Rethink duel mutator

Rethink duel mutator

Postby TheAssassin0 » 05 Jun 2020, 23:35

There's more than a few things wrong with the duel mutator in my opinion:

• when duelmaxqueued is set to 2, people wonder why they can't join (possible solution: we should just print a large warning in the middle of the screen)
  • when there's more than two players permitted, a very good player can play most of the time, while the others have to wait forever (my solution to that: just limit the amount of consecutive rounds to either 2 or the player count (the latter is less fair, though))
  • it is often voted by newbies who don't understand the consequences and then have no fun because they have to wait in the queue most of the time (suggestion: just deactivate duel by default on servers, it isn't that great of a mode on regular servers anyway)

What do you think? The community should decide whether to implement any of my suggestions. Input welcome!
TheAssassin0
BN Moderator

Re: Rethink duel mutator

Postby Matadula » 08 Jun 2020, 04:17

I agree with all three :)

Also:
[*] To not spawn the 2 players at the same spawn point
[*]A "duel" variation where health isn't restored for the winner of the round. This also could help minimize your the problem you mention on your second point. Right now a match could end 20 - 0 even if the player is just a little bit better than the rest.
Matadula

Re: Rethink duel mutator

Postby TheAssassin0 » 08 Jun 2020, 13:41

Spawning could be improved, that's true. This goes for all modes, not only duel.

Your second suggestion appears not to be very useful. B kills A, then C kills B (B had only 10 hp), then D kills C (C only had 12 hp), then A kills D, etc. It's then too easy to kill your predecessor, this takes any real competition out of the mode. Only uber pros can maybe survive more than one round.
TheAssassin0
BN Moderator