SuperTux running anim

SuperTux running anim

Postby shino1 » 01 Aug 2019, 17:47

I noticed that Tux doesn't actually have a sperate running animation when in his Super form - but small Tux does.
Would contributing sprites for his brand-new running anim be welcome?
shino1

Re: SuperTux running anim

Postby Alzter » 13 Aug 2019, 06:47

shino1 {l Wrote}:I noticed that Tux doesn't actually have a sperate running animation when in his Super form - but small Tux does.
Would contributing sprites for his brand-new running anim be welcome?

Probably, although I'm starting to wonder if a running animation is really needed.
Alzter

Postby shino1 » 19 Aug 2019, 03:18

I mean, currently small Tux has a running animation, but big Tux doesn't. Consistency would require big Tux to have one, too.
It also is useful for gameplay information, as it would allow the player to visually see the rate at which Tux accelerates.

Here's my WIP on the animation, traditionally animated (I can shrink it down when finished). In the future, I will add 'mirrored' set of frames where the wings will be moving in the opposite directions for a full loop.
shino1

Postby onpon4 » 19 Aug 2019, 04:11

Yeah, the run animation was commissioned for use in ReTux, then I think I submitted a patch to the SuperTux project adding use of it. ReTux doesn't have big Tux, so it never needed a big version of the animation, hence the discrepancy.
onpon4

Postby BlasterMaster » 20 Aug 2019, 06:10

I'd feel quite sad if they didn't end up using Alzter's Run animation though.
You love goats, not me.
BlasterMaster

Postby Alzter » 21 Aug 2019, 12:33

BlasterMaster {l Wrote}:I'd feel quite sad if they didn't end up using Alzter's Run animation though.

Don't worry, I'll make a new one. The old one did look a bit too humanoid.

shino1 {l Wrote}:Here's my WIP on the animation, traditionally animated (I can shrink it down when finished). In the future, I will add 'mirrored' set of frames where the wings will be moving in the opposite directions for a full loop.

I don't know, it needs a lot of work. It doesn't convey movement very well and Tux's chest inflates and deflates like a balloon. Try getting the keyframes down first and do some research on how run cycles are animated.
Alzter

Postby charlie » 30 Aug 2019, 13:46

Tux is a penguin. Try to make it run like a penguin might run and not how a human runs. (Ironically the same mistake that Alzter made, albeit in higher quality.) The wings should flap, not sway like arms. Perhaps have them trail backwards a bit too. Embrace the cartoony nature of it. Lean forwards, wings backwards, flapping in situe not moving back and forth, or perhaps not flapping at all.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby charlie » 30 Aug 2019, 13:51

Watch, especially towards the end, to see something a bit closer to what I mean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWH_9VRWn8Y&t=43s
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator