BBC: “‘My son spent £3,160 in one game’”

BBC: “‘My son spent £3,160 in one game’”

Postby Wuzzy » 17 Jul 2019, 15:25

The proprietary video game world has become pretty brutal in the last few years.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-48925623

This news article shows how big major commercial proprietary video game titles, but also proprietary mobile game tiltes include so-called “micro-transactions” to trick players into forking ever-increasing amounts of real cash. In games that are rated PEGI-3 or something equivalent!

BBC published another article this month about the same problem:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-48908766

Can we just collectively accept the term “micro-transactions” is nothing more than propaganda? This bullshit has been absolutely flooding the proprietary game world in the past, and it's a real pest.
Wuzzy

Re: BBC: “‘My son spent £3,160 in one game’”

Postby Jastiv » 17 Jul 2019, 17:24

Its like the arcade, the difference is with the arcade, its much easier for parents to limit spending to a certain amount and that is it, while the phone stores credit card details and allows in-app purchases without further authorization.
Ideally, there would be a way for a parent to set up some kind of allowance, so only a certain amount could be spent. It should require a bunch of hoops that no kid is going to be able to go through just by swiping on a phone without much thought.
Jastiv

Postby charlie » 19 Jul 2019, 00:34

Also arcades are pennies at a time. I indulge in a couple of idle games and the prices they charge are unreal. I don't bite but I can see that many do.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby fluffrabbit » 22 Jul 2019, 01:07

charlie {l Wrote}:Also arcades are pennies at a time. I indulge in a couple of idle games and the prices they charge are unreal. I don't bite but I can see that many do.

Honest question: Why play a game in which the goal is to not play the game?
fluffrabbit

Postby Jastiv » 22 Jul 2019, 01:34

I think a lot of gaming is about having small achievable goals. That is why we don't want games to be to easy or to hard. So much in life, you try something, but there is no guarantee you will actually achieve anything even if your put hours and hours into it. Games can give you that sense of achievement.
Jastiv