Track: Umbilic Torus

Track: Umbilic Torus

Postby tempAnon093 » 06 May 2020, 03:26

So, last night I remembered an idea I had to make a non-orientable track such as a Klein Bottle immersion or a Möbius strip (side note: have SRB2Kart made a Mobius track yet? They should!) and discovered this shape: the umbilic torus.

Now you can race on one!

What is an umbilic torus?
Basically, it's a 3D shape which has one edge and one face. The wikipedia article explains more.

I made a quick-and-dirty version of one by making a deltoid:

deltoid.png

Then making it follow a circle path while tilting, then mending the edges:

persp1.png

persp2.png

I could have done a better job if I planned it out properly, so I might end up doing that another day. Also, checklines don't work yet and I'm not sure if they ever will be 100% accurate, but I'll fix the laps at least.
But for now, you can race on it!

race.jpg

Download: https://online.supertuxkart.net/dl/1652 ... 327c00.zip
Or in the add-ons repo.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Re: Track: Umbilic Torus

Postby Serano » 06 May 2020, 07:20

Is it supposed to be a slight homage to "Gown's Bow"?
SuperTux Team Member
Serano

Postby tempAnon093 » 06 May 2020, 11:03

Serano {l Wrote}:Is it supposed to be a slight homage to "Gown's Bow"?

To be honest, the design could be a subconscious homage to Rainbow Road (Mario Kart), but it does resemble Gown's Bow too.
I think it was more that rainbows would help show the shape well (like in the wikipedia image) and I didn't want to make a background so up into space it goes! The space theme is a bit of a joke in itself.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 06 May 2020, 22:35

I like this concept of twisted/convoluted track. I really think this could be further explored at STK. Actually, I even wanted to create a project exploring magnetism and torsion to create a semi-vertical looping track (like https://youtu.be/IvYFgwmit4s?t=146), but I didn't take the idea any further.

Well, this track specifically resembles a lot of "Star Track". It is basically a combination of "Star Track" and (the texture) of "Gowns Bow". So, it's fun. It is not very difficult to drive on it, but it is also not the easiest. The most difficult thing is to follow the AI cars.

Could you add a circular transparent "gate" to clearly mark the starting place? I think something like that would match the style of the track:
https://youtu.be/_UnNa7T8yUo?t=337

PS. By the way: in my case (I don't know if happened to everyone) the lap counter doesn't change. It remains in the lap number 1. :?
"Making cool harmless games makes the world a better place".
GeekPenguinBR

Postby QwertyChouskie » 07 May 2020, 02:51

Wow, is that the OG LTT intro I hear? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGJSFTaFJbQ) STK is the last place I expected to hear that, lol :P
Contributor to/fan of STK (Upstreamed Cartoon theme, numerous random big fixes/tweaks)
QwertyChouskie

Postby tempAnon093 » 07 May 2020, 15:14

GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:PS. By the way: in my case (I don't know if happened to everyone) the lap counter doesn't change. It remains in the lap number 1. :?

It happens to all of us, I accidentally deleted a checkline before uploading.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby tempAnon093 » 07 May 2020, 15:27

QwertyChouskie {l Wrote}:Wow, is that the OG LTT intro I hear? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGJSFTaFJbQ) STK is the last place I expected to hear that, lol :P

I've never watched much of LTT, that's the last place I expected to hear this music! Here is the original source, it seems that Linus is violating Creative Commons ;)
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby QwertyChouskie » 07 May 2020, 18:53

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:it seems that Linus is violating Creative Commons ;)

*Was, from a quick check he only seemed to use this intro for the first 7 videos, and those were all 11 years ago :P Well, there was "We've come a long way..." where they used it as a throwback, funny enough, that forgot to change the attribution in the description from the usual one. :?
Contributor to/fan of STK (Upstreamed Cartoon theme, numerous random big fixes/tweaks)
QwertyChouskie

Postby tempAnon093 » 14 May 2020, 06:33

I finally discovered how to use the checkline debugger :)

A complete remake has been uploaded to the add-ons. It was made quickly but there wasn't much that could go wrong. Let me know if something broke.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093