A general evaluation of STK tracks

Re: A general evaluation of STK tracks

Postby QwertyChouskie » 24 Feb 2019, 02:05

OzoneOne: Listening to the song, there's a constant background noise that reminds me of the slight hiss from cheap audio equipment, though listening *very* carefully with a good pair of headphones (Sony MDR-V900) it actually sounds like a cymbal. Maybe this is intentional to have this, but on most systems it just sounds like background noise, maybe this can be adjusted?
Contributor to/fan of STK (Upstreamed Cartoon theme, numerous random big fixes/tweaks)
QwertyChouskie

Postby Mr.XX99 » 24 Feb 2019, 02:12

@OzoneOne: I just want to let you know that your Ravenbridge music is really great :)
Btw. I like all your music tracks very much. They make the game feel much more polished.
Playing SuperTuxKart on my Windows 10 Laptop, my mobile phone and on my Anroid TV :)
(profile picture from John Tuggle URL: https://www.flickr.com/photos/22565768@N04/4454921691 License: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/ picture was edited by me)
Mr.XX99

Postby 0zone0ne » 24 Feb 2019, 02:19

@QwertyChouskie neither krobonil or I have any plans to further contribute to the project at this time, sorry

@Mr.XX99 thank you, I'm glad you enjoy the music
0zone0ne

Postby cddepppp256 » 02 Mar 2019, 16:46

Unlike many others, I have to say I think I liked the original mansion music better by itself, but I feel like the new music is better for the new track. (Still not the best, though.)
cddepppp256

Postby Gnu889 » 03 Mar 2019, 22:54

Actually,I think the lighthouse track is very easy to be in the last tracks.Lighhouse does not get level to tracks like enterprise , paradiso...
Mayby in lighthouse put some bananas , precipices as well.Still,it has the ambient to be in last tracks...

The shortcut of zen garden is unfair because someone use keyboard(like me and in keyboard you can go to left right)but if you use joistic (like Andet)you can go a little bid right left or a lot to left right...

Black forest (for me) is terrible because it get very slow in online (I have test it the other day)Also the track got a lot of trees ,rocks where you can be hitted by them...
For aviod the lag problems should put the first version of black forest...

I like tracks like Abbs , subsea (add-on),enterprise...
These tracks looks very beautifuls too

In my opinion they have to do a better nitro distribution of northem resot and another track thath I dont remember...
The first who cath the nitro will get a advancment on the track.Also who is behind will be not aviable to cath the nitro until the one in front have the sufficient avantage so thath the nitro reaper...
Gnu889

Postby Diogenes v. S. » 04 Mar 2019, 19:57

Hello dear Supertuxkart friends, :-)
I follow a bit the discussion on the problem of the balance of the general playing conditions. As some STK friends already know, I'm not a speedrunner, but also not a beginner. And to be able to become a speedrunner, I lack the time to practice and the necessary technological equipment. That's why I'd like to let you know how exhausting it is for me to go against speedrunner, especially since games are only fun if chances of winning also exist for normal players.
For this reason, I have considered creating a server specifically for speedrunner, which is accessible only by the existence of a given challenge there - same as one activation in story mode.
Could this option be attractive to all STK fans maybe?

Greeting you...

(and sorry for my little english)
The best razor in the universe is Ockham's razor. ;-)
Diogenes v. S.

Postby eltomito » 21 Mar 2019, 00:21

Gnu889 {l Wrote}:Black forest (for me) is terrible because it get very slow in online (I have test it the other day)Also the track got a lot of trees ,rocks where you can be hitted by them...
For aviod the lag problems should put the first version of black forest...

It's too bad. Black Forest looks really beautiful and I think it's interesting to play, too.

Gnu889 {l Wrote}:I like tracks like Abbs , subsea (add-on),enterprise...
These tracks looks very beautifuls too

I played Subsea the other day and I recalled how impressed I was when I first saw that track. The atmosphere and the imagination were unbelievable. You're under the sea and you see some whales, submarines and stuff and then you're in a cave and then you're on the surface and then you're inside a giant worm! And it still looks just fantastic and the atmosphere is still just unbelievable today. I think it's easily the most impressive track of all STK. The Antedeluvian Abyss has beautiful architecture but it misses that adventurous ambience and the freedom of imagination. And the albatross or whatever that bird is!
eltomito

Postby QwertyChouskie » 21 Mar 2019, 00:31

The performance issue with Black Forest (should be) fixed in the dev version, the next build of STK should do better in this regard.
Contributor to/fan of STK (Upstreamed Cartoon theme, numerous random big fixes/tweaks)
QwertyChouskie

Postby tempAnon093 » 21 Mar 2019, 09:54

QwertyChouskie {l Wrote}:The performance issue with Black Forest (should be) fixed in the dev version, the next build of STK should do better in this regard.

What was the issue? Was it an engine improvement or track change that fixed it?
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby QwertyChouskie » 21 Mar 2019, 21:21

The commit was https://github.com/supertuxkart/stk-code/commit/7fb3aa7570aeee3c04e51841dbedaaaee6ab1fa7. Basically Bullet slows down a lot with too many objects, and networked play is heavy on the physics engine due to rewinding.
QwertyChouskie

Postby Gnu889 » 22 Mar 2019, 08:01

Paradise peaks,green hill,black forest are add-ons not addons...
Gnu889