Suggestion: Installing addon tracks while on a server

Suggestion: Installing addon tracks while on a server

Postby Topf01 » 12 May 2019, 22:36

I have recently written this suggestion in a comment on the blog, but that comment has either been eaten by the void or is still caught up in moderation after 9 days. Anyway. I'm not the first to notice that playing addons online can be hard to pull off, simply because people don't have them. I have an idea how this might be handled at least where tracks are concerned, but I can't tell if it would be possible or even wanted by the developers.

What I'm suggesting is that when you're playing on servers with preinstalled addons and entering the track selection you would there find all tracks installed on the server, regardless of installations on player systems. Those tracks that are not installed by everyone would appear alongside the others, just slightly faded. They would be overlayed by two numbers in green and red, indicating how many people on the server have installed any given track. The one number that includes you, the local player, would be encircled in the same colour.

If you select such a track it would be promoted into the voting like any other, but featuring the same numbers on the preview image there. Things would get interesting of course if such a track actually won the vote. Players who have not installed it yet would then be given five seconds to decide for or against installing it right now, with the latter automatically being selected if no choice is made. Players who have installed the track already would have to wait firstly for these five seconds to pass and secondly for any resulting installations to complete or fail. After that, the track could finally be played.
Topf01

Re: Suggestion: Installing addon tracks while on a server

Postby Julius » 13 May 2019, 17:07

Normally you need to post in the introductions thread. Sorry for the delay in approving your account.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby sinisa3games » 13 May 2019, 18:26

having the image faded isnt the best idea since stk would need to download those images so maybe just the tracks name with something indicating its an addon track
'Ello
sinisa3games

Postby benau » 13 May 2019, 18:53

Don't you find it overcomplicated for something that is not officially supported in the first place?
benau
STK Moderator

Postby eltomito » 13 May 2019, 21:02

Check out this thread about the same thing: https://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic ... 17&t=11626
eltomito

Postby Topf01 » 13 May 2019, 22:30

I did read that and it is the main reason I mentioned not being the first to identify the problem, but since my "solution" is a very different approach, I felt I would be hijacking your thread by posting my idea in it.

I realize my suggestion is complicated and I can't pretend to understand the challenges any implementation would have. Since this has been on my mind however, I wanted to get my thoughts out in the hope that any bit of them might end up being helpful.

Thank you for the account approval, Julius. I don't mind the short wait and I apologize for not sticking to the preferred path. I did read that as more of a suggestion than an instruction and I don't enjoy talking about myself too much.
Topf01