Possible overall UI changes in 2.0

Possible overall UI changes in 2.0

Postby DoggoOfSpeed » 12 Jan 2020, 22:13

Since there is quite a lot of talk about 2.0 going on, maybe it would be a good time to think of a possible make over of certain UI elements... I am not saying nuking everything, but certain things look quite dated. The main icon, the face of the whole project, while not bad, definitely lacks character Qwerty's mockup makes it pop without losing the recognisable elements of the original. https://m.imgur.com/es74QSG. The other thing I think could be quite improved are the icons of power-ups. Since Stk is quite a fast game where things change every second having icons that are easy to see and identify is paramount. While adding outlines would definitely help, replacing the icons with something brand new would give not only make them easier on the eyes, it would also give character. I am really interested what other people think of this possibility.
Fast as frick boi
DoggoOfSpeed

Re: Possible overall UI changes in 2.0

Postby charlie » 14 Jan 2020, 11:12

I agree.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Alayan » 14 Jan 2020, 11:55

I don't like the main icon, it gives an "old, outdated" vibe. I'd definitely change it for 2.0.

As for powerup icons, well if an artist thinks he can do better ones, it could be considered certainly. I don't think that's the most critical area of the UI to improve, however.
Alayan
STK Moderator

Postby DoggoOfSpeed » 14 Jan 2020, 15:09

Alayan {l Wrote}:I don't like the main icon, it gives an "old, outdated" vibe. I'd definitely change it for 2.0.

As for powerup icons, well if an artist thinks he can do better ones, it could be considered certainly. I don't think that's the most critical area of the UI to improve, however.

Yeah. For power-ups I was inspired by Qwerty (again)
Qdvotlt.png
Qdvotlt.png (32.16 KiB) Viewed 3706 times
and while his style is definitely too blocky, it still looks way better than those old prerendered ones.
Fast as frick boi
DoggoOfSpeed

Postby Ludsky » 14 Jan 2020, 21:42

I agree for the main icon but for the powerup icons : I like the current icons. I don't see the point of replacing them.
Ludsky

Re: Overall UI changes in 2.0

Postby QwertyChouskie » 16 Jan 2020, 04:01

Not sure if you all seen my mostly-finished whole-STK theme:
Image IMO this definitely refreshes the overall feel of STK, but also keeps proponents of the old style happy by just allowing them to select one of the old skins. The icon concept linked in the first post was an attempt to recreate the STK icon in this style.
Contributor to/fan of STK (Upstreamed Cartoon theme, numerous random big fixes/tweaks)
QwertyChouskie

Re: Overall UI changes in 2.0

Postby DoggoOfSpeed » 16 Jan 2020, 12:35

QwertyChouskie {l Wrote}:Not sure if you all seen my mostly-finished whole-STK theme:
Image IMO this definitely refreshes the overall feel of STK, but also keeps proponents of the old style happy by just allowing them to select one of the old skins. The icon concept linked in the first post was an attempt to recreate the STK icon in this style.

Yeah :) that's what inspired me. Altough the new theme should have all the colours too... Mostly the coal one, since it is basically just dark mode. :shock:
Fast as frick boi
DoggoOfSpeed

Postby Nickerson Romero » 16 Jan 2020, 13:14

wow is nice
Nickerson Romero

Postby eltomito » 16 Jan 2020, 22:40

I really like it. The blurred background image gives off this late-August atmosphere that I love and the icons are nice.

It's just that the angular shapes really evoke the stone age to me which I kinda like, too, but on the other hand it makes it seem like the whole game is something stone-age themed, which it isn't. Or... Is that the plan for 2.0? Tux In the Stone Age? Opensourcesaurus Tux?
eltomito