Format

Format

Postby StefanP.MUC » 30 Jan 2011, 17:56

I just discovered (thanks to free gamer blog :) ) "Wings 3D". This looks finally like something easy to use (at least easy for interested beginners with some knowledge of corrdinates ;) ).

I'll try around with it a bit. What file format do the models need to be to be used by OpenDungeons? Seems like every 3D tool has it's own format. Do I need to convert it to some format? Wings 3D has several export options (its own format, 3DS, DirectX, POVray and some that I never heard).
StefanP.MUC

Re: Format

Postby riidom » 30 Jan 2011, 18:15

Hi blablub

OpenDungeons uses Ogre engine, so it needs .mesh for the objects and .material for all texture-related concerns.
For blender exists a ogre-exporter, for wings3D there seems to be also one. It's from Decembre 2009, so not tested against newest version. If you wanna try it out, other potential wings3D users would love to read about your experiences, I bet ;)
http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/Wings3D+ ... ture=Tools

Ogre format is a bit tricky (as I know from my own experiences). This thread here contains much explanations (and stupid questions from me, overread these!) about it:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=696
EDIT: I basically meant this thread here: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=698&start=0

At the moment we need basically every item that fits into a dungeon, I would recommend to download the latest version, take a look at it and then just create something you get in mind.

If you have questions during the process, just open a new thread, name it after your object and we will try to help. I am just not sure if someone has experience with wings3D here, but we will see then ;)

Good luck!
riidom

Postby Skorpio » 30 Jan 2011, 19:47

I'm not sure if Wings is really easier for beginners than Blender (I mean just the modeling part). I recommend you check out both programs and choose the one that you like more. Of course Blender's amount of menus can look overwhelming at first, but once you know how it works it's not that difficult. Wings has a few more operations for modeling, but I don't like that it forces you to do box modeling. And if you want to animate your models you have to learn Blender anyway.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby riidom » 30 Jan 2011, 23:54

If you have any questions about blender, just come to the IRC channel, I'm lurking around there quite often these days.
riidom