STK 1.2 RC1 arm - small bugs/hints

STK 1.2 RC1 arm - small bugs/hints

Postby forum » 22 Jul 2020, 06:45

Hello,

I hope it is ok that I list here several bugs that I observed.

All skins except for the modern one now have a black background. The light that indicates the currently selected item on the main screen is pulsing. And there is some text (part of it) seen, the rest is hidden in the black background. Or is this intended.

The modern skin shows visible text under the items on the main screen. The selected items is indicated by a pulsing light. When going to "About" and back again, the word "About" is still shown over that icon, but a pulsing light appears on another item (e.g. "Story Mode"), which was selected before going to "About". At this point in time, where would we expect the cursor (well, which item should be selected now)? At least, "About" should not appear as text above the "About" icon anymore, when another item is selected, right?

A word about sizes of item text boxes or text size in general:
Whereas in English most of it is ok, text in other languages is wrapped unnaturally, e.g. only the letter "s" in "Graphismes" and "Commandes" on the settings menu in French, or some words appear on top of other text in the background, e.g. in German on the main screen: "Einstellungen" partly covers "Splitscreen-Mehrspieler" (modern skin). Even when the text size is reduced, it still does not look so nice. Do we really need text for the items at the bottom on the main screen (settings, help, etc.)? Aren't they self-explanatory? Hmm, maybe not for younger kids. What do you think?

If you would like to consider making the text boxes on the settings page a little bit wider, maybe this could already resolve some of these issues?

My very personal flavour: Text should not appear centralised in the text boxes on the settings page, but left-aligned, with the exception of generally right-aligned languages, of course, which should also appear right-aligned on the text boxes (e.g. Arabic).

Writing about the language settings menu: I would expect that the cursor is not going back to another seeing after I switched the language, but this happens: When I switch from German back to English, the cursor is not anymore in the list of languages but on an item of the other settings. At least for me, this is a little bit confusing or does not appear natural. Do you agree?

I have similar feelings about moving through menus in general: Sometimes at the end of a larger list (e.g. languages or the key settings for gamepads), when moving (sometimes by accident) one more below, the cursor pops up on another menu. Wouldn't it be better to place it at the beginning of that same list again (vice versa when moving one more up when already at the top)?

When loading complete game graphics, the text explaining this and mentioning that mobile data might be used, at least in German is cut off at the end with "...". Shouldn't all text be shown in any language also with the largest text setting? By the way: On Amazon's Fire TV and (I assume) on Android TV, a note about using mobile data for this does not seem to make much sense, as they use Wifi or LAN, correct?

Please do not see this in any way as criticism. You developers and contributors are doing a really great job on your free time, so others like me can enjoy such a great game as STK. I truly appreciated this. And maybe many of my comments are not shared by others, e g. about how text should appear etc. No problem at all - simply some ideas/hints (and maybe one or two bugs) ;)

A little bit of-topic:

Writing all this on a mobile device with a forum software that does not offer a mobile device skin is really a pain in the back. S there really no possibility to add a mobile skin to this forum?
Best regards, 7wells
forum

Re: STK 1.2 RC1 arm - small bugs/hints

Postby benau » 23 Jul 2020, 17:19

....wait 1 week
benau
STK Moderator

Postby forum » 24 Jul 2020, 08:12

Sure, will do! ;)

Ah, and I saw an asterisk (*) with a footnote on the graphics settings screen saying that STK has to be restarted for changes to take effect (on Windows 10), but there is no asterisk for any of the settings above. So does it mean that a restart is needed for any change to take effect (I don't think so), or rather for a few specific settings/changes (in which case it would make sense to add an asterisk to the settings concerned).
Best regards, 7wells
forum

Postby benau » 25 Jul 2020, 05:53

actaully because the modern skin is not the default skin so i don't have much interests to improve myself...
benau
STK Moderator

Postby forum » 25 Jul 2020, 08:01

:D

But some topics I described above are not related to the modern skin. Shall I add screenshots?
Last edited by forum on 25 Jul 2020, 14:12, edited 1 time in total.
Best regards, 7wells
forum

Postby benau » 25 Jul 2020, 10:23

Ok
benau
STK Moderator

Postby forum » 25 Jul 2020, 17:14

Now I wanted to test this on a Samsung S7, but none of the APKs can be installed (parsing error or simply a message that the APK was not installed). The Samsung S7 has the following CPU/architecture:
arm64-v8a
armeabi-v7a armeabi
Last edited by forum on 25 Jul 2020, 20:45, edited 1 time in total.
Best regards, 7wells
forum

Postby benau » 25 Jul 2020, 18:13

it works for my s7...

maybe deve can Image android apk with his pc....
benau
STK Moderator

Postby forum » 25 Jul 2020, 21:09

benau, deve, no worries - it works after I downloaded SuperTuxKart-1.2-rc1-armv7.apk once more. I guess that there was a problem with my proxy.
Best regards, 7wells
forum

Postby forum » 29 Jul 2020, 11:23

Regarding the STK 1.2 RC 1 Windows version:

When directly double-clicking the 32bit or 64bit exe file, Windows 10 denies their execution with a warning that the issuer is unknown, i.e. it is considered as a safety threat. Is there anything that can be done about it? I trust it, but would like to make it "clean" for Windows, too.

When invoking the batch script that comes along (that checks for 32bit and 64bit), Windows 10 does not present that warning and executes the correct binary exe file (so much for Microsoft's security ;)).
Best regards, 7wells
forum