Ghost-Tree

Ghost-Tree

Postby SketchStick » 28 Apr 2015, 05:58

Usually my style is too recognizable to jump into a project this late, but I might be able to get away with it on a boss sprite.

Wiki: http://supertux.lethargik.org/wiki/GhostTree
Git: https://github.com/SuperTux/supertux/tr ... /ghosttree

Which level is this boss on and what's the quickest way to get to it? What's the gameplay suppose to be like? I just need some context about what it's suppose to be and a better idea of what animations I'll need to make before I can jump in. I'll just do some sketches and notes while we sort out the details...
SketchStick

Re: Ghost-Tree

Postby sydneyjd » 01 May 2015, 19:31

I'm very sorry to hear that no one has replied. ;(
sydneyjd

Postby charlie » 02 May 2015, 03:03

It's only been a few days and the ST guys are not the most frequent posters. Give it time.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby LMH » 03 May 2015, 18:41

Currently, the ghost tree is not actually in-game, although I believe it is meant to be the end boss of the forest level. You can still experience the gameplay mechanics by cheking out "test levels" under the "contrib" menu. If memory serves me, there is a level entitled "Trees Stink" (which doesn't make very much sense, but I think someone renamed it from "Trees Suck" with the aim of being more kid-friendly, despite the fact that the ghost tree litterally sucks in willowisps as part of the encounter).

Head's up, it is pretty rough, and not very intuitive what it is that you are suppose to do. SPOILER: to defeat the tree, you must capture some of the willowisps with the empty lanterns, the filled lantern must be placed close to the mouth of the tree where it will be sucked in to cause damage. Currently, I believe it just ends abruptly when you do this once.

Now might be a good time to discuss some of the mechanics of the encounter, if you are wanting to finish the graphics- which would be awesome. For example, I think all three colors of willowisps should have to be inhaled by the tree in order for victory. More relevant to the art, perhaps it should be done in a way that the eyes follow Tux around the screen. Or maybe the death animation should be something where the tree is no longer haunted, and begins to sprout new growth. These are just some of my random ideas; I'm not sure what the original intent was, but you might be able to discuss it with the more active members in the IRC chat channel- I think there is generally somone floating around there.
LMH

Postby SketchStick » 07 Jul 2015, 03:50

I tried the test level and currently the mechanics of the ghost tree don't make sense at all. You're feeding him something he was already sucking in anyway and there's no logical reason why you'd suddenly win by doing so..
SketchStick

Postby sydneyjd » 28 Aug 2015, 19:09

We should remote the tree altogether, but i think someone has a level or 2 based on it.
sydneyjd

Postby WeLuvGoatz » 11 Sep 2019, 18:30

If you're intent on removing an object: don't delete the files from the game code, instead I recommend going into "objects.stoi" and just removing the entry that contains the object you wish to delete. It deletes the enemy from level editor use without actually removing it from current levels.
No.
WeLuvGoatz
SuperTux Moderator

Postby Alzter » 20 Sep 2019, 13:36

I'd love to see your interpretation of the Ghost Tree!
Alzter