Beam Runner track

Beam Runner track

Postby tempAnon093 » 22 Sep 2019, 13:08

Hi all! Here's another track.

Beam Runner
(SuperTuxKart 3000 unofficial release)
I had to pick the blue character.png

One of the most wonderful parts of SuperTuxKart is the open-source community which has created it. I think it is beautiful how people are willing to release their creations into the public with little or no restrictions.
With this in mind, I decided to look through BlendSwap to see if anyone had created an entire game map I could port to SuperTuxKart. I eventually found "Beam Runner City" by turnpike101 (aka. EqualOpposite). This city already has a track running through it! For the past couple of days, I have copied, modified and/or recreated parts of this city to make it into a SuperTuxKart add-on.

Essentially, Patrick designed a cool SuperTuxKart track in 2012 and he doesn't even know it yet. Nice work, Patrick :)

A video is worth a thousand pictures, so here is a three lap race on the track. My apologies for the video compression.
invidio.us / YouTube

Here is the download link: https://files.catbox.moe/qg6dhl.zip although it can now be found (with source) in the add-ons list.

There are a couple of small changes that need to be made before adding this to the add-on site (such as adding STK advertisements onto buildings, adding other decorations and stopping the grey grates from catching the kart) however overall I am happy with how it has turned out. Feedback is welcome.

Once again, thank you to turnpike101 for releasing this track under a CC license.

DISCLAIMER: I do not know what the Japanese signs say.

--------
Current version: 1
Improvements for next version:
- Make karts reset if they fall off the edge of the track (it's possible)
- Add STK organizations' ads onto buildings to add more cyberpunk color, as seen in the original (Is this a good idea? Y/N?)
Last edited by tempAnon093 on 22 Oct 2019, 10:38, edited 2 times in total.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Re: Beam Runner track

Postby QwertyChouskie » 28 Sep 2019, 17:24

Looks pretty nice! Reminds me of the new Core City track Samuncle has been working on. Can't wait to see it on add-ons!
Contributor to/fan of STK (Upstreamed Cartoon theme, numerous random big fixes/tweaks)
QwertyChouskie

Postby tempAnon093 » 05 Oct 2019, 04:41

QwertyChouskie {l Wrote}:Looks pretty nice! Reminds me of the new Core City track Samuncle has been working on. Can't wait to see it on add-ons!

I submitted it to add-ons a few days ago.
I just realised that I might have signed up with an email address that I can't check any more, so if they sent an email back then I never saw it. :/ I will hop into IRC later and try to get my email address updated.

I think I heard about Core City once and I haven't seen it yet. I'm excited!
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby QwertyChouskie » 05 Oct 2019, 18:24

An early WIP preview of Core City: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlJLtsyKqKg (wow, that was all the way back in 2018? How time flies)
Contributor to/fan of STK (Upstreamed Cartoon theme, numerous random big fixes/tweaks)
QwertyChouskie

Postby Andet » 09 Oct 2019, 07:37

Nice and simple layout, very cool visually, another good track :) !

The only problem I noticed was that there is only one checkline, which can almost always be exploited (unless the checkline is extremely carefully placed). To be safe I would add at least two more.
Andet

Postby tempAnon093 » 09 Oct 2019, 15:41

Andet {l Wrote}:The only problem I noticed was that there is only one checkline, which can almost always be exploited (unless the checkline is extremely carefully placed). To be safe I would add at least two more.

Good thinking, I will make sure to do that. :)

I'm also thinking of making the blue glow on the sides of the track less intense, to better match the clean feeling of the original ( https://www.blendswap.com/blend/4815 )
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby tempAnon093 » 21 Oct 2019, 09:46

Well, this explains why the track wasn't appearing in the add-ons.
addon.png

I think it was a failed upload. This time it worked.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby benau » 01 Nov 2019, 14:52

lol your track looks like hong kong
benau
STK Moderator