Typing Games

Typing Games

Postby dulsi » 04 Jun 2019, 16:04

Does anyone have a good recommendation for open source typing games? My kids enjoy a typing game called Nitro Type. It is an online free game. I still haven't found a good open source typing game for Linux. The game needs to hide the teaching in an interesting interface. Recently I saw the demo of Backspace Bouken. It's closed source but I figured I'd try it with the kids.
dulsi

Re: Typing Games

Postby GunChleoc » 04 Jun 2019, 16:25

You could try GCompris, which has various typing and comprehension games in it.

https://gcompris.net/
GunChleoc

Postby dulsi » 04 Jun 2019, 16:36

I've tried old versions of gcompris. They aren't compelling games. Nitro Type allows you to acquire cars by doing certain actions and by earning in game money. Backspace Bouken has a story that may be compelling although I haven't played enough to say for certain. GCompris's typing games don't have features to keep the player coming back.
dulsi

Postby fluffrabbit » 04 Jun 2019, 17:37

I was taught typing on a typewriter, but I really refined my skills playing RuneScape in high school. MMORPGs with a text chat system like that are a great way to learn how to type, as you have to respond quickly to what people are saying. An open source one that I've been eyeing for a while is Ryzom. Don't know why that one isn't in distros.

It's just not as satisfying to use a keyboard once you get into programming and have to type all kinds of weird symbols far from the home row with club-like hands. It's not good ergonomically or psychologically, but I digress.
fluffrabbit

Postby Ntech » 04 Jun 2019, 20:13

Hey, on my qualification, I got 104Wpm!!! :)
Deo gratias, Ave Maria
Ntech

Typing Games on Github

Postby Ntech » 04 Jun 2019, 22:03

Typing Games on Github

And finally, the bottom line:
Deo gratias, Ave Maria
Ntech

Postby fluffrabbit » 04 Jun 2019, 22:41

I tried Swiftcode, the typing game for me! C/C++ mode. 24 wpm. "Well done!" it says...

Also that is way too many dependencies for a Node.js app. Lazy asses.
fluffrabbit

Postby dulsi » 04 Jun 2019, 22:46

Thanks for the reply Ntech but none of them really meet what I'm looking for. The closest is LavaTyper but it doesn't have a compelling reason to keep playing. My kids love to get the new cars in Nitro Type. LavaTyper is missing that sort of achievement. Pronto-Racing could be a start to build a Nitro Type like game but it would need a lot of work. (Although I did have a good laugh when I copy and pasted the text in. The words per minute was amazing.)
dulsi

Postby onpon4 » 07 Jun 2019, 00:44

I'm massively confused... is no one going to bring up Tux Typing? (o_O)

I mean, it's how I learned to touch-type, and my younger brother too. And it's super fun.

There's even a math variant too, Tux Math.
onpon4

Postby dulsi » 07 Jun 2019, 18:05

Tux Typing doesn't have anything to keep you coming back like the new cars of Nitro Type. It's not bad but it's not what I'm looking for.

There is a bit of problem with git. Where is the authoritative Tux Type? The web site is gone. Debian has two repositories. Github has one with some forks. I probably won't have the time to play around with it but if I did I don't know where to start.
dulsi

Postby fluffrabbit » 07 Jun 2019, 19:53

1. sudo apt install tuxtype
2. enjoy mad MIDI beats
3. ???
4. PROFIT
fluffrabbit

Postby XGenGamer » 12 Jun 2019, 10:18

TypeRacer - the global typing competition - Like NitroType, but with less fancy accessories. An older and faster community. Also dependent on accuracy. It won’t let you type the next word until you backspace and correct the word.
TypeShoot - Flash game - A game where you have switch between sending your own attacks (in the form of arrow missiles) by typing words and defending your base by typing the words that your opponent has sent. When your base’s life goes to 0, you lose. There’s a system that helps you from being overpowered by faster players. It is in Japanese, though, but if you want to play, I can help you navigate through the game. It is quiet at times, so you won’t find many other people playing, but you can play against Computer. I find it amusing with the strategy and the combos.
XGenGamer

Postby dulsi » 14 Jun 2019, 03:17

If it is a flash game, it is unlikely to be open source. TypeRacer is also closed source.

However, I did find a typeracer clone and another typeracer type game. Neither have the collectable feature I'm looking for. The first has images that are violating copyright. But either could serve as the basis for a game.
dulsi