Track and kart Ideas

Re: Track and kart Ideas

Postby Mr.XX99 » 22 Jul 2018, 08:23

Hi,
seems like you didn't include the images properly because I can't see them
Playing SuperTuxKart on my Windows 10 Laptop, my mobile phone and on my Anroid TV :)
(profile picture from John Tuggle URL: https://www.flickr.com/photos/22565768@N04/4454921691 License: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/ picture was edited by me)
Mr.XX99

Postby Magellan » 22 Jul 2018, 17:17

Mr.XX99 {l Wrote}:Hi,
seems like you didn't include the images properly because I can't see them

I am able to see the images if I right-click on the text that says "image" and click "View image". That will take me to the Imgur pages that they are hosted on. I am using Firefox.

For ease, here are some direct links to both:

https://i.imgur.com/tgCAjAa.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/tWzm4ey.jpg

@xxXperteXxx They look pretty good :)
YouTube page (mostly Gentoo videos): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8F_ci ... voRGQR-fMQ |/| Homepage: https://hmagellan.com
Magellan

Postby xxXperteXxx » 22 Jul 2018, 20:43

Thanks Magellan! Im not the best drawer, I dont have a good scanner and I used a lead pencil, but I hope that you can see my ideas.

I already made the 3D-Model for the Scratch kart, and Im working on the cat, but I havent understand how to add a kart to the game. I understood how to change the positions of the wheels and the nitro emitters, but how can I make that I see it in Game? I want to try it out first on my computer and maybe rework some stuff. And how can I add a texture? Im pretty new to Blender and absolutely new to kart making. I hope you can understand my texts despite its many faults, Im really sorry for it but Im still going to school and Im not the best in english.
xxXperteXxx

Postby QwertyChouskie » 24 Jul 2018, 20:54

You may want to see https://supertuxkart.net/Making_Karts as it has a lot of info on the kart-making process.
Contributor to/fan of STK (Upstreamed Cartoon theme, numerous random big fixes/tweaks)
QwertyChouskie

Postby Ludsky » 08 Sep 2018, 13:18

New Kart : The Lion of "Brave" : The new browser of Mozilla foundation

Ludsky

Postby tempAnon093 » 03 Feb 2019, 02:21

What kind of unusual track features are possible at the moment?

For example, Cocoa Temple allows a 90° banking without falling down. I checked the Making Tracks wiki page and it mentions Magnet sections. There is a lot of potential for this.
I am very surprised I have not seen a vertical loop in a track. Has anyone attempted this yet?

Relevant link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roller_coaster_elements

Maybe a corkscrew style element would go well in a track. In Rollercoaster Tycoon 3, I remember making a half inline twist (ie. banking the track up the wall and then again onto the ceiling) leading into the second half of a vertical loop. Here's an example, at 1:26 after that set of brakes. Maybe this could be done as a heartline roll (or headline roll??)
In fact, a mobius strip-like track is possible.

Maybe cannons or zippers can be used to shoot players back up to the top of a reasonably long, steep downwards map, so they don't have to drive all the way back up. That would allow for a fast toboggan-style track.

Another interesting idea is to reuse track elements along with checklines or checkline groups. I suppose the fun idea of a two-way section of track would be rejected (I guess either there will be erroneous "Wrong Way" signs in intersections or AI issues). Here's an example of what I mean, with two directions and no road divider stopping you from using weapons on the karts going the other direction.

When a player is flattened, does this allow them to drive under low ceilings that would normally block them?

Of course some of these elements can easily risk disorientation or confusion if used poorly or in excess, so that should be acknowledged.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby tempAnon093 » 16 Feb 2019, 04:28

How about a slalom skiing style track?

disclaimer: I have never watched or done slalom skiing
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby Kacper11PL » 29 Jun 2019, 15:47

Kart idea: Scratch Cat. A mascot of https://scratch.mit.edu
Kacper11PL

Postby huuanh2811 » 03 Jul 2019, 09:38

Hi all,

I was thinking it would be very nice to include the extra cute llama from caminandes (http://www.caminandes.com/) in STK. This character would give a really nice kart! What do you guys think?
huuanh2811

Postby Random Paradox » 22 Jul 2019, 01:51

huuanh2811 {l Wrote}:Hi all,

I was thinking it would be very nice to include the extra cute llama from caminandes (http://www.caminandes.com/) in STK. This character would give a really nice kart! What do you guys think?

Add the penguin too. We need a penguin! Forgot about tux.
Completer of the Ling Ling Workout.
Random Paradox

Postby Digidog » 26 Jul 2019, 05:21

Hello,

New guy here ! I am totally in love with STK and have only been playing it for a couple of days.

I have read through this ideas thread and it seems to me that a track of areas representing Countries of the World would be a good thing.
Perhaps with drag race like straighaways (featuring silly amounts of powerups and weapons) connecting them.
Each Country (its own little world) could feature a few landmarks or culture items (and hazzards) it is famous for.. Canada section could have a giant hockey rink with flying pucks to dodge and slippery surfaces as well as the CN Tower, Niagra Falls - CDN Side, The North Pole etc. The USA section could feature the grand canyon as a gauntlet. Australia section the Sydney Opera House and Ayer's Rock .. Egypt, well that is already covered :) .. Switzerland could have an all uphill windy ice track. etc etc... It would be a big track but there is so much potential for it.

Another thought I had would be to include portals with random exits. Even 2 Karts entering side by side would end up in different places... it would only be fair to have all exits an equal distance from the Lap Line though.

Also a portal might also solve the problem mentioned in another post about point to point races. At the "end" a portal plops the Kart a foot before the starting line so the loop is closed and the game engine is satisfied.

My 2 cents worth...
Digidog

Postby tempAnon093 » 26 Jul 2019, 10:12

Digidog {l Wrote}:Also a portal might also solve the problem mentioned in another post about point to point races. At the "end" a portal plops the Kart a foot before the starting line so the loop is closed and the game engine is satisfied.

I wonder if a cannon with a high enough speed would act as a crude portal? Since the kart's path can be defined, it could even move the player to a decorated tunnel if a portal transition is desired. I am too busy to check for the next few weeks but I would be interested to see if it works! Developer insight would be appreciated.

Digidog {l Wrote}:Another thought I had would be to include portals with random exits. Even 2 Karts entering side by side would end up in different places... it would only be fair to have all exits an equal distance from the Lap Line though.

If the above idea works, then I guess someone could place a few different cannons side-by-side but make it appear to be just one portal so that each cannon moves the kart to a different location.
(Possible issue: can a kart trigger multiple cannons at once? That could be weird :) Also, what if two players enter the same cannon side-by-side? I just tested this in Cornfield Crossing already! There seems to be no collision while in the cannon and overlapping karts seem to resolve at the end without issue, karts inside each other just end up side by side)
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby Typhon » 02 Aug 2019, 14:54

Hi there, I'm working on a new kart called Apophis, and...
well, have a look for yourself and tell me what you think about it.

Feedback would be great.
Attachments
Preview.png
Typhon

Postby Ntech » 02 Aug 2019, 16:41

Cool! I'd suggest smoothening the wheels, instead of those jagged edges. Perhaps a pyramid hubcap on each wheel?
Deo gratias, Ave Maria
Ntech

Postby Mr.XX99 » 02 Aug 2019, 16:59

Looks great :)
Playing SuperTuxKart on my Windows 10 Laptop, my mobile phone and on my Anroid TV :)
(profile picture from John Tuggle URL: https://www.flickr.com/photos/22565768@N04/4454921691 License: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/ picture was edited by me)
Mr.XX99

Postby Typhon » 02 Aug 2019, 17:29

Hmmm... @Ntech You mean something like that?
Attachments
hubcap.png
Typhon

Postby Digidog » 09 Aug 2019, 04:57

Typhon, I really like it so far !
Digidog

Postby sommejul » 03 Sep 2019, 12:22

a track where not the fastest, but the smartest is the winner.
(the track must be difficult to finish. like animtrack)
sommejul

Postby sommejul » 03 Sep 2019, 12:22

a track where not the fastest, but the smartest is the winner.
sommejul

Postby tempAnon093 » 05 Sep 2019, 17:59

I experimented a bit with cannons. I'm glad to confirm you can use them as teleporters!

YouTube video
[non-YouTube link coming soon...]

I intentionally made the two areas look the same, to demonstrate how smooth teleportation is able to be. The white frame is where the teleportation happens, it marks the start line of a very fast cannon, which ends 30 units above and one forward (so, as you can see, the player is smoothly teleported up a floor).
You can teleport forwards, sideways, whatever. It's just a really fast cannon. However, the camera will try to smoothly follow you if the cannon path turns sideways. Also, cannons will straighten up the kart's direction when they enter.
I did need to edit scene.xml to increase the cannon speed above the Blender plugin's maximum (250) for instantly teleporting further than a few units.

I will try to make a nicer looking test track and share it here soon, so that we can check if this works on lower and higher-end computers before I assume this is a good idea.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby Typhon » 26 Sep 2019, 18:54

So, this is how my character is looking painted
Any ideas for the Kart's color? Feedback is welcome :)
Attachments
PreviewKart.png
PreviewApophisSide.png
PreviewApophisFront.png
PreviewApophisBack.png
Typhon

Postby benau » 27 Sep 2019, 13:48

maybe let it look like evil tux kart lol
benau
STK Moderator

Postby Ludsky » 27 Sep 2019, 18:59

Perhaps purple color and/or Yellow.
Your kart is wonderful. I hope it will become an official kart :)
Ludsky

Postby kimden » 17 Nov 2019, 19:22

sommejul {l Wrote}:a track where not the fastest, but the smartest is the winner.

The problem is that it's enough to come up once with the correct way to complete a lap, then it's only a matter of time to become experienced. One needs a track changing from race to race to ensure the "smartest" in any sense wins...

Look at animtrack runs, there are only a few players that can complete a lap, but most of them can now do several laps in a row. It's not a consequence of "smartness" (whatever you mean by that), it's because the fast way to do a lap was spread inside the community and what is required now is mostly training.

(Btw I'll be glad to see another animtrack lol)
I make servers, addons, online events, and many others things.
my page, my STK fork, my youtube channel
kimden

Postby tempAnon093 » 18 Nov 2019, 09:12

kimden {l Wrote}:The problem is that it's enough to come up once with the correct way to complete a lap, then it's only a matter of time to become experienced. One needs a track changing from race to race to ensure the "smartest" in any sense wins...

Agreed. If the track is the same each time, then it will take skills (or a walkthrough) to complete once but then after that you can just copy the answer from before. It's like shortcuts in maps, once you see someone use them, you know them forever.

I have always been a fan of the idea of dynamic tracks. We already have dynamic obstacles (such as the train in Black Forest).
AngelScript does have a random number generator which could be used to move or destroy paths and obstacles. You could even make a map show/hide objects to make a random track out of pre-made track elements. This could be useful in testing how well a driver can adapt to new tracks. However, this would confuse the dumb AI players. ;)
Triggers can allow users to change up a track during the race, I had an idea for a cliff-side track with a user-triggered drawbridge alternate route, so that if the drawbridge is down then the alternate route is faster but if the drawbridge is up then it becomes slower. You couldn't be able to see the bridge until you choose that path, and someone else can even hit the trigger after you pass it. That way, the alternate route is a gamble, but a smart player could figure out if it's worth hitting the trigger or not.
drawbridge.png
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093