Re: Make IRC great again?

Postby Julius » 20 Oct 2019, 18:45

https://github.com/ugjka/irc-tts

I for one, welcome our new robot voice IRC overlords :p
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Evropi » 06 Nov 2019, 21:20

I'm surprised you lot didn't go with Matrix and Riot. I believe they have decent IRC integration, and some clients (like WeeChat, my client of choice - though I appreciate it's a bit hardcore) have direct support for the Matrix protocol.

I only have direct experience with one. Inkscape's solution is really good. Apart from having by far the best support I've ever received from a free software community, hands down, they have a wonderful HTML5<->IRC bridge.

Your can find the HTML version on https://chat.inkscape.org/. I asked in their channel, turns out it's based on rocket.chat. I don't know how trivial it is to set up, it looks like a complex piece of kit but let me say it works fantastically for their art-focused community, where they constantly share image and vector files with each other.
You just wasted 3 seconds of your life reading this.
Evropi

Postby Julius » 06 Nov 2019, 21:59

Matrix is a mess when it comes to self-hosting (their only functional home-server Synapse specifically). In addition, I feel that the automatic duplication of all channel contents (while in theory a very resilient method of decentralisation) on all connected home-servers, is combined with their incomplete implementation of end 2 end encryption quite a privacy concern. I prefer chats to be ephemeral, with scroll-back history for convenience sake for a few weeks at most. A Matrix home-server by default never forgets any content, and so do all home-servers connected to it. So even if you go though the painstaking effort of manually cleaning up the database (it very quickly becomes hundreds of gigabytes big), everything will be still stored on the matrix.org instance due to the automatic permanent duplication as soon as a single user with a matrix.org account connect to your channel.

I considered Rocketchat before (it even has some sort of inter-instance federation now), but in the end there were some technical reasons why I prefer IRC / XMPP. It seems to be a nice option though... although the same could be said of Mattermost but at least for the latter it turned out that the devil lies in the detail and I can not recommend Mattermost anymore due to the quite well hidden but really annoying "open-core" aspect of it.

To give a quick update on the matter of IRC... I am currently procrastinating with other stuff and can't really find the motivation to fix up things as planned. I did get a test installation of Movim (a cool webbased XMPP client) working with Docker though just yesterday.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 14 Nov 2019, 01:40

Small update:

1. switched back to The Lounge (v3.3.0) on https://irc.freegamedev.net as Dispatch hasn't been updated in a while. Edit: trying Dispatch again...
2. You can now use our IRC server accessible via irc.freegamedev.net/6697 (SSL) and even register an account there with NickServ. It has basic bouncer functionality and if the client supports requesting channel history that is also possible.
So far there aren't any channels set up, nor any kind of advanced bridging, but the IRC server itself if working more or less as intended. Oragono (v.1.2.0rc1) is really nice :)

Edit: Something is strange (at least over here) in the specific combination of The Lounge and Oragono. The connection seems to fail all the time. Can't quite figure out what is causing it :(
Edit2: same happens with another IRC server called Ngircd. I am at a loss why... probably some arcane Docker port forwarding related issue :(
Edit: "Make IRC great again" is on hold until further notice :( But XMPP is already great :heart:
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 25 May 2020, 02:08

Dispatch is being updated again, Convos got video chats via WebRTC, and Oragono 2.1 has direct websocket support to be used directly with the new KiwiIRC, which is pretty cool.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 12 Jun 2020, 15:20

https://github.com/dzejkob-b/discord_irc_pugbot

Seems pretty cool as well.

As an update to this: probably will try to get the ircd gateway for xmpp working so that users can join xmpp MUCs with their irc clients. This is mainly to use it with all the cool irc bots and regular IRC users can stay on Freenode.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 29 May 2021, 19:54

irc.freegamedev.net/6697 is back and stable now.

Additional stuff incoming, like a XMPP gateway.
Julius
Community Moderator