Github introduced open source sponsorship

Github introduced open source sponsorship

Postby Julius » 23 May 2019, 14:01

https://github.blog/2019-05-23-announci ... en-source/

Seems like a nice alternative to Patreon for those that develop open source projects and are willing to use a service like that.
Julius
Community Moderator

Re: Github introduced open source sponsorship

Postby dulsi » 23 May 2019, 18:44

Interesting but I'm not sure about it. It doesn't disclose what the fees will be. It just says they will cover them for the first year. It says they will match $5000 for the first year. Why wouldn't you just donate $5000 to yourself if you could? (Or if they catch that and prevent it, cooperate with another project to donate to each other.) You have to apply to join. Will they approve everyone before the first year? Or will big projects benefit from the matching and covering of fees but not all projects?
dulsi

Postby Julius » 23 May 2019, 20:37

https://blog.freedombone.net/the-changi ... ct-hosting

There are definilty some open questions, but I can't see right now much reason why this would be worse that Patreon or PayPal donations. Obviously there could be a better solution, but given the difficulties Liberapay has, I doubt we will see it soon.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby fluffrabbit » 23 May 2019, 23:16

Well, Hatreon is in a coma, a lot of people take crypto (which in some cases I think can handle recurring donations) and there are of course these sites like Liberapay which you don't like for some reason. I have not had the occasion to give or receive monthly donations related to software, but it seems like there are a handful of platforms for those are inclined. Just not my cup of tea.
fluffrabbit

Postby Julius » 24 May 2019, 00:46

I like liberapay, but they had massive issues with their previous financial backend provider, and are now only a shadow of their original potential.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby fluffrabbit » 24 May 2019, 01:01

I envision a future of financial crypto-anarchy with no middle men, where digital and physical goods can be purchased using privacy-preserving cryptocurrency protocols alone. Obviously donations would also be possible in my vision, and may already be possible with current cryptocurrencies on a recurring basis without Liberapay, etc.
fluffrabbit

Postby Lyberta » 24 May 2019, 06:50

Deleted.
Last edited by Lyberta on 01 Oct 2021, 03:16, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberta

Postby fluffrabbit » 24 May 2019, 09:12

I won't argue with you about open source malware. I got some from GitHub in the past. There were a lot of complicated build steps that involved downloading mysterious "dependencies", which is one reason I don't like package managers.

With regards to first and last names, Git allows changing history. GitHub lacks a high-level interface that would go through and change names for Git commits across different repositories. I don't know how much work a feature like that would require, but it could probably be done with a script and added to Gitea/Gogs/etc.

I have never used Tor email, but I would assume that it would be user@domain.onion. I believe Git checks for the presence of the @ symbol in the email field, but beyond that AFAIK GitHub doesn't filter email addresses in commits. I have put just the @ symbol in the past and it works fine. If GitHub doesn't allow a Tor email address linked to an account (for contribution tracking that goes beyond raw Git), that's probably a case of their email server lacking an onion router, and they could add that if enough people requested it.

In summary, GitHub is just the lowest common denominator Git host that barely adds anything on top of Git. Git itself doesn't do a whole lot. Now that MS owns GitHub they're not going to put in any more work than they have to (unless it involves money, like with project sponsorship, in which case MS gets a boner).
fluffrabbit

Postby onpon4 » 24 May 2019, 14:05

GitHub doesn't require you to use your real name for commits. That's all configured in Git.
onpon4

Postby GunChleoc » 24 May 2019, 17:51

Lyberta {l Wrote}:Also, as far as I know, GitHub uses names in Git commits to track contributions which is sexist and transphobic and Git developers themselves are "demographically challenged". If you respect your privacy and don't want your last name from that horrible marriage or your pre-transition name being recorded, please don't put anything meaningful into Git name.

Thanks for the video. I never use my real name online and I regularly run into people who don't understand why, because I have nothing to hide.
GunChleoc

Postby onpon4 » 24 May 2019, 19:03

I'd like to elaborate on GitHub and names.

There are two ways your name gets recorded on GitHub: in your GitHub profile, and on Git commits. These are defined separately; your profile name is set (and can be adjusted at any time) via GitHub's settings, and the name recorded on your Git commits is set on your own machine, via "git config" (e.g. any time I set up a new machine for Git use, I run `git config --global user.name "Julie Marchant"`). GitHub has no rules whatsoever for what these can be. They can be aliases, initials, utter nonsense, or anything else that works for you. The only thing you probably wouldn't be able to use is something that infringes a trademark.

As for tracking contributions, that's what Git is supposed to do. It allows you to find out when a bug started happening, revert to previous versions, undo previous changes, etc. It's half the point of using a revision control system.
onpon4

Postby Lyberta » 24 May 2019, 20:21

Deleted.
Last edited by Lyberta on 01 Oct 2021, 03:17, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberta

Postby fluffrabbit » 24 May 2019, 23:24

Lyberta {l Wrote}:When I used non-existent email, GitHub thought that it was not me who contributed. It seems it only links Git commits to GitHub profile if e-mail is the same.

Same here. The email address in your git commits had to match your profile so GH can locate your account. If GitHub only allows certain email addresses in your profile, that's where the limitation is. Ideally, Git wouldn't have an email field as there are other lines of communication, but that is just how Git is set up for now.
fluffrabbit

Postby Wuzzy » 27 May 2019, 11:39

It's all about money.

GitHub {l Wrote}:To supercharge community funding, GitHub created the GitHub Sponsors Matching Fund, which matches up to $5000 per sponsored developer in their first year of sponsorship. In the first year, GitHub will not charge any fees, so 100% of sponsorships will go to the sponsored developer. In the future, we may charge a nominal processing fee.

(Source: https://help.github.com/en/articles/about-github-sponsors)

“may”. Hahaha! Don't get fooled.
Wuzzy

Postby Julius » 27 May 2019, 12:42

You mean compared to similar services that charge already now?
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Lyberta » 27 May 2019, 13:23

Reminds of the memetic phrase "monetize free to play".
Lyberta

Postby fluffrabbit » 27 May 2019, 16:22

Lyberta {l Wrote}:Reminds of the memetic phrase "monetize free to play".

One of my life-long dreams.
fluffrabbit