Possible bug in 0.7.3

Possible bug in 0.7.3

Postby ardvark71 » 27 Feb 2020, 01:10

Hi everyone...

I didn't see a "bug" forum to post to, if there is one, please feel free to move this post there. :)

Although it's an old version, I did find an issue that could possibly a bug in the game, in case anyone would be interested in fixing it. Or perhaps it's a simple fix that someone could show me how to take care of myself. ;)

There is a problem with Amiga kart's icon showing up properly, if at all, in the mini-map in the lower left hand corner. I've uploaded two screenshots to show what this looks like. In the first one, Amiga kart shows up as just a red dot. In the second one, where I'm playing Amiga, he doesn't even appear at all. After a little investigation, I noticed the following output in the CMD window that accompanies the main game window...

{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
[Irrlicht Warning] Could not open file of texture: ./data/karts/amigakart/amigakart_map_icon.png

However, I looked in the folders of a couple of other karts that I haven't seen this issue with and I didn't see any "map_icon.png" file there, either. :?

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions, apart from upgrading to the latest version? I prefer to stay with 0.7.3. :)

Regards...
Attachments
Supertuxkart capture....JPG
Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all!

How do I know this personally? Please read here.

PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here!
ardvark71

Re: Possible bug in 0.7.3

Postby ardvark71 » 27 Feb 2020, 01:11

Here is the second screenshot...
Attachments
Supertuxkart Capture 2.JPG

ardvark71

Postby tempAnon093 » 27 Feb 2020, 05:01

Hi ardvark71,

I have never played 0.7.3 but the log you posted helps a lot! It appears that the game is expecting the kart icon to be located at ./data/karts/amigakart/amigakart_map_icon.png, and as you have seen, no file exists there. This is why it isn't showing up.
Try copying 'Amiga-icon.png' to 'amigakart_map_icon.png' and restart the game. Hopefully this will fix the issue.

This is unlikely to be an issue with 0.7.3, although if it was then I doubt developers would be interested in fixing older versions. There are enough problems to solve in the current version!
May I ask why you do not wish to upgrade? Is it due to performance issues with newer versions, or something else?

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Eris cares about all of us equally!
Just not very much...
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby ardvark71 » 27 Feb 2020, 06:33

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:Hi ardvark71,Try copying 'Amiga-icon.png' to 'amigakart_map_icon.png' and restart the game. Hopefully this will fix the issue.

Hi...

Thank you for your help! I gave your suggestion a try but I ended up with the same error message and the same issue. :(

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:This is unlikely to be an issue with 0.7.3, although if it was then I doubt developers would be interested in fixing older versions. There are enough problems to solve in the current version!

Yeah, I knew that might be a possibility, hence my phrase, "in case anyone would be interested in fixing it."

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:May I ask why you do not wish to upgrade? Is it due to performance issues with newer versions, or something else?

It's partly because I believe there's no way my (older) system would handle the newer versions, including my graphics chip. The other issue, at least with version 0.8 (if I remember correctly,) was with one of the characters engaged in what I felt was occult like activity in the introduction video. Since receiving the Lord over ten years ago, that's something I make a concerted effort in avoiding. ;)

Regards...

ardvark71

Postby eltomito » 28 Feb 2020, 00:51

ardvark71 {l Wrote}:
tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:May I ask why you do not wish to upgrade? Is it due to performance issues with newer versions, or something else?

It's partly because I believe there's no way my (older) system would handle the newer versions, including my graphics chip.

I have a notebook from 2012 with basic Intel graphics and I can play the latest STK version, even though only with the lowest possible graphics settings (advanced pipeline: off)
ardvark71 {l Wrote}: The other issue, at least with version 0.8 (if I remember correctly,) was with one of the characters engaged in what I felt was occult like activity in the introduction video.
Regards...

You can disable the intro scene if you edit the players.xml config file. There's a line that starts like this:
<story-mode first-time="true"

If you change it to
<story-mode first-time="false"

the intro scene will never play.

I think that switching to at least STK 0.9.3 is well worth it, because the kart controls improved dramatically in that release. If you go for version 1.0 or 1.1, you'll get online multiplayer on top of that.
eltomito

Postby QwertyChouskie » 28 Feb 2020, 02:29

Or just hit Esc as soon as the cutscene starts, you'll never see it again (unless you create a new profile).
Contributor to/fan of STK (Upstreamed Cartoon theme, numerous random big fixes/tweaks)
QwertyChouskie

Postby ardvark71 » 28 Feb 2020, 04:40

Hi eltomito and QwertyChouskie...

Thank you for your help and suggestions, that's something I might consider down the road with a newer system, Lord willing. I'd like to keep the graphics settings as high as I can. :)

Regards...

ardvark71

Postby QwertyChouskie » 29 Feb 2020, 05:30

You could run 1.1 on minimum settings and it still would look waaaay better than 0.7.3 on max ;)

What GPU/specs do you have? I can run decent quality visuals (approx. level 4, looks pretty good) even on my 2012 era Intel integrated graphics (Intel HD 4000/Ivy Bridge processor). I am on a pretty low-res screen (1366x768) compared to most standalone monitors, but most older laptops have this screen res. If you are on a desktop computer, you can pick up a solid GPU for about $50, e.g. https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Radeon-R9-270-2GB-GDDR5-Gaming-Video-Graphics-Card-Dell-0106DK/223918413739?hash=item342293d7ab:g:o4EAAOSw-eleTFDB. This GPU would probably cream my integrated graphics, and should run STK on high settings quite nicely. :)
Contributor to/fan of STK (Upstreamed Cartoon theme, numerous random big fixes/tweaks)
QwertyChouskie

Postby ardvark71 » 29 Feb 2020, 10:51

QwertyChouskie {l Wrote}:You could run 1.1 on minimum settings and it still would look waaaay better than 0.7.3 on max ;)

No offense but considering the age of my system, I'm not sure that would be possible. Even a map or two I downloaded soon after I installed STK on this system (using STK's add-on feature) is a bit choppy and doesn't display correctly. I'm not looking or wanting to upgrade at this point anyway, I'm happy with what I have. :)

QwertyChouskie {l Wrote}:What GPU/specs do you have? I can run decent quality visuals (approx. level 4, looks pretty good) even on my 2012 era Intel integrated graphics (Intel HD 4000/Ivy Bridge processor). I am on a pretty low-res screen (1366x768) compared to most standalone monitors, but most older laptops have this screen res. If you are on a desktop computer, you can pick up a solid GPU for about $50, e.g. https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Radeon-R9-270-2GB-GDDR5-Gaming-Video-Graphics-Card-Dell-0106DK/223918413739?hash=item342293d7ab:g:o4EAAOSw-eleTFDB. This GPU would probably cream my integrated graphics, and should run STK on high settings quite nicely. :)

I'm using the onboard Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 chip. Getting an add-on card and possibly another PSU to handle the additional load might be something I could consider down the road, Lord willing, but considering the age of this system (it was manufactured in 2009,) I'm not sure if it would be worth the expense. I would also want to upgrade the OS, memory and possibly the CPU. However, even just purchasing the graphics card alone is way beyond what the budget can handle at this moment in time. Thank you for your idea, though! :)

Regards...

ardvark71