Even more new music "Call of the Winding Path"

Even more new music "Call of the Winding Path"

Postby BlasterMaster » 15 Aug 2019, 08:16

My 10th musical contribution!

This one's a bit different than my usual. Much more ambient than others. I wanted to create a piece with environment. And something that won't get repetitive as fast. Let me know if you think I should make an ambient track like this for each level type.

https://soundcloud.com/jason-lavallee-370930342/call-of-the-winding-path

https://ufile.io/glo3ujjh
You love goats, not me.
BlasterMaster

Re: Even more new music "Call of the Winding Path"

Postby Alzter » 15 Aug 2019, 10:58

It's alright, although honestly it sounds a bit ambient. In my opinion there needs to be more focus on a main melody and instruments to support that melody, as the current one sounds more like random instruments that chime in one after another.
Alzter

Postby charlie » 15 Aug 2019, 11:35

I really like it. I think it'd be a great overworld tune. Perhaps slightly slow paced for the action of a platformer.
In my opinion there needs to be more focus on a main melody and instruments to support that melody, as the current one sounds more like random instruments that chime in one after another.

Did you listen to the full track? I thought it developed really well.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby BlasterMaster » 15 Aug 2019, 17:33

Not to dismiss criticism, but the point was to be very ambient. Something that doesn't hit you over the head with the same repetitive theme (Especially for difficult levels), and instead create an atmosphere of the forest. However, it could also be used as an extra track in the level editor, and not in the actual game. Though, I do appreciate the differing opinions.
You love goats, not me.
BlasterMaster

Postby BlasterMaster » 15 Aug 2019, 17:41

Perhaps I need to make the background birds a tad louder.
You love goats, not me.
BlasterMaster

Postby WeLuvGoatz » 21 Aug 2019, 21:25

I just had the idea of level editor music, and then I come here and see it's already been suggested. :D
No.
WeLuvGoatz
SuperTux Moderator

Postby Serano » 21 Aug 2019, 21:40

WeLuvGoatz {l Wrote}:I just had the idea of level editor music, and then I come here and see it's already been suggested. :D

It would really be ideal for this purpose.
SuperTux Team Member
Serano

Postby Alzter » 22 Aug 2019, 01:44

BlasterMaster {l Wrote}:Not to dismiss criticism, but the point was to be very ambient. Something that doesn't hit you over the head with the same repetitive theme (Especially for difficult levels), and instead create an atmosphere of the forest. However, it could also be used as an extra track in the level editor, and not in the actual game. Though, I do appreciate the differing opinions.

True, however if you're going to make longer tracks wouldn't the melody be less repetitive anyway? I get that you're going for more ambient sounding music but the melody is really what makes music catchy and sticks in your head.

Try using some of the old SuperTux music as a guide on how to structure songs maybe? I'm not really much of a musician myself so take my advice with a grain of salt, but I think consistency with the original music is just as important as consistency with the original art.
Alzter

Postby Serano » 11 Nov 2019, 09:37

I've added it in the meantime, since we definitely have some use for it. ;) Thanks for your contribution, BlasterMaster.
SuperTux Team Member
Serano

Postby charlie » 12 Nov 2019, 12:04

Overworld track! Especially for the forest world. I like it even more now listening to it for a 2nd time. It certainly isn't repetitive.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator