Simple Platformer in LibGDX

Simple Platformer in LibGDX

Postby SteveSmith » 13 Aug 2019, 10:58

I've just finished a simple multiplayer platformer, using LibGDX. It's all complete (including open-source assets) but has simple gameplay: players must collect the most coins while avoiding (or jumping on) the baddies. It's designed to be used by someone who doesn't want to write all the boilerplate code to get something up and running quickly, and can then add their own gameplay elements.

Full source is here: https://bitbucket.org/SteveSmith16384/s ... rc/master/

Ideally, I wish there were more open source games that were complete and fully functional (including good assets in place) but with simple gameplay, i.e. ready to be easily extended into something more by other people. Any suggestions?
SteveSmith

Re: Simple Platformer in LibGDX

Postby fluffrabbit » 13 Aug 2019, 12:03

My suggestion is to use lower-level tools than LibGDX, though you will have to combine them. Lots of folks go for all-in-one solutions, which is fine, but it doesn't really scratch the programming itch for certain developers, at least if you want collaboration. If you just want players, LibGDX is fine.
fluffrabbit

Postby dulsi » 13 Aug 2019, 13:03

I've been looking for a multiplayer platformer. The cub scouts built an arcade machine and I've restricted it to games that support two player simultaneous to allow as many people to play as possible. Gradle is being removed from Fedora so I haven't tried your game yet. I could try it now with gradle from the distribution but that won't work with the next release. Any chance you would change to maven or something else supported by Fedora? For the arcade machine, the joystick and buttons are sent as keyboard input to the computer so support for two players using one keyboard would need to be added but I doubt that is much trouble.
dulsi

Postby SteveSmith » 13 Aug 2019, 13:26

Could you compile it on one PC and then copy it across to the Fedora box?
SteveSmith

Postby dulsi » 13 Aug 2019, 13:39

SteveSmith {l Wrote}:Could you compile it on one PC and then copy it across to the Fedora box?

Building it for me is not the problem. I can install gradle manually. I just want to get cool games in the distribution. If Fedora isn't supporting gradle, nothing that uses it to build can be packaged in the distribution. (Someone who wants to add a program using gradle could also package gradle but I don't know how difficult that is.)
dulsi

Postby Jastiv » 15 Aug 2019, 22:03

gradle moves to fast for fedora to support it. If you are going to use it (cause your you want to try a game that uses it) use SDKman! It allows you to have multiple gradle versions installed at once too https://sdkman.io/
Jastiv

Postby dulsi » 16 Aug 2019, 22:10

Jastiv {l Wrote}:gradle moves to fast for fedora to support it. If you are going to use it (cause your you want to try a game that uses it) use SDKman! It allows you to have multiple gradle versions installed at once too https://sdkman.io/

I don't think that is the case. From the announcement it sounded like they needed maintain changes to gradle. I suspect that means gradle has some feature Fedora doesn't want for some reason.

I don't want to install multiple versions of gradle. If I need multiple versions, I consider that broken. I should not have to update my project every release of gradle because they broke previous configurations.
dulsi

Postby SteveSmith » 17 Aug 2019, 08:42

It seems like every time I open Android Studio, there's another Gradle update.
SteveSmith

Postby fluffrabbit » 17 Aug 2019, 08:51

SteveSmith {l Wrote}:It seems like every time I open Android Studio, there's another Gradle update.

Story of my life. How about this: Stop using Android Studio. I run a forum over at mobilegamedev.org where I am trying to come up with alternative solutions.
fluffrabbit