Game server hosting

Game server hosting

Postby Julius » 21 Jun 2020, 10:49

Would be nice if we could collaborate a bit on hosting servers for libre games.

Yes, usually for FOSS online games there are plenty of server and few players, but some devs of new games might struggle to get sufficient servers running :)

I have a small Xonotic test server running right now and would be open to installing other games as well.
Ping times to Europe (40-100ms) / US east-coast (around 120ms) should be relatively good, as the server is physically located on the Azores.

Ideally it would be good to have Docker images for the game server or maybe support for https://linuxgsm.com/
Julius
Community Moderator

Re: Game server hosting

Postby Ntech » 19 Aug 2020, 22:59

Good idea! When I need a free server for testing, I usually use heroku but it'd be great to have something FOSS to support.
Deo gratias, Ave Maria
Ntech

Re: Game server hosting

Postby Julius » 20 Aug 2020, 01:09

I am actually right now looking into setting up a larger Veloren server. Will probably wait a bit for some network fixes and a bit more gameplay to be added.
But since version 0.7 it is starting to feel a bit like a game and not a tech demo any longer :)

But it seems quite easy to host with Docker images available and a good documentation (wow :) ) in their wiki. They even have a guide how to host on a RasberryPI ;)
Julius
Community Moderator