Blue Nebula WIP (was: how do you work?)

Blue Nebula WIP (was: how do you work?)

Postby freem » 12 May 2020, 02:06

Hello.

Usually, I post here to try to help, but today, I am here to ask.

I am contributing to the fork of a project, and my questions are directly linked to that.

The 1st question is about law. I don't understand much about it (who does understand full law?), but the project we are forking is a multiplayer FPS game, included in the "free" version of debian. Since it's multi, how does that impact us? GPDR says stuf, but I'm not a lawyer, I just want to clean code, to make it safe,stable, hackable.... yet, we need multiplayer. Have any idea how to work on that?

The second question is about the place, and community. We already have our irc community, in which I was cordially received, but it lacks some written stuff. I know, I know, phpbb forums are not fashion, but they are effective, and squatting here would remove us a task, allowing us devs to focus on code. WHat is needed to become part of this place? Of course, whatever the result, I'll still be an at least passive supporter of some projects here present. Please guys, don't let down your projects, they are awesome!
freem
BN Moderator

Re: how do you work?

Postby dulsi » 12 May 2020, 03:23

If you aren't hosting a server, the law probably doesn't care too much about your multiplayer. If you are hosting a server and retaining information about people, make it as little as possible and allow people to delete their account. I don't know if there is any more you need/should do.

You have posted so you are part of this place. (Unless you become problematic and get banned.) You could start a thread about the project and get a discussion going. I suspect what you are asking is getting a subforum here. I don't know the answer to that.
dulsi

Postby Julius » 12 May 2020, 23:53

freem {l Wrote}:The second question is about the place, and community. We already have our irc community, in which I was cordially received, but it lacks some written stuff. I know, I know, phpbb forums are not fashion, but they are effective, and squatting here would remove us a task, allowing us devs to focus on code. WHat is needed to become part of this place? Of course, whatever the result, I'll still be an at least passive supporter of some projects here present. Please guys, don't let down your projects, they are awesome!

Showcase your project (incl. link to source code) and actively answer questions that might come up. If there is continued development (all to many forks die after a few days of initial motivation) I will discuss with the other moderators if we can open a sub-forum for you. Normally that isn't a big deal and can be easily done.

Edit: which IRC channel? We also run a Matterbridge system to link XMPP and Discord (possible Matrix and other type of chats), so we can also do that if you are interested.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 12 May 2020, 23:56

freem {l Wrote}:The 1st question is about law. I don't understand much about it (who does understand full law?), but the project we are forking is a multiplayer FPS game, included in the "free" version of debian. Since it's multi, how does that impact us? GPDR says stuf, but I'm not a lawyer, I just want to clean code, to make it safe,stable, hackable.... yet, we need multiplayer. Have any idea how to work on that?

Not 100% sure I understand your question, but if your online game doesn't come with user accounts or actively tracks users then the GDPR doesn't really come into effect. But IANAL :)
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby freem » 20 May 2020, 23:12

You have posted so you are part of this place. (Unless you become problematic and get banned.)

Well, then I'm part of this place since years, even if not an active one :)

I suspect what you are asking is getting a subforum here

Sorry, yes, you are true.

Showcase your project (incl. link to source code) and actively answer questions that might come up. If there is continued development (all to many forks die after a few days of initial motivation) I will discuss with the other moderators if we can open a sub-forum for you. Normally that isn't a big deal and can be easily done.

Edit: which IRC channel? We also run a Matterbridge system to link XMPP and Discord (possible Matrix and other type of chats), so we can also do that if you are interested.

Well, I'm not really fond on the idea of involving my pseudonyme into the mess that can be a project, especially a fork one, but... I understand your point.
We are forking RedEclipse1.X, because we do not like the Red-eclipse 2.x mechanics.

We use #re-legacy for IRC, as re-legacy is our current temporary name, but are searching for a better name. My personnal opinion is that "blue eclipse" sucks, but, well...
A media more modern than irc would be nice, though ("We also run a Matterbridge system to link XMPP and Discord (possible Matrix and other type of chats), so we can also do that if you are interested. ")

and my question was a bit a mess, too. I'm better at improving code than at talking...
freem
BN Moderator

Introducing Red Eclipse Legacy and asking for a subforum

Postby TheAssassin0 » 21 May 2020, 02:44

Hi everyone. I'm the kind-of manager of the Red Eclipse fork with the WIP title Red Eclipse Legacy. We've been brainstorming about how to build up a community, and found a good old forum was a great start. One can't really (and shouldn't really) discuss non-dev-related things on GitHub. We found FreeGameDev was a good choice for various reasons. By hosting a subforum for us, we don't have to take care of setting up a forum ourselves, which lets us concentrate on other tasks. Also, the early Red Eclipse had a forum here, too, which would make the circle complete.

Here's the information you requested:

Code: https://github.com/redeclipse-legacy
(Pre-)Release builds: https://github.com/redeclipse-legacy/release/releases
Website is WIP, also we need that new name first (see below).

As freem pointed out, we already run an IRC channel on Freenode with the WIP title #re-legacy. Please feel free to pass by if you have any questions. We've been around for a few weeks and keep improving, slowly but steadily. There's already a refurbished menu, improvements in the build and deployment systems, a movement towards more STL integration instead of shipping homebrew stuff, etc.

We'd appreciate if you could provide us with a subforum once we decided on a new name. Choosing names is not easy. Suggestions welcome! Please feel free to enter yours on our wiki page: https://github.com/redeclipse-legacy/ba ... uggestions
I haven't had a phpBB forum running in many years, but I guess it should be possible to rename a forum after its creation, too, so if possible, we'd appreciate a subforum under our current WIP name which could later be renamed, too.

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions, either me or another team member will respond as soon as possible.
TheAssassin0
BN Moderator

Postby Julius » 22 May 2020, 23:44

I took the liberty to rename the topic. Thanks for posting some details about it.

I also made a topic in our private admin subforum, lets see what the discussion there will result in.
Julius
Community Moderator

Re: RE legacy WIP (was: how do you work?)

Postby Julius » 24 May 2020, 15:25

Have you considered joining forces with Tomatenquark? Since RE 1.x is still based on Sauerbraten (and not the newer renderer used in RE2.x) this might be quite worthwhile and Tomatenquark seems very active right now.

https://tomatenquark.org/
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby freem » 25 May 2020, 19:10

I never heard about them.

_My_ opinion after a quick reading of their roadmap is that we could share some parts of code knowledge and refactoring tools or hints we use. I doubt we can really merge our efforts, though, since AFAIK many game-related stuff is hard-coded, I'm persuaded that the code-bases are too far (which means I'll need to get some conviction on that... sharing efforts would be awesome!).
I'll go check what they do more deeply. Thanks for the sharing.
freem
BN Moderator

Postby freem » 25 May 2020, 21:40

Ok, from what I currently see, it seems we share some problems and some source code. I will try to work together with those people as a person, not sure about this can work for both our projects.
freem
BN Moderator

Postby Julius » 25 May 2020, 21:49

Cool, I am glad this spiked your interest :)
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Lyberta » 26 May 2020, 18:17

Deleted.
Last edited by Lyberta on 01 Oct 2021, 03:56, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberta

Postby freem » 27 May 2020, 01:08

We finally settled on a new name: "Blue Nebula".
So, here is our new organization, and here are the releases, for interested people.

There are still things to do, of course, but they will be fixed as soon as we can, one being a subforum, if you guys are ok :) (I understand that this can take some time, though, and I'm not putting any pressure on that)
freem
BN Moderator

Postby freem » 27 May 2020, 01:44

IRC channels update: joining the #re-legacy and #re-legacy-dev chans on freenode now redirects to #blue-nebula and #blue-nebula-dev, which will be our official irc channels.
freem
BN Moderator

Postby Julius » 27 May 2020, 22:26

Great. I'll try to find the time to set up the subforums on the weekend. Any specific wishes for the sub-sub-forums?
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby TheAssassin0 » 28 May 2020, 00:44

Thanks a lot Julius. We'd probably go for "Maps & Mods", "General" and "Development" for now. I guess if those should ever not be sufficient any more, we'd get in touch with you.

Edit: by the way, I'd appreciate if you could update the topic title with our new name. That'll cause less confusion then.
TheAssassin0
BN Moderator

Re: Blue Nebula WIP (was: how do you work?)

Postby Julius » 31 May 2020, 22:24

Ok Forums are done. Who should become moderator of them?
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby TheAssassin0 » 02 Jun 2020, 14:09

Thank you very much, Julius. I think you can make me and freem moderators for the beginning.
TheAssassin0
BN Moderator

Postby freem » 02 Jun 2020, 18:46

Thanks for your work Julius!
freem
BN Moderator

Re: Introducing Red Eclipse Legacy and asking for a subforum

Postby freem » 02 Jun 2020, 19:43

Thanks to Leper` on irc to mention that, your links are dead.
This is normal, since we since moved on to a real name, but let me post the updated ones:

Here, the place where our forum is hosted, for which we are grateful!
our master server, which lists servers for Red-Eclipse 2.0 and 1.x, 1.5.8 to 1.6 being 100% compatible with our current client.
The repository with our current source code
A (future) sphinxdoc to document stuff
The download place with automatically built releases (note: you have to unfold the list)
Link to our IRC channel

Well will pin a more useful post later that we will try to keep updated, we still need to setup some organization, as the project is still pretty young.
freem
BN Moderator

Postby Julius » 03 Jun 2020, 20:13

Ok, Moderator permissions should be set now. Let me know if it doesn't propagate to the sub-forums.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby TheAssassin0 » 05 Jun 2020, 17:00

Thanks Julius. I see the good ol' "Moderation" menu only in the root subforum, but not in the 3 nested ones. I guess it didn't propagate all the way down the tree. Mind to have another look?
TheAssassin0
BN Moderator

Postby Julius » 06 Jun 2020, 00:36

I hope I fixed it now :)
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby TheAssassin0 » 06 Jun 2020, 00:49

Yep, works for me and freem. Already edited one of his topics for testing, and locked one. Thanks again!
TheAssassin0
BN Moderator

Postby Julius » 06 Jun 2020, 02:19

Please no "global" annoucement posts as they show up in all forums ;)
Julius
Community Moderator