Hubzilla / Fediverse social.freegamedev.net beginner topic

Hubzilla / Fediverse social.freegamedev.net beginner topic

Postby dulsi » 13 Feb 2019, 14:27

Split from here https://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7660

After much debate I've joined the https://social.freegamedev.net. After the talk about building communities I attended, I was thinking about joining twitter. Since I prefer free software, I decided this would be a better choice. Of course it means I won't get exposure like on twitter perhaps but if I can help an alternative to twitter expand that would be good.
dulsi

Re: What direction should FreeGameDev.net take?

Postby Julius » 13 Feb 2019, 16:54

I actually use a small trick to follow Twitter accounts on Hubzilla, similar to how the new Planets work. You can follow RSS/Atom feeds on Hubzilla by adding them as a connection (but I need to check if I have disabled or limited that for the default user level). Then I have this nice tool to fetch various services that don't provide Atom feeds: https://rssbridge.freegamedev.net/
Note however that replying or @ mentioning will not propagate back to Twitter as this is a one-way bridge.

There are probably other ways to do this better, but I don't use Twitter that much to research it further.

Oh and please don't overload my server with abusing the tool linked above ;) You can also easily host it yourself: https://github.com/RSS-Bridge/rss-bridge
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Lyberta » 13 Feb 2019, 19:37

Deleted.
Last edited by Lyberta on 01 Oct 2021, 03:50, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberta

Postby dulsi » 13 Feb 2019, 19:55

Julius {l Wrote}:I actually use a small trick to follow Twitter accounts on Hubzilla, similar to how the new Planets work...

I don't want to follow people on twitter so don't worry about that.

When a person requests a connection what does that do? They automatically get you on their network feed? If you add them, they get on your network feed. If you ignore them, they still have your feed on their network? If you say no, do they still have your feed on their network?
dulsi

Re: Hubzilla / Fediverse social.freegamedev.net beginner dis

Postby Julius » 14 Feb 2019, 03:39

As a start I should probably link the very extensive Hubzilla help document, because you know RTFM ;)
https://social.freegamedev.net/help/

I am not 100% sure about how this works across the ActivityPub bridge, but you can create privacy groups or restricted posts and those should only be visible to authorized conections. I don't think you can prevent someone from viewing public posts but I think commenting is restricted then. There are also within the Zot/Hubzilla network quite some additional permission settings like allowing others to edit your wiki etc.
Julius
Community Moderator

Re: Hubzilla / Fediverse social.freegamedev.net beginner top

Postby Julius » 14 Feb 2019, 07:42

Oh and don't miss the cool Hubzilla Android app: https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.dfa ... a_android/
(Twidere and AndStatus also works)
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby dulsi » 14 Feb 2019, 14:57

Social - Federation is setup so anyone can write comments to it and view it. If I say no to a connection, the other person will see my posts but I don't see his. He can still comment. If I go to his channel, it shows that there is a one way connection. If I say ignore, the other person thinks they are connected but can't write comments and I don't see his posts. I don't know if an ignored person can still write comments if it is Social - Federation since that is public. I should probably just create a second channel and play around with it.

Edit: I guess I can't easily test as we are restricted to one channel. Not a big deal.
dulsi

Postby Julius » 14 Feb 2019, 17:58

Hmm, yeah I really need to make the settings for user-levels a bit more fine grained. So far I didn't think regular users would have much use for multiple channels.

I need to move the Hubzilla instance to a new server this month (no worries, it will work the same, only a backend change) and afterwards I wanted to look into these things.

Edit: sadly a lot of the advanced privacy features of Hubzilla don't translate well to the world of Mastodon. This is planned to improve a bit with the back-porting of the new Zot6 protocol (upcoming Hubzilla 4.0 Edit: there seems to be some change in focus upstream, not sure what this will mean for Hubzilla, but Zot6 seems to be moving to less compatibility with other networks now :( ) but for now it is mostly just a one-way block-list when interacting with ActivityPub users.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 23 Feb 2019, 12:46

Social.freegamedev.net is now moved to new server. Edit: you might experience some DNS caching related issues in the next 24h :(
@dulsi
I increased the allowed number of channels to 2 in case you still want to test it.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Egberto » 23 Feb 2019, 18:25

Julius {l Wrote}:Social.freegamedev.net is now moved to new server. Edit: you might experience some DNS caching related issues in the next 24h :(

So that's the reason for an "insecure connection" message and blocking in Firefox?
Egberto

Postby Julius » 23 Feb 2019, 18:55

Yeah, most likely. I had to disable the old site to prevent messages to register as delivered there. So if your internet provider's DNS cache is still pointing to the old IP than you seem get this.

For me it works already fine on a mobile connection, but my home network provider apparently is using a much less updated DNS cache. I hope this issue will solve itself in a few hours, or alternatively you could try manually changing the DNS server for your connection temporarily.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Egberto » 23 Feb 2019, 20:54

Julius {l Wrote}:Yeah, most likely. I had to disable the old site to prevent messages to register as delivered there. So if your internet provider's DNS cache is still pointing to the old IP than you seem get this.

All right, thanks :)
Egberto

Postby Julius » 24 Feb 2019, 15:19

At least over here all is fine again now, besides some minor issues with old posts and notifications popping up again (which I believe is due to the increased retention policy, but not 100% sure).

@Egberto: you can confirm things working again?
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby dulsi » 24 Feb 2019, 20:37

I had the same problem but it is working now.
dulsi

Postby Egberto » 25 Feb 2019, 17:14

Julius {l Wrote}:At least over here all is fine again now, besides some minor issues with old posts and notifications popping up again (which I believe is due to the increased retention policy, but not 100% sure).

@Egberto: you can confirm things working again?

Yes, is working now (since last night) ... I feel that It took quite a bit of time. :)
Egberto

Postby Julius » 25 Feb 2019, 18:28

Say thanks to your slow ISP then :p

But no worries, that was probably the last time I will move the Hubzilla server in the next couple of years. This one isn't super fast either, but has a really good price/value and plenty of SSD storage space, so I am quite satisfied.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Egberto » 25 Feb 2019, 19:02

Julius {l Wrote}:Say thanks to your slow ISP then :p

Yeah, I know that my ISP isn't very good. :oops:

Julius {l Wrote}:But no worries, that was probably the last time I will move the Hubzilla server in the next couple of years. This one isn't super fast either, but has a really good price/value and plenty of SSD storage space, so I am quite satisfied.

That's good, and thanks again for the effort :)
Egberto

Postby Julius » 02 Mar 2019, 11:17

https://howto.disroot.org/en/social/dishub

Very nice manual for Hubzilla from the Disroot project. They use a slightly different theme and some other settings, but most of it should be similar.

Also: the next release of the Fedilab (formerly Mastolab) mobile app should support Hubzilla: https://fedilab.app/
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby dulsi » 13 Mar 2019, 16:20

Is something wrong with federation? Algot has several posts on mastodon but none have been in my stream.
dulsi

Postby Julius » 13 Mar 2019, 17:22

Hubzilla's ActivityPub implementation is a bit spotty I think. Try disabling and re-enabling the ActivityPub app, but it might take a short while to take effect (around 1 h max if cron related). I'll try to investigate further.

Edit: after disabling everything and re-enabling it works for me again. I hope the same is the case for you. Sorry for any issues caused.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby dulsi » 14 Mar 2019, 13:41

Removing it and adding it back in worked. Thanks.
dulsi

Postby Julius » 19 Mar 2019, 18:02

I split off the discussion on achivement system to here: https://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11501
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby dulsi » 23 May 2019, 00:19

I finally got around to creating a new channel and testing ignore and delete. Ignore does not tell the other person and doesn't remove their connection to you. To my surprise delete also doesn't remove someone's connection to you. So if someone add you and you don't want to add them, you delete them. If someone is annoying and you don't even want to see their replies you ignore them (or at least I assume it does that as I haven't tested).
dulsi

Postby Julius » 29 May 2019, 00:17

Sorry for the current DNS issues with Hubzilla. hopefully all resolved.

Also in case your have been using the XMPP client... logins currently disabled as I am moving the account bridge off Hubzilla and onto Mattermost. should work now with the Mattermost accounts.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 19 Jun 2019, 19:29

Cool firefox addon to share links on Hubzilla and other fediverse pages:
https://gitlab.com/mickie1/share-freedom-addon
Julius
Community Moderator