0.10-rc1 released

0.10-rc1 released

Postby hiker » 05 Apr 2019, 15:39

The next release of SuperTuxKart is almost ready! The first release candidate is now available for testing. Now is the time to help us test the game to find any last-minutes bugs to fix.

Since the beta-1 release, numerous bugs have been fixed. Obviously, as previously, the biggest feature is that networked multiplayer is now ready for general use, so enjoy multiplayer games over LAN or over the net!

A few tracks have also been added or upgraded. The old mansion track has been replaced with the new upgraded Ravenbridge Mansion track.
__ravenbridge_mansion-2019.04.04_19.59.01.jpg

The Black forest add-on is now also part of the official STK track set! Thanks to Sven Andreas Belting for this great addition.
__black_forest-2019.04.04_19.53.56.jpg

Download the game here : https://sourceforge.net/projects/supert ... /0.10-rc1/
hiker

Re: 0.10-rc1 released

Postby tempAnon093 » 06 Apr 2019, 02:18

Nice! Trying it out now.

My current thoughts: (some may be my own problem, or already raised in stk-code/issues/)
- Will there be a way to import progress from 0.9.3? I am currently editing config to unlock all, but it would be nice if a user does not lose progress when updating.
- The tailgating lines slipstream lines need some polishing. They are very long and when someone tailgates you they take up a lot of the screen. I think they would be much better with some blur and transparency so they are less distracting.
- The when the skidding sparks achieve the yellow glow, I've noticed that for the first frame the angle of the sparks are at an odd upwards angle (see the middle image of each row). It looks glitchy.
- Ravenbridge Mansion: the first time I got stuck in that trench/pit in the middle of the road, I fell onto the grassy edge and had to manually reset. It would be nice if the karts fell down into the reset zone since there is no other way to get out without manually resetting, unless you choose to steer into the pit. Maybe have that grassy part end as you drive forward, forcing you into the pit and respawning.
- The bubblegum flickering before expiring is nice, but then the sudden rapid flicker half a second before ending doesn't look nice to me. Maybe it would look nicer if it faded in and out rapidly? Or maybe if it only did the first lot of flickering without that rapid bit at the end?
- I felt like my kart was heavier, but maybe it's because of the kart attributes working. I just expected my character (add-on) to be lighter haha.

About to try online!
update: online is very fun. I can't wait for more players.
Last edited by tempAnon093 on 06 Apr 2019, 12:55, edited 1 time in total.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby GunChleoc » 06 Apr 2019, 12:15

I noticed these log messages on the console while running STK with an offline account, both in the Story Mode intro and in the Main Menu - is this on purpose?
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
[info   ] HTTPRequest: Downloading http://addons.supertuxkart.net/dl/images/7382768215621832f5da3a.png
[info   ] HTTPRequest: Downloading http://addons.supertuxkart.net/dl/images/127867390359f3bc5fe5401.jpg
[info   ] HTTPRequest: Downloading http://addons.supertuxkart.net/dl/images/16167177735c8af72c4f0ed.jpg
[info   ] HTTPRequest: Downloading http://addons.supertuxkart.net/dl/images/3828350335b8568a49e3ba.jpg
[info   ] HTTPRequest: Downloading http://addons.supertuxkart.net/dl/images/5215895955544ef4360b0e.jpg
[info   ] HTTPRequest: Downloading http://addons.supertuxkart.net/dl/images/52888510857b1b61306ed3.jpg
[info   ] HTTPRequest: Downloading http://addons.supertuxkart.net/dl/images/37471687257f186ff39a5c.jpg
[info   ] HTTPRequest: Downloading http://addons.supertuxkart.net/dl/images/165516576157b1b6f779f61.png

I gave the tutorial a quick spin and it's working fine on my Intel integrated graphics :)
GunChleoc

Postby Diogenes v. S. » 06 Apr 2019, 18:47

Hello, :-)

Well, I did some tests and noticed the following bugs:
Some lane sections in "Bovine Barnyard" slow down the speed. That was not in previous STK versions.
The following maps have textures issues:
- Cross Race (floor textures are missing, or are invisible)
- Doing the Dishes (transparent blocks)
- Easy-Drive (karts driving under the road)
- Lost Speedway and Secret Garden generate a black sky box

- Checklines do not work, or incorrectly, in:
Faster than myself (not work)
Hillside (not work)
In a pit II (ends the race after the start, with the number of laps chosen as completed)
Las Dunas Stadium (start counts already one lap - a second checkline seems to be missing too)
The Parking (checklines do not work and the sky box is completely black)
The Ring of Sand, The Rock, BeBeliOuS Circuit 1 and 2 (checklines do not work)

I sincerely hope that the problems I have found can help to better isolate and correct sources of error. ;-)

Thank you and greeting, D. :-)
The best razor in the universe is Ockham's razor. ;-)
Diogenes v. S.

Postby Auria » 07 Apr 2019, 03:10

Hi,

GunChleoc {l Wrote}:I noticed these log messages on the console while running STK with an offline account, both in the Story Mode intro and in the Main Menu - is this on purpose?

using an offline account does not preclude you from using addons, it merely means you do not plan to play online. There is another checkbox in the options to go totally offline if you would prefer STK to never connect to the internet.
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby Auria » 07 Apr 2019, 03:11

Hi,

Diogenes v. S. {l Wrote}:Hello, :-)

Well, I did some tests and noticed the following bugs:
Some lane sections in "Bovine Barnyard" slow down the speed. That was not in previous STK versions.
The following maps have textures issues:
- Cross Race (floor textures are missing, or are invisible)
- Doing the Dishes (transparent blocks)
- Easy-Drive (karts driving under the road)
- Lost Speedway and Secret Garden generate a black sky box

- Checklines do not work, or incorrectly, in:
Faster than myself (not work)
Hillside (not work)
In a pit II (ends the race after the start, with the number of laps chosen as completed)
Las Dunas Stadium (start counts already one lap - a second checkline seems to be missing too)
The Parking (checklines do not work and the sky box is completely black)
The Ring of Sand, The Rock, BeBeliOuS Circuit 1 and 2 (checklines do not work)

I sincerely hope that the problems I have found can help to better isolate and correct sources of error. ;-)

Thank you and greeting, D. :-)

I believe those are all addons? This is unfortunate, however addons are not officially maintained by us and are the responsability of their respective author. Hopefully, the author of these addons can submit updated versions for the new version
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby Auria » 07 Apr 2019, 03:17

Hi,

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:Nice! Trying it out now.

My current thoughts: (some may be my own problem, or already raised in stk-code/issues/)
- Will there be a way to import progress from 0.9.3? I am currently editing config to unlock all, but it would be nice if a user does not lose progress when updating.

This is currently not planned since the game has changed sufficiently that it's not really possible to do so in a way that makes sense (story mode has seen numerous changes, so a saved state from previous version might not apply well to the new version).

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:- The tailgating lines slipstream lines need some polishing. They are very long and when someone tailgates you they take up a lot of the screen. I think they would be much better with some blur and transparency so they are less distracting.

yeah this is known, though unfortunately we do not have a good solution at this time (given the current graphics engine, too). More work might happen on this at a future time

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:- The when the skidding sparks achieve the yellow glow, I've noticed that for the first frame the angle of the sparks are at an odd upwards angle (see the middle image of each row). It looks glitchy.

Hmm that never bothered me, seems like you need quite sharp eyes to catch that!

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:- Ravenbridge Mansion: the first time I got stuck in that trench/pit in the middle of the road, I fell onto the grassy edge and had to manually reset. It would be nice if the karts fell down into the reset zone since there is no other way to get out without manually resetting, unless you choose to steer into the pit. Maybe have that grassy part end as you drive forward, forcing you into the pit and respawning.

I created a ticket for that : https://github.com/supertuxkart/stk-code/issues/3822

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:- The bubblegum flickering before expiring is nice, but then the sudden rapid flicker half a second before ending doesn't look nice to me. Maybe it would look nicer if it faded in and out rapidly? Or maybe if it only did the first lot of flickering without that rapid bit at the end?

Okay, as far as I know you are the first one to report being bothered by this, we'll keep monitoring the feedback. And for sure there are probably nice looking graphical effects that could be implemented, the advantage of flickering is that it was easily doable with our graphical engine, and works even for people with less powerful GPUs playing without shaders

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:- I felt like my kart was heavier, but maybe it's because of the kart attributes working. I just expected my character (add-on) to be lighter haha.

Indeed kart physics have been tweaked quite a bit, so it's natural to feel a difference!
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby GunChleoc » 07 Apr 2019, 08:55

Auria {l Wrote}:Hi,

GunChleoc {l Wrote}:I noticed these log messages on the console while running STK with an offline account, both in the Story Mode intro and in the Main Menu - is this on purpose?

using an offline account does not preclude you from using addons, it merely means you do not plan to play online. There is another checkbox in the options to go totally offline if you would prefer STK to never connect to the internet.

I did not initiate any addon downloads whatsoever though. So, it would make sense not to keep loading stuff off the server all the time - that would help with performance too. I'd expect some communications for the addons/news ticker on the bottom, but no further communication when that ticker is not being shown (e.g. during the story mode intro).
GunChleoc

Postby tempAnon093 » 07 Apr 2019, 13:30

I should have mentioned earlier: I have a real eye for finding and mentioning the minor details and forgetting to say how much I love all the things that were done wonderfully. As I have mentioned a couple of times on the in-game chat, high latency is handled very well. I could often play races comfortably on 200+ ping!

Auria {l Wrote}:
tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:- The when the skidding sparks achieve the yellow glow, I've noticed that for the first frame the angle of the sparks are at an odd upwards angle (see the middle image of each row). It looks glitchy.

Hmm that never bothered me, seems like you need quite sharp eyes to catch that!

It might be because I was playing on Cocoa Temple on the highest graphics settings with a lower range graphics card, so my frame rate was likely to be relatively low when I saw it. I didn't even notice afterwards when playing online, so I don't think it's an important issue at all (if it even *is* an issue).

Auria {l Wrote}:
tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:- The bubblegum flickering before expiring is nice, but then the sudden rapid flicker half a second before ending doesn't look nice to me. Maybe it would look nicer if it faded in and out rapidly? Or maybe if it only did the first lot of flickering without that rapid bit at the end?

Okay, as far as I know you are the first one to report being bothered by this, we'll keep monitoring the feedback. And for sure there are probably nice looking graphical effects that could be implemented, the advantage of flickering is that it was easily doable with our graphical engine, and works even for people with less powerful GPUs playing without shaders

In hindsight, I think that flicker is fine. Again, I wasn't bothered by this when playing afterwards. I think it was just something new and caught me off guard, so I was concentrating on it.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby Ludsky » 08 Apr 2019, 09:07

Revenbridge Mansion : Juste two problems : When the music is finish, she does not start again

Some Karts have again problem with pumpkins when the roads are separating (Hard & SuperTux mode) (but it's better than before.. I think...)
Ludsky

Postby Auria » 08 Apr 2019, 23:29

GunChleoc {l Wrote}:
Auria {l Wrote}:Hi,

I did not initiate any addon downloads whatsoever though. So, it would make sense not to keep loading stuff off the server all the time - that would help with performance too. I'd expect some communications for the addons/news ticker on the bottom, but no further communication when that ticker is not being shown (e.g. during the story mode intro).

The game is pre-loading addon thumbnails by default, that's what you are seeing
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby GunChleoc » 08 Apr 2019, 23:33

OK, that makes sense then. Thanks for clarifying :)
GunChleoc

Postby tempAnon093 » 17 Apr 2019, 13:04

I would also like to say, the white-like glow when the nitro trail overlaps the yellow drift looks marvellous, especially at night.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby Julius » 20 Apr 2019, 19:30

Posted about the 1.0 release here:
https://freegamer.blogspot.com/2019/04/ ... lease.html

:heart: Nice update :!:
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Lyberta » 22 Apr 2019, 04:17

Wait, is this 1.0 release thread?
Lyberta

Postby tempAnon093 » 22 Apr 2019, 08:29

Lyberta {l Wrote}:Wait, is this 1.0 release thread?

This is the thread created when the release candidate ("-rc1") was made. There is currently no general 1.0 release thread on this forum.

I would like to recommend that a developer create a 1.0 release thread separate to this one.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093