Inspiration for "impossible tracks"

Inspiration for "impossible tracks"

Postby forum » 29 Jul 2020, 21:11

Hello,

When I read the thread about the "Umbilic Torus" track, it reminded me of the art by M. C. Escher:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Escher& ... s&tbm=isch

He did some very famous "impossible buildings" and such. I understand that his art cannot be made into tracks - and I am the last to show any talent in track editing - but maybe this artist and some of his works might trigger the talents here for further inspiration.

If you have other thoughts and sources for "impossible tracks", maybe this thread can serve as a spot to collect and discuss. :)
Best regards, 7wells
forum

Re: Inspiration for "impossible tracks"

Postby tempAnon093 » 30 Jul 2020, 04:41

Escher was probably the first artist I remember liking, his Waterfall image is a personal favorite :)

Like you mentioned, impossible geometry and illusions aren't really effective in full 3D where you can view from multiple angles. In isometric-view games like Rollercoaster Tycoon (and OpenRCT2) I've seen some people take direct inspiration from his works. Example 1: Eschercoaster, Example 2: Waterfall Illusion. Of course, they show in the comments what they really look like from other angles.

Unusual geometry like the umbilic torus and mobius strips, on the other hand, are totally real shapes that can be 3D modeled legitimately. Since STK allows magnetic tracks, these can be made into playable tracks. Maybe a Relativity-themed track could work!
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby forum » 30 Jul 2020, 09:20

Thank you for sharing these! Yes, that will not be possible in STK, but good that you mentioned the magnetic tracks. :)

Maybe not really the right place here to ask, not opening a new thread might not be worth it, so I ask it here:

Would some kind of "teleporting" be possible and playable in STK? I.e. a kart runs into a gift and is then immediately transferred to another spot - forward or backward, depending on if it is a good or not so good gift. ;)
Best regards, 7wells
forum

Postby tempAnon093 » 12 Aug 2020, 03:18

I was meant to respond earlier but things got busy.
forum {l Wrote}:Would some kind of "teleporting" be possible and playable in STK? I.e. a kart runs into a gift and is then immediately transferred to another spot - forward or backward, depending on if it is a good or not so good gift. ;)

In theory, yes. You could make a fake gift box (like the ones in Mars Park add-on) or any other action trigger and script it using the teleport() function. I have never used it but it would probably work.
One thing to be aware of is that the teleport function currently has position but not rotation, so either they would stay facing the same way or be reset to default orientation, I don't know which yet. A track editor could ask the STK devs to fix it, if you are lucky it might be easy.
Another option is what I have done in Frozen Drive, where you quickly teleport to the top of the mountain and also in the secret shortcut. This is done with a cannon (you know the part of Cornfield Crossing where you are grabbed and moved up into the barn house?) set to a speed so fast that it's instant. This could also be used to teleport and set the rotation at the end, but do be aware that the camera might take half a second to swing around to face the right way. It doesn't just instantly rotate, it tries to be smooth whenever you change direction.
Video: https://peertube.linuxrocks.online/vide ... aa9357f9bd
Since the entry and exit are facing the same way, the camera doesn't swing around.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby forum » 12 Aug 2020, 05:45

Thank you so much. I know the Cornfield Crossing (and actually, the kids and I like it ;)), so I know what you mean with this alternative - good idea! I was not aware, though, of an actual teleport function. What exactly do you mean with the orientation? In absolute angle or just facing still to the track ahead, backwards, left, right, or something else? If one drives to the North (0°) and is teleported, does the kart still point exactly to 0° (North)? With a track that has enough room, this could work without changing direction - the next curve could follow soon. In contrast, I just wonder what happens to the players who are teleported and suddenly face a wall and have to turn 180° around. Probably, they would get a fit. :lol:
Best regards, 7wells
forum

Postby tempAnon093 » 12 Aug 2020, 06:40

Again, I haven't tried it yet, but the teleportExact() function currently just allows you to say which kart and which location ([up-down], [left-right], [forward-back] co-ordinates) so it doesn't even ask which way you want the kart to face.
Looking at the source code, my guess is that teleport() isn't what we want (basically resetting the kart back on the track the same way it would if you fell off the track and were rescued there) but teleportExact() takes an x,y,z location in space and teleports the kart there, preserving the current rotation.
This means that the kart will just keep facing the way it was before, so if it is facing North-East (45°) and uphill (10°) then it will still be facing North-East (45°) and uphill (10°) no matter where they were teleported.

(For the record, there is also a command to set velocity, so you could also launch the kart in the air when they touch an object, for example)
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby forum » 17 Aug 2020, 20:08

Understanding that the next question might get OT, please allow me asking nevertheless: If a kart is teleported into the air, will it fall down back to the track? I do not know how physics work in STK. And thanks also for your very valuable other replies. :)
Best regards, 7wells
forum

Postby tempAnon093 » 18 Aug 2020, 12:34

forum {l Wrote}:Understanding that the next question might get OT, please allow me asking nevertheless: If a kart is teleported into the air, will it fall down back to the track? I do not know how physics work in STK. And thanks also for your very valuable other replies. :)

I haven't tried it but based on my experience I would bet that yes, if it is spawned in the air it will fall until it hits the ground or another physical object. I'll see if I can test this on the weekend, but I can't make any promises.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093