Is it possible to have n-1 AI players in online servers?

Is it possible to have n-1 AI players in online servers?

Postby tempAnon093 » 29 Apr 2019, 02:10

Disclaimer: I have not yet hosted a server and do not know how AI players impact a server's performance.

I recall one of the servers having one bot player in it, which was nice because it let you have something to race against while waiting for other players to join.
Would it be possible for a server to have (for example) when 1 person joins then have 3 bots, when 2 people join have 2 bots, when 3 join have 1 bot, then when 4 join, no bots?
A downside of this would be the apparent false advertisement of the lobby having 3 or 4 players when there are none, but that could be signaled manually in the lobby name by adding a "[BOTS]" tag or something.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Re: Is it possible to have n-1 AI players in online servers?

Postby Alayan » 29 Apr 2019, 02:41

The networked AI is very weak compared to the normal AI, because it sends and receives data like a real player client would. It crashes a lot.

It was mostly created to allow some testing of networking code without having to get multiple real players.

There is no real intention to release a strong AI for networking. One reason for that is I'd prefer not make it easy for cheaters to have a bot play for them, another is that we simply have many other things to do.

My point is, racing against very weak AI bots isn't really better than having no bots at all.
Alayan
STK Moderator

Postby annopnod » 30 Apr 2019, 03:54

i think possible.
cpu runs faster.
ram Cheaper price.
ssd fastest speed.
high performance computer in low price.
annopnod

Postby benau » 15 Oct 2019, 20:46

The same thing tempanon mentioned is now testing in HK server #3

(ai is weak btw)
benau
STK Moderator