Icy Cave track idea

Icy Cave track idea

Postby downer » 26 Mar 2010, 15:37

I'm looking for feedback to get it to better fit SuperTuxKart, even though for now its just a little project and at most it would be an add-on track after a lot of work. Would the origami shapes http://supertuxkart.sourceforge.net/Track_design help this map, and does anyone have any plans to use them instead? I know a lot of features in this map are broken and need work.

Attachments
icycave_test29.zip
Icy Cave test map
(2.14 MiB) Downloaded 700 times
"...curiosity saved the mouse." -Deceth
downer

Re: Icy Cave track idea

Postby Auria » 26 Mar 2010, 18:07

Hi,

not a bad idea, very confusing though :) is this meant to be a battle arena? or maybe the drivelines are just very incomplete? there seems to be a lot of ways
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby downer » 26 Mar 2010, 21:56

Yes, I need to clear up where the roads cross near the top, and lots of other work too! :) I plan on making the road curve smoother around inside the cave tunnels to help make it clearer where to go. Its meant to be a three minute lap with some shortcuts. The drivelines are probably not going to help tell you where to go in a minimap since they would overlap too much, and would just be there for AI. The drivelines are missing because they have to be so close to the road and I want to work on it a lot more! :)

Any creative advice before I go too far in any direction?

You can check out my updates at http://thomasbelvin.50webs.biz/icycave.html
downer

Postby downer » 21 Dec 2010, 04:08

Ok, I updated the track so there is only one way, other than a couple of shortcuts. I also added a working driveline, and updated the music. I was too busy to work on it for about 7 months, that's why the big delay between updates. I know it still needs lots of work, but I would still like to get some feedback. It doesn't really fit in with other STK tracks, so it will likely be an add-on track. It will show up in the Beta tracks tab. (For some reason my website hasn't updated yet, so I uploaded the file here.)
Attachments
icycave_test31.zip
icycave_test31
(7.23 MiB) Downloaded 512 times
downer

Postby rudy85 » 21 Dec 2010, 12:40

Very good Idea , shorcuts are fines , textures are great. ;)

My opinion is road must be a little larger , track is too much long ( 3mins /by lap )

You can add some holes ( nests cavities ) to place Decorations (Sets)
ex : prehistoric-men , fire ...
You can let enough height ( I'm interrested to help you making falling stalactites )

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In any case tell us about license of this track :pd: :by: :zero:
STK 3D animation
My work is under the licence you want
rudy85

Postby downer » 21 Dec 2010, 14:28

rudy85 {l Wrote}:Very good Idea , shorcuts are fines , textures are great. ;)

My opinion is road must be a little larger , track is too much long ( 3mins /by lap )

You can add some holes ( nests cavities ) to place Decorations (Sets)
ex : prehistoric-men , fire ...
You can let enough height ( I'm interrested to help you making falling stalactites )

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In any case tell us about license of this track :pd: :by: :zero:

Thanks for all the feedback!

I like the textures too, but I know I need to mix them up, since they form a repeating pattern. I would really like to add semi-transparent textures.

Track is long, but I'm hoping to add more scenery so that the bottom won't be so boring. I'm hoping that if the track gets interesting enough, no one will care how long it takes. It can be done in two minutes in expert mode, and about 2:45 in novice, which is pretty long compared to the usual 1 minute STK tracks.

Yes I do need to make the road wider, because narrow roads give the AI trouble and it makes the track not fun. I made some parts narrow because the max viewable distance is only 50 to get lower tris, but I can easily shift things around in Blender.

Yes I do plan on adding some more side areas and decorations. I really want to get rid of as many boring hallways as I can.

I really do need to add some height to the track too, because it feels pretty closed in right now and no room for decorations like stalactites. (It will be a while until I get around to adding animated objects, but I could always use your help when I get there!)

The track is licensed under CC-BY-SA 3.0. I did make the first track released under GPL since its more universally understood, but I read that STK prefers CC-BY-SA 3.0 for art work. I really don't care about the licensing honestly, and really just don't want someone to cut and paste my track as their own. I've always released the track source and allowed people to use my track with permission, before I even heard of GPL.
downer

Postby DJHelium » 01 Jan 2011, 22:46

Hey ! I'm back ! :D
Would you like me to do a music for this track ? :)
Listen to my other tracks here : http://djhelium.free.fr :)
DJHelium

Postby DJHelium » 02 Jan 2011, 16:53

I made a music for this track...
You can tell me if you prefer yours or if you want to change something in it ;)

http://djhelium.free.fr/Facebook/DJHeli ... eeling.ogg
DJHelium

Postby STKRudy85 » 05 Jan 2011, 10:12

DJHelium {l Wrote}:Hey ! I'm back ! :D

Cool :)
STK fan
STKRudy85

Postby KroArtem » 05 Jan 2011, 16:57

DJHelium, I like this music :) (though I prefer another kind of music)
KroArtem

Postby Auria » 05 Jan 2011, 20:15

Very nice song :)

I'm not sure if it fits very well with karting, it's more ambient, but nice anyway :D
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby asciimonster » 05 Jan 2011, 20:30

KroArtem {l Wrote}:DJHelium, I like this music :) (though I prefer another kind of music)

Oh, he did it again... That is a nice track. It doesn't needs much more than some spit and polish in my view.

The only comment is that the sounds needs to be balanced a bit more (high-hat and keyboard is somewhat loud in comparison with the rest). Also the repeat at the end is a bit abrupt.
asciimonster

Postby DJHelium » 05 Jan 2011, 22:04

Thank you for your comments !
So, yes, my brothers says that the track doesn't feet well actually...
Auria, can you say why ? :)
Asciimonster, I will see the mixing (we say that in English ? ^^) and the repeat... I know how I can do it ;)
DJHelium

Postby Auria » 06 Jan 2011, 01:29

DJHelium, not sure why :) Your song is beautiful but quite serious; STK is a cartoonish game, so I wonder if your song would sound perhaps too serious (and I don't mean we only want happy-bouncy songs, my feeling is hard to describe ;) maybe you grasp what I'm trying to say)
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby Ludsky » 04 Sep 2011, 12:30

Good start track.... but not bonus for the moment :(
Ludsky

Postby downer » 05 Sep 2011, 17:10

I still work on it occasionally, but it doesn't really fit in with other SuperTuxKart tracks (too long, etc.) and it still needs a lot of work. I use Blender 2.5X, and for a while STK only supported 2.49, so I used a Blender Python demo instead (Blender is tied to my Linux release). I'll make my next test release for STK again instead of just the Blender Python demo, but it could be a few weeks. I'll also probably just drop the music I was trying to rework since it also didn't seem to fit in with STK or the track.
downer

Postby Ludsky » 05 Sep 2011, 18:09

downer {l Wrote}:I still work on it occasionally, but it doesn't really fit in with other SuperTuxKart tracks (too long, etc.) and it still needs a lot of work. I use Blender 2.5X, and for a while STK only supported 2.49, so I used a Blender Python demo instead (Blender is tied to my Linux release). I'll make my next test release for STK again instead of just the Blender Python demo, but it could be a few weeks. I'll also probably just drop the music I was trying to rework since it also didn't seem to fit in with STK or the track.

ok but your track is good. good start ..... and the music is good :)
Ludsky

Postby Ludsky » 09 Oct 2011, 21:35

downer, You still working on your track? It can be really good
Ludsky

Postby downer » 10 Oct 2011, 08:45

Like always, I'm behind working on it. Right now I'm trying to make the map more angular and less organic, which may or may not work out well. I'll post here again once I get a working release.
downer

Postby Ludsky » 10 Oct 2011, 09:29

downer {l Wrote}:Like always, I'm behind working on it. Right now I'm trying to make the map more angular and less organic, which may or may not work out well. I'll post here again once I get a working release.

Sorry to ask, Do you have a screenshot?
Ludsky

Postby downer » 10 Oct 2011, 10:05

This should give you an idea of what I mean by angular, and that it will be a while till its working again! I'm hoping angular works out, since there are plenty of organic caves already out there. (Image attached)
Attachments
snapshot.png
Rough screenshot
downer

Postby Ludsky » 10 Oct 2011, 13:54

downer {l Wrote}:This should give you an idea of what I mean by angular, and that it will be a while till its working again! I'm hoping angular works out, since there are plenty of organic caves already out there. (Image attached)

Thanks You,
I look forward to when you finish your track, it can be really good.
I look forward
Ludsky

Postby Iridium » 10 Oct 2011, 16:13

I make video (If it's possible) :)
-Iridium
Iridium

Postby charlie » 10 Oct 2011, 18:57

Do you have any ice bridges? You could/should do.

What could work really great for a track like this is big chunks of ice falling / rising as each lap passes. (Think like the volcano track on Mario Kart Wii.)

You could have an ice bridge or two where chunks fall off the sides to make it more narrow. On another part of the track you could have glaciers raise up to split the track in 2. On another area you could have giant icicles fall from the ceiling and lodge in the ground as obstacles. If you could pull that off, it would be spectacular.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Ludsky » 11 Oct 2011, 11:00

charlie {l Wrote}:Do you have any ice bridges? You could/should do.

What could work really great for a track like this is big chunks of ice falling / rising as each lap passes. (Think like the volcano track on Mario Kart Wii.)

You could have an ice bridge or two where chunks fall off the sides to make it more narrow. On another part of the track you could have glaciers raise up to split the track in 2. On another area you could have giant icicles fall from the ceiling and lodge in the ground as obstacles. If you could pull that off, it would be spectacular.

I also think it would be really spectacular,

I can not wait to see your track downer ...
Ludsky