POLL: Would a FGD git repository be of use for you?

Would a web-based git repository hosted by FGD be of use to you?

No, I am using Github (or other existing) and would not use it at all.
39%
Not really, but I might set up a simple code mirror
13%
Not for my code, but a separate issue tracker and/or wiki for a project might be interesting
No votes
Yes, as a smaller project repository only for open-source games seems useful
17%
Yes, as using only FOSS software is important to me (and Gitlab isn't to my liking)
13%
Yes, as I like to have everything in one place to allow easier interaction with players
No votes
Yes, other (please comment below)
9%
No, other (please comment below)
9%

Total votes : 23

Re: POLL: Would a FGD git repository be of use for you?

Postby Julius » 11 May 2019, 21:13

Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 16 May 2019, 18:30

You can now use your Github or Gitlab account to login (and register) on our Gitea.

I'll also add an option to login with your FGD Mattermost account once I have fixed an issue with it. Maybe also Hubzilla if I can get it to work.

Any requests for other OAuth2/OpenID Connect supporting services?
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby charlie » 17 May 2019, 11:17

Awesome work Julius.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Julius » 25 Jun 2019, 10:11

Sorry for the outage of the service yesterday. Somehow my Redis setup is acting up since a update, so for now the chaching is disabled. Might be a bit slower as a result until I have found the problem.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby domtron » 25 Jun 2019, 14:55

FYI, I created a repo just to mess around with gitea and maybe host a thing there permanently. Don't go looking for it though, it's really not interesting. XD

Do you plan to link all FGD accounts together? I.E. same account to log into forums/git/social/etc, only need to login/signup once. I understand that would be a bit of work (probably understated) to get it working like that.

Maybe this is a different discussion, but a thing that has really annoyed me with Git Repo services like github etc is that the wiki cannot be served out of the repository. It's just markdown anyway and whats the point of documentation if you don't keep it with the code. You end up either doubling up your documentation or using one of those annoying sub-repo things that require extra steps to pull down correctly and is linked to the repo that stores the wiki.
domtron

Postby Julius » 25 Jun 2019, 18:27

I sort of link the accounts together already, just not through LDAP or such, but rather optional via OpenID Connect. It is just that I am waiting for Gitea to add support for custom OAuth2 connections which is AFAIK planned really soon. I just can't link it to the these forums as they are on a completely different server not under my administration.

Regarding the wiki... in gitea you can link to any external source with the wiki tab. So I guess you could have a nice external bookstack page or also link to a markdown file within the repo. Same for the issue tracker.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby fluffrabbit » 25 Jun 2019, 19:13

Regarding the wiki... in gitea you can link to any external source with the wiki tab. So I guess you could have a nice external bookstack page or also link to a markdown file within the repo. Same for the issue tracker.

I didn't know Gitea could do that. Way past cool.

Yeah, I'm waiting for integration as well. Mattermost is alright. I've refrained from using the various FGD social apps because I used Diaspora in the past and mostly just encountered pizza-faced neckbeards, and not even the kind that can program, just the idiot know-nothing graphic designers and hipsters from Brazil. But I digress.
fluffrabbit

Postby Ntech » 25 Jun 2019, 19:26

Myself, I use GitHub, and it's fine for all my needs.

If you did start your own Git repository, it you could (to allow unlimited space to each and every user) use a FGD GitHub repo to host all repositories -- in other words, store all repositories in a subfolder of a master FGD repository hosted on GitHub. I don't know if it's legal, but it's worth looking into.
Deo gratias, Ave Maria
Ntech

Postby fluffrabbit » 25 Jun 2019, 20:14

If you did start your own Git repository, it you could (to allow unlimited space to each and every user) use a FGD GitHub repo to host all repositories -- in other words, store all repositories in a subfolder of a master FGD repository hosted on GitHub. I don't know if it's legal, but it's worth looking into.

Interesting idea, but that one repo could get pretty big. Also, does Git support that kind of hierarchy? You would be interleaving Git commands from different projects. I don't know enough about Git to know if this is possible.
fluffrabbit

Postby Lyberta » 26 Jun 2019, 06:32

Deleted.
Last edited by Lyberta on 01 Oct 2021, 03:49, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberta

Postby fluffrabbit » 26 Jun 2019, 10:15

Lyberta {l Wrote}:
Ntech {l Wrote}:Myself, I use GitHub, and it's fine for all my needs.

Please let GitHub die. GitHub is cancer.

I mean somebody had to say it, right?

People have said it before, and then they switched to GitLab because it was the low-hanging fruit. Websites come and go. Some of them are more long-lived than others.
fluffrabbit

Postby Ntech » 26 Jun 2019, 18:44

I don't know why anyone would dislike GitHub, it's free and does what I need it to do.
Deo gratias, Ave Maria
Ntech

Postby dulsi » 26 Jun 2019, 19:32

We don't need another argument about github. Lyberta and others disagree with policies of github or features of git. Search the history of their posts for more information.
dulsi

Postby Ntech » 26 Jun 2019, 19:56

dulsi {l Wrote}:We don't need another argument about github. Lyberta and others disagree with policies of github or features of git. Search the history of their posts for more information.

I understand, thanks for pointing that out. I just did a quick search, and I found out about GNU Savannah (which I've never heard of before) and it looks really promising. I'd love to support the opensource community, and I'll transition to that for my repositories.
Deo gratias, Ave Maria
Ntech

Postby Julius » 16 Jul 2019, 20:59

sorrry for the service disruption of the git repo and the mattermost chat today... slight hickup due to the hoster upgrading the KVMs.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 28 Jul 2019, 20:16

While I still need to do a few improvements to the system, it is working great. So if anyone wants to mirror their github or gitlab repositories or create a new one, it is all ready to go. https://git.freegamedev.net
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 03 Aug 2019, 13:43

Updated to Gitea 1.9.0 1.9.1, detailed changelog here: https://blog.gitea.io/2019/07/gitea-1.9.0-is-released/
Migrating from Github is now even better :)
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 19 Sep 2019, 22:41

Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 27 Sep 2019, 19:51

Sorry for the short outage in the Gitea yesterday... I am moving jobs and didn't have time to fix it. Up again now.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 06 Nov 2019, 22:13

So Gitea has been running well so far, no major complaints in regards to functionality and upgrading etc.

However it turned out to be not quite as low on server resources as I initially thought. Even though our instance is mostly idle, it quadruples it's memory use over a time span of a few days (to usually about 400MB RAM and 600MB cache) and also spikes on CPU use from time to time. I suspect it has to do with the mirroring of repositories, but it is not so clear.
Edit: I talked to another server admin running Gitea and they see no such behaviour. So maybe I'll find a way to fine tune it. But right now I have no idea what might cause it.

So given that the server it runs on doesn't have much surplus RAM I am eying this with some concern. I guess after the planned shut down of the Mattermost chat (replaced by better IRC/XMPP) it would again have some RAM headroom, so it is not an immediate concern... I'll probably re-evaluate the situation in January when I have to migrate some other non-FGD services to this server.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby GunChleoc » 03 Dec 2019, 10:12

For those projects who are too big for FDG to handle, Framasoft can be an alternative. They are running a GitLab and their mission is free culture and software.
GunChleoc

Postby Julius » 03 Dec 2019, 14:29

They are actually reducing services, although their Gitlab instance is likely to stay longer: https://framablog.org/2019/09/26/lets-d ... -internet/
An interesting new FOSS alternative seems to be https://sourcehut.org/ (works even without Javascript)
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby mdtrooper » 03 Dec 2019, 14:46

The people of framasoft (wikipedia) is pure love, because they are a NGO and they promote floss things.

And "work together" is good choice, framasoft and FGD.
And I have a Patreon in https://www.patreon.com/migueldedios.
mdtrooper

Postby Egberto » 03 Dec 2019, 17:36

Julius {l Wrote}:They are actually reducing services, although their Gitlab instance is likely to stay longer: https://framablog.org/2019/09/26/lets-d ... -internet/
An interesting new FOSS alternative seems to be https://sourcehut.org/ (works even without Javascript)

Oh, that's something to be taken account of.

Thanks for the info.
Egberto

Postby Julius » 07 Jan 2020, 19:38

Registrations on Gitea disabled for now. I'll let it run for a while longer and see if they manage to fix the memory issues on the Docker image somehow, but probably better to not let new people register if there is a good chance that it will be disabled soon.

Sorry for those that started using it. Please let me know if/when you have migrated everything.
Julius
Community Moderator