Powder Rush

Powder Rush

Postby tempAnon093 » 15 Mar 2020, 12:07

Another snow track... but with another twist!

screenshot_orig - Copy.jpg

This is a beta track, so it doesn't have trees yet. It's wide open and white, looks best with higher graphics settings.

Instead of giving you pictures, here's a video trailer:
Powder Rush trailer (1080p)

Available in Add-ons.

Notable features:

One lap.

Yep, just one.
powder-rush_map.png
powder-rush_map.png (1.6 KiB) Viewed 4747 times

UPDATE: I will probably extend the track soon, making the current track into lap 1. Speedrunners be warned!
Ideas are welcome!

A three-lap race is a one-way ride all the way to the end, extra laps will just launch you off the end until you finish anyway. ;)
I had thought about testing a one-lap track for a while (because it allows a totally downhill track) and a few other people on the forum have asked about it before. It's possible!
Technically this is a circuit but it's impossible to complete. The laps are done using alternate lap lines.

A slalom course

The main alternate route (as shown in the video) is a slalom. Missing a gate will slow you down!

Note to any speedrunners: If you attempt the slalom, missing a gate is a disqualification!

Movable obstacles

Fun!

Ramps

Cool!

---

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy this. I had fun making it.

Some inspiration was taken from the last two parts of the Avalanche level in Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex, with minor inspiration from Slip Slide Icescapades (Crash Twinsanity) and the end of Time Trial (Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2)

The name was originally meant as a pun on 'Powerpuff', not a drug reference.
Last edited by tempAnon093 on 16 Mar 2020, 01:34, edited 3 times in total.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Re: Powder Rush

Postby kimden » 15 Mar 2020, 13:00

Nice work! As always, I'm very delighted to see your tracks.

I keep getting finish in the middle of the track somehow: https://youtu.be/17l6Deby8EE to be precise.
I make servers, addons, online events, and many others things.
my page, my STK fork, my youtube channel
kimden

Postby kimden » 15 Mar 2020, 13:01

Oh sorry lol, I wasn't reading properly -_-
kimden

Postby kimden » 15 Mar 2020, 13:32

Ok I know nothing about slalom... or skiing... How is the gate supposed to look like? If the gate is represented by sticks or a pair of stones, then they are avoidable. So I have no idea what's the gate lol

Another thing is about more than 3 laps races: I'm not sure they are supported at all, but if yes, the last checkline seems to be broken so 100 laps race is very fast. Anyway, it's only a WIP so problems are not real problems, thanks for nice track!
kimden

Postby tempAnon093 » 15 Mar 2020, 22:34

kimden {l Wrote}:Nice work! As always, I'm very delighted to see your tracks.

Haha, thank you very much!

kimden {l Wrote}:I keep getting finish in the middle of the track somehow: https://youtu.be/17l6Deby8EE to be precise.

Yeah, I assumed most people would default to 3 so I made 3 the whole race. Should I change it to 1?

kimden {l Wrote}:but if yes, the last checkline seems to be broken so 100 laps race is very fast

Now that you mention it, I can try to add a teleporter back to the top? I'd probably have to change the landing at the end but that's alright.

kimden {l Wrote}:Ok I know nothing about slalom... or skiing...

me either lol

kimden {l Wrote}:So I have no idea what's the gate lol

So if you have found the alternate route [see 0:13 in the release trailer] then you will soon see pairs of orange sticks with flags forming gates. Drive between the two flags, if you miss then you will be slowed and hear a buzzer sound.
If you think they need to have alternating flag colour or something, let me know.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby kimden » 16 Mar 2020, 00:27

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:Yeah, I assumed most people would default to 3 so I made 3 the whole race. Should I change it to 1?

I don't know... Maybe for players who just installed it that could be useful indeed.

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:Now that you mention it, I can try to add a teleporter back to the top?

Yeah, that could be good.

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:So if you have found the alternate route [see 0:13 in the release trailer] then you will soon see pairs of orange sticks with flags forming gates. Drive between the two flags, if you miss then you will be slowed and hear a buzzer sound.
If you think they need to have alternating flag colour or something, let me know.

Oh it turns out I missed quite a major part! Took some time though to determine how to enter that slalom section. Probably players should have lower graphics because with graphics 2 + glow it's already very white lol, as snow probably should be (but it's a bit hard to measure height with eyes).
Flags seem to be paired pretty obviously, so they are ok. Nice feature!
kimden

Postby tempAnon093 » 16 Mar 2020, 01:11

lol @ whoever gave the track a half star rating. At least tell me what to improve :P

kimden {l Wrote}:Probably players should have lower graphics because with graphics 2 + glow it's already very white lol, as snow probably should be (but it's a bit hard to measure height with eyes).

I also have a white fog on there, which was intentionally lowering visibility for far-away track. If it's too annoying, I might remove it or at least reduce it.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby eltomito » 16 Mar 2020, 02:08

Hi!

I love the track but on low graphics settings (advanced pipeline off) the section where there's no road, just snow, gives you no clue where to go, the terrain doesn't show at all. Could you make the snow different shades of white, maybe? Like, make the path a little dirty or bake in a shadow on the slope on one side?
eltomito

Postby tempAnon093 » 16 Mar 2020, 02:29

eltomito {l Wrote}:Could you make the snow different shades of white, maybe? Like, make the path a little dirty or bake in a shadow on the slope on one side?

I see what you mean. Good idea! I don't have the skills to bake in a shadow (that would be best solution) so I will add dirt/tracks/tiremarks/something to make a clear paths through the open mountains.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby KiyanTheBluePenguin » 16 Mar 2020, 11:08

Pretty cool twist, But with some problems.
First, You can't really see the snow,
Second, It Would be Nice To Add A Couple Of Hints
And Third... Actually i don't remember the third problem... Shoot.
KiyanTheBluePenguin