Nabla X

Nabla X

Postby McLenin » 17 Jan 2010, 21:02

Well this is a game I've been working on for a while. It's more like a beta version at the moment, but if you'd like to check it out, it's available at:

http://nablax.sourceforge.net/

The game is written in Java.
McLenin

Re: Nabla X

Postby qubodup » 17 Jan 2010, 21:06

Hunger.. must.. see.. screenshots..

I tried starting the game to get a screenshot. Then X crashed.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby charlie » 17 Jan 2010, 23:53

Please add at least one screenshot, as well as a description, including your goals with the game.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby McLenin » 18 Jan 2010, 09:16

i attached a screenshot to this post. As for the game rules it's quite simple. Click on the blocks on the right, to rotate them. the goal is to get the same setup as the one the left. As for my goals with the game, well mostly I just wanted to learn a bit about OpenGL and upgrade my Java knowledge. I have a few ideas on what could be added to the game, but they'll have to wait for a couple of weeks.

BTW, if the game crashes would you be so kind as to send me the output.txt file that is in the game directory (it's a log file that could help me pinpoint the problem).
Attachments
Screenshot-Nabla x.png
McLenin

Postby Taldor » 18 Jan 2010, 23:41

Some random remarks:
    - There are two typos in the linux-x86 v0.8 release: 'nabal' instead of 'nabla', and a space before '.zip'.
    - The space between 'linux' and '-x86' is also pretty uncommon.
    - Make sure 'NablaX.sh' is executable on unix filesystems.
    - Add a 'Restart' button.
Taldor

Postby qubodup » 19 Jan 2010, 01:39

McLenin {l Wrote}:BTW, if the game crashes would you be so kind as to send me the output.txt file that is in the game directory (it's a log file that could help me pinpoint the problem).

Sorry for being so unhelpful, I was unwell. Bad mood -> complain without being constructive :|

It seems only to crash when I run the 'awesome' window manager. with 'dwm' it works (but it freezes when I finish the first level (only the game) - http://codepad.org/XnbfGdYa ).

When I run it in awesome, I see the banner but when I click it X (or just my WM) crashes. Awesome and other tiling window managers are notoriously unsupported by Java.. - http://codepad.org/b7orBBmW
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby McLenin » 19 Jan 2010, 09:29

@Taldor, thanks for your remarks, I will repair the typos in the next version, also the execution. As for the Restart button, thank you for the idea, I really haven't thought about it but now that you mentioned it, it sounds like a really good option.

@qubodup thank you for your help as well. I have never heard of this problems with windows managers before. I'm not really sure if I can do anything about it, except perhaps change the layout in Java (I'm using an unstanderd layout ATM) but I don't believe it would change anything. the only other thing I can do, is to add a warning about the 'awesome' window manager.

Thank you both for your help so far.
McLenin

Postby qubodup » 20 Jan 2010, 13:28

I tried running the 32bit version on my 32bit Netbook and it crashed awesome again. This time there is more output. - http://codepad.org/sKai6yYl
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby McLenin » 20 Jan 2010, 18:44

Thank you for your help, this is something I'll try to look into for the next version. I kind of suspect it might be a problem with the JOGL libraries (the pbuffer functionality I'm using is still in it's beta phase), so I'll see what I can do.
McLenin

Postby KIAaze » 22 Jan 2010, 17:47

I like the website with the different geekdom symbols. :)
And the name of the game. I suppose the sequel will be "d'Alembert X" (square/box X). :D
KIAaze

Postby McLenin » 25 Jan 2010, 13:23

Thank you.

Actually it's supposed to be a cross product sign, to make it a curl. But it turns out that Unicode is still a problem on some systems :) , but now that you mentioned it d'Alembert X does sounds good.
McLenin