from those people who know the code more or less).
I make servers, addons, online events, and many others things.
my page, my STK fork, my youtube channel
kimden