Please make the Snowpeak shortcut legal!

Please make the Snowpeak shortcut legal!

Postby eltomito » 08 Apr 2019, 01:34

Hi! I discovered a very short shortcut in Showpeak in the first testing version of stk 0.10 but it's become illegal in the release candidate rc1! Please, make it legal again!
The shortcut is seen in this video and at the end, you can also see that the lap count opprobriously doesn't increase after it is taken. :(

https://vimeo.com/329006247
eltomito

Re: Please make the Snowpeak shortcut legal!

Postby Alayan » 08 Apr 2019, 10:47

This isn't even really a shortcut.
Alayan
STK Moderator

Postby eltomito » 08 Apr 2019, 10:59

The more reason to keep it legal :)
eltomito

Postby Wuzzy » 08 Apr 2019, 13:14

I am in generally against such shortcuts, they make the game too cheaty and unpredictable. They move the dominant strategy away from the real track, forcing players to always take the shortcut, making the proper track useless in actual gameplay.

It was correct to make this shortcut illegal.
Wuzzy

Postby eltomito » 08 Apr 2019, 15:16

Wuzzy {l Wrote}:I am in generally against such shortcuts, they make the game too cheaty and unpredictable. They move the dominant strategy away from the real track, forcing players to always take the shortcut, making the proper track useless in actual gameplay.

I don't think this is the kid of shortcut you're talking about, because it doesn't save you any time at all.
But it makes the track more open to exploration which I think makes it feel more realistic and more exciting.

It doesn't save you any time, because you can't skid in the long jump, so you miss out on the skid boost you can get when taking the normal path on the ground.
On the other hand, I think you could get an advantage from taking the shortcut if you used it to break away from a pack of karts and prevent them from hitting you with swatters, bowling balls, etc. while you're flying in the air but that's just speculation.

So, I'd like to keep the shortcut because it only provides a very small advantage, if any, but can make the track more fun, because it's cool to fly across that bend. :cool:
eltomito

Postby onpon4 » 08 Apr 2019, 15:45

Er... that doesn't look like a shortcut, and this looks to me like something that should be considered a bug. Suppose someone accidentally does this, and they get suddenly sent to last place, which they're certainly not going to notice.

Actually, that brings up a good point: taking unauthorized shortcuts really needs to do something more visible and less devastating than just causing the game to consider you to be in last place. Something like zapping the kart with a lightning bolt, displaying a message about how you went off the track, and then sending you back to where you were last considered to properly be on the track. Something to that effect. Or at the very least, returning you to the proper point with Thunderbird. Making you have to either manually backtrack (to a point you don't know the exact location of) or lose an entire lap of progress is overly harsh.
onpon4

Postby Alayan » 08 Apr 2019, 21:18

Ideally, we'd like to not have any "accidentally missed checkline" in official tracks with normal play. Adding special rescue is a mitigation measure we'd prefer to avoid.

I opened an issue on the bug tracker referencing this checkline and several others (someone had already reported that specific snow peak jump a while ago) which can be missed by accident.
Alayan
STK Moderator