Frozen Drive track

Re: Frozen Drive track

Postby eltomito » 26 Dec 2019, 08:30

Can"t wait to play it online!
eltomito

Postby kimden » 26 Dec 2019, 12:47

I cannot get out of tunnel because there is a pile of snow, also the music is not playing...

Screenshot from 2019-12-26 14-45-07.png
That is how the tunnel exit looks from outside.
I make servers, addons, online events, and many others things.
my page, my STK fork, my youtube channel
kimden

Postby kimden » 26 Dec 2019, 19:37

Ok I was wrong, forgot that code changes were done very recently. After git pull everything works (online too). I'm sorry.
kimden

Postby tempAnon093 » 26 Dec 2019, 23:41

kimden {l Wrote}:I cannot get out of tunnel because there is a pile of snow, also the music is not playing...

No need to be sorry!
That pile of snow is for the reverse track and as long as scripting is working, it should be hidden normally. No music probably means scripting was not working (I managed the music with script)

The 1.1 part of the code won't work in the 1.1-rc or a build before my pull request was merged (that's what I'm guessing you tried?) so git pull would have fixed that. I should have put that in the scripting file.

I'm glad it works online :) I'll see if I can find a server with it. I wonder if the alternate route works fine in multiplayer (I might have disabled the music/rating feature in STK < 1.1 multiplayer).
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby kimden » 27 Dec 2019, 02:01

Yes, all the issues appeared because scripting build failed (unknown function getKartType). Now everything is probably ok.

You can try Frankfurt servers online (I added Frozen Drive there). I don't know whether other servers have it now (probably no, but some of them will definitely have it later).

About the alternate route in reverse, without a minimap I would rather stop without knowing where to go instead of going through snowy hills :) Maybe a pointer to the right would be good (like in Snow Peak?)
kimden

Postby benau » 27 Dec 2019, 18:58

kimden / penny actually exposing stk version to script is not enough because angelscript doesn't know how to preprocessing before compiling.... (if you want someting like #if STK_VERSION > 1000099 in scripting.as)
benau
STK Moderator

Postby tempAnon093 » 03 Jan 2020, 00:24

­
Roadmap for second version:

I am going to make an update to this track. Let me know what you want fixed or added!

Current known issues, in order of priority:
- [done?] Sometimes driving through tunnel does not work
- [done] Prevent Theodore's shortcut on secret route
- [done] Prevent shortcut over mountain on secret route.
- [done] Shortcut at end is too easy. Should it be removed or made more difficult? (so far, I have made an invisible wall for Time Trial mode only, it tells you that the reset is only for time trial)
- [done] Add sign/pointer on reverse route to show how to take the alternate route [thanks Kimden]
- [TODO] Add some rocks, maybe some more trees.
- [TODO] Add hidden driveline on secret alternate route to prevent restarts at slow speed? (not tested)
Anything else?

benau {l Wrote}:kimden / penny actually exposing stk version to script is not enough because angelscript doesn't know how to preprocessing before compiling.... (if you want someting like #if STK_VERSION > 1000099 in scripting.as)

I had a quick look on the angelscript site and they do have a pre-made addon for this.
https://www.angelcode.com/angelscript/s ... _condition
It is a possibility in future versions, but it would not fix this kind of issue retrospectively, since a new function like getKartType will still crash scripts in STK1.0 or less.
Last edited by tempAnon093 on 04 Jan 2020, 01:29, edited 7 times in total.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby eltomito » 03 Jan 2020, 01:20

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:­
- [TODO] Shortcut at end is too easy. Should it be removed or made more difficult?

Make it more difficult! Maybe add invisible patches of deep snow that slow you down if you don't avoid them.
Seeing that you're good at scripting, you could actually make the patches appear in unpredictable places every time the race starts.
Actually, it would be cool if there was a little brook running across that plain that you could only jump across in a concrete place.
- [TODO] Add some rocks, maybe some more trees.

Yetti tracks in the snow? The snowman from Snow Peak?
- [TODO] Add hidden driveline on secret alternate route to prevent restarts at slow speed? (not tested)

I've never found the secret route! It's rmaddenning but don't tell me!
eltomito

Postby tempAnon093 » 03 Jan 2020, 03:07

eltomito {l Wrote}:Make it more difficult! Maybe add invisible patches of deep snow that slow you down if you don't avoid them.
Seeing that you're good at scripting, you could actually make the patches appear in unpredictable places every time the race starts.

That's a great idea! I could even randomly move some rocks and trees around within that shortcut so that it's not an invisible hazard.
I will ask the speedrunners for their opinion, since they have expressed interest in putting this track in their add-on mod. Randomness is probably something they don't want, so if possible I could just remove the shortcut in their version and keep it in the main game? I can detect if it's a time trial in scripting, so I can add an invisible wall for them ;)
edit: if I want the randomness to work in online multiplayer, it will break STK 1.0-and-lower unless they modify the file, so this won't be a priority until later. Maybe I could add a bit that detects if playing online and tells the player to modify the file to fix it lol.
eltomito {l Wrote}:Actually, it would be cool if there was a little brook running across that plain that you could only jump across in a concrete place.

It would be really cool, but I am a bit too lazy to make it look good right now ;) Like the old shortcut at the end of Nessie's Pond?
eltomito {l Wrote}:Yetti tracks in the snow? The snowman from Snow Peak?

I might be able to do the tracks, snowman would be easy to add across the road from the houses. :)
eltomito {l Wrote}:I've never found the secret route! It's rmaddenning but don't tell me!

That's the spirit! Good luck.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby Andet » 03 Jan 2020, 10:16

Hi!

Thanks for thinking of the speedrunners :D !

I think the best solution to the shortcut at the end is an invisible wall. The shortcut could instead be made harder, but in general off-road shortcuts are less enjoyable in my opinion because they slow you down. Another solution could be to make the off-road stronger, and maybe add a hard-to-see/narrow path of regular road. But I don't know how well this would work on practice.

On an unrelated note, have you ever thought about fixing up some of the official tracks for 2.0? :)
Andet

Postby benau » 03 Jan 2020, 11:54

benau
STK Moderator

Postby tempAnon093 » 04 Jan 2020, 01:49

Here is a release candidate for second version. I'm releasing this now so that if any functional fixes don't work, I can fix them ASAP. After this, I will focus on adding more decoration. The changelist is in that previous roadmap post.

https://files.catbox.moe/2h5z4v.zip

benau {l Wrote}:https://github.com/supertuxkart/stk-code/pull/4182#issuecomment-570539680

I will check that out today.

Andet {l Wrote}:On an unrelated note, have you ever thought about fixing up some of the official tracks for 2.0? :)

I haven't, but if any need minor fixes then I might try it. I am still a Blender noob and I'm working with pre-made STK assets, so I'll be able to fix things that don't work but I'm not sure about making new textures/materials/objects.
Is there a TODO list of issues?
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby Andet » 05 Jan 2020, 00:55

Looks good! Nice work :) . I think it's ready to be uploaded.

The main place I know that lists possible track improvements are here, but it looks like you're already aware of it ;) : https://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic ... 80&p=84406

One thing that I would personally like to see is Green Valley with updated textures. If none of this seems feasible at the moment that's ok though.
Andet

Postby kimden » 05 Jan 2020, 01:56

The fence and the track overall look good!

Just for your information, while the track works very well offline, online ride is more complicated because some players (including me) have huge lags for some reason. Cannot say that a lot of people have difficulties since there are generally not many players who ride add-ons online, but every time I saw a race someone was really struggling.
Though I don't know if it's fixable at all (or what causes it; it's not bad internet since most of other tracks are pretty smooth)...
kimden

Postby tempAnon093 » 06 Jan 2020, 00:53

I have submitted a revision to the add-on repo for 1.1.
It is the same as that last file, plus:
- In scripting, assume version 1.1 or higher by default
- Adjust tunnel cannon for a softer landing.

kimden {l Wrote}:Just for your information, while the track works very well offline, online ride is more complicated because some players (including me) have huge lags for some reason. [snip]

Good to know, hard to fix. I have tested on local online (single computer, 3 STK games open) and had no lag, so it will be annoying to test this to find out why.
The biggest difference between this track and others is extensive scripting, but I can't think of anything in there likely to cause issues.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby benau » 06 Jan 2020, 01:49

lol why don't you just use #if STK_VERSION > 1000099 !
benau
STK Moderator

Postby tempAnon093 » 06 Jan 2020, 04:07

benau {l Wrote}:lol why don't you just use #if STK_VERSION > 1000099 !

Because it will crash 1.0 and below, I believe.
The condition will be useful for if functionality is added in 1.1 onwards, but I think it needs to be done manually in old versions.

kimden {l Wrote}:while the track works very well offline, online ride is more complicated because some players (including me) have huge lags for some reason.

I tried Frozen Drive on HK #3 and seemed to have no lag. However, I had the 2nd revision and the server and/or other player didn't so I think that caused a server crash. Oops.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby benau » 06 Jan 2020, 09:52

well if 1.0 stk see #if STK_VERSION > 1000099 it will just ignore the whole scripting.as, and it will just complain about missing scripting function, you can try that.
benau
STK Moderator

Postby tempAnon093 » 06 Jan 2020, 11:38

benau {l Wrote}:well if 1.0 stk see #if STK_VERSION > 1000099 it will just ignore the whole scripting.as, and it will just complain about missing scripting function, you can try that.

My track relies on scripting.as running though, because some objects need to be hidden if not using the reverse track as well as music being managed through scripting. See Kimden's issue when the script didn't run.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby benau » 06 Jan 2020, 14:04

Ok
benau
STK Moderator

Postby kimden » 06 Jan 2020, 16:42

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:I tried Frozen Drive on HK #3 and seemed to have no lag. However, I had the 2nd revision and the server and/or other player didn't so I think that caused a server crash. Oops.

Btw there also was a crash when 2 players played recently, but I don't exactly know why (it said something about missing images (?) on server). Maybe different revisions indeed.

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:
benau {l Wrote}:lol why don't you just use #if STK_VERSION > 1000099 !

Because it will crash 1.0 and below, I believe.

I am testing the track (the latest revision) online on older versions between 1.0 and 1.1 and it indeed doesn't crash, but it shows a pile of snow and the fence for 1.0-like versions of STK (they cause almost no problem though because the server who plays has the latest revision and STK 1.1, just sometimes checklines are missed while playing).
kimden

Postby kimden » 06 Jan 2020, 19:49

kimden {l Wrote}:some players (including me) have huge lags for some reason.

Lol lags appeared to be a local continuous issue (not sure about the others though), nothing bad with Frozen Drive or any other track, don't worry!

2. When a player rides online alone and takes a prize, the server crashes (timeout happens in some time), and the client doesn't crash. When a spectator is added, the server and the spectator crash, the rider doesn't crash. (Everything tested with 1.1 clients and server)
kimden

Postby tempAnon093 » 06 Jan 2020, 22:32

kimden {l Wrote}:
tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:Btw there also was a crash when 2 players played recently, but I don't exactly know why (it said something about missing images (?) on server). Maybe different revisions indeed.

I am aware of a few missing, unused textures (approx_diagonals.png, zipper_stk_generic_ice_a.png, not certain about babel-trim11c.jpg, modern_mine_beam.png) and the orange fence was introduced, but I doubt missing textures will cause a crash. Server logs would be nice to have, but I think it's an 'update or it will crash' issue. Not much I can do about it.

kimden {l Wrote}:2. When a player rides online alone and takes a prize, the server crashes (timeout happens in some time), and the client doesn't crash. When a spectator is added, the server and the spectator crash, the rider doesn't crash. (Everything tested with 1.1 clients and server)

This is critical, do you have server logs? Can you confirm all clients and servers are on the newest Frozen Drive update (= rev 2).
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby kimden » 06 Jan 2020, 23:37

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:I am aware of a few missing, unused textures (approx_diagonals.png, zipper_stk_generic_ice_a.png, not certain about babel-trim11c.jpg, modern_mine_beam.png) and the orange fence was introduced, but I doubt missing textures will cause a crash. Server logs would be nice to have, but I think it's an 'update or it will crash' issue. Not much I can do about it.

I found the server log and it seems to be the prize trigger issue too.

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:This is critical, do you have server logs? Can you confirm all clients and servers are on the newest Frozen Drive update (= rev 2).

Yes, I have: https://pastebin.com/Zu2nTpB0. At least for one-player case I'm sure about rev 2 because the version on (my) server was copied from client's version (Client is also me). In the other case, the spectator and server have rev 2 for sure. I'm almost sure this behaviour is reproducible (happened 3 times already, as it appeared).
kimden

Postby tempAnon093 » 07 Jan 2020, 01:40

Kimden {l Wrote}:Yes, I have: https://pastebin.com/Zu2nTpB0. [snip]

I think I may have found it.
In rev 2, we iterate over all the karts to find the local one. The server may not have a local kart, so the local kart stays as number -1.
The server executes that code when a player collects the ice-cream (I forgot to add a player check to the ice-cream trigger), and it tries to find the location of kart number -1. That doesn't exist, causing a segfault crash.

I have updated the track with a fix. Thank you for the help :)
Revision 3:
https://online.supertuxkart.net/dl/1928 ... e2e812.zip
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093