Audio discussion

Audio discussion

Postby Lyberta » 09 Feb 2019, 00:01

cynicfm {l Wrote}:Okay, well i got your point.
Okay so basically what i am not fan of is how there are libre games but available only on steam.com or gog.com or even sourgeforge.

Totally agree.

cynicfm {l Wrote}:I think if somebody exchanges the game and in the same time he collects data about me (ip, pc specs, location, even browse history) then i don't wanna download it.

Oh, why don't you use uBlock Origin and uMatrix then? It's been a while since I've seen ads.

cynicfm {l Wrote}:This is why i think steam is disgusting. Maybe ok they support linux compared to other corporates like blizzard and others, but they're still generating billions or trillions of dollars revenue like other companies. And i must accept the fact that i play game that comes from multibillionairie corporation that generate so much money while i struggle to get 2000 dollars to build linux pc for my own needs and be able to afford paying bills for electricity. Isn't that bizarre...

The joys of fascistic capitalism system promoted by US. I'm glad the left finally realized it.

cynicfm {l Wrote}:Also i am not fan of digital as i said... Cuz digital nowadays means that it's not 100% free

Not really.

cynicfm {l Wrote}:I don't really even listen to audio files like i used to, not fan of youtube or streaming services, for me the only way of listening to music nowadays is straight from CD or record using some nice stereo system with proper speakers. Then somebody gonna tell me that cds r dead and only audio files matters... sigh...

Eh? I listen to my FLACs using audiophile sound card and professional reference headphones. I don't see a problem here. But inserting CD in a drive would take forever while I can start a file using one one hand with keyboard.

cynicfm {l Wrote}:i recently own 19 pc games that were made in winxp/vista era, and they're great and they're always gonna be there

... until you can't run them anymore because of Windows updates.

cynicfm {l Wrote}:(i have cases/cds/guides) while file is just a file... Im not gonna format my /home folder any soon but well, one click and it's all gone.

Don't you have backups? One time I really wanted to delete a file so it took me about 10 mins to delete it from all of my backups. Deleting files is hard. Crushing CDs with bare hands is easy, I crushed my entire library of proprietary games on CDs and DVDs about 6 years ago (it was like 60 discs, I'm professional CD/DVD bare hand crusher by now).

dulsi {l Wrote}:@cynicfm: Forums don't generally ban people for their opinions.

Try saying that piracy is ok, see how far it gets you.

dulsi {l Wrote}:@Lyberta: I don't know that he was arguing that games should run off the optical media. It could easily be installed to the hard drive. Also many people are still using spinning disks not SSD. I don't think I've ever played a game that needed the transfer rates of SSD,

You will need to copy files from optical media at least once. And I still have laptop with HDD, it's so sloow.
Lyberta

Re: Is the open source community in a slump?

Postby cynicfm » 10 Feb 2019, 00:14

yeah you might have flacs and those fancy headphones and listen to flac but to be honest listening to audio file will always be crap to me :) . I am very convinced that sound of something that comes from spinning cd or record is always better than file.
I even downloaded some vinyl rips few weeks ago and 'great quality audio' sounded like paper compared to the sound i get from cd player.

I don't really enjoy listening to audio files, i guess i stopped in 90s with this and didn't follow the trend of mp3s, flacs, and other stuff.

Oh, why don't you use uBlock Origin and uMatrix then? It's been a while since I've seen ads.

i use gnu icecat browser and still get ads.

But inserting CD in a drive would take forever while I can start a file using one one hand with keyboard.

When im on the computer i always have my cd player with speakers just by me ;). Right now i am writing on laptop and my hi fi component system is just by my leg and i can easily swap the cds, and cds and records is the only way of listening to music for me. I tested many setups i listened to the same music on youtube, mp3's, flacs, record, cd, different headphones, discman, all kinds and perhaps its because sound card in my laptop is crap, but i dont buy convenience of listening to audio files.
I noticed that when i put headphones straight to the sound system i have it gives me better hearing while listening to stuff from smartphones or flacs kill my ears.
This is another arrogant fact about people who listen to audio files, audio files is the best and cds suck. I don't agree with this.
cynicfm

Re: Audio discussion

Postby Julius » 10 Feb 2019, 04:30

I split this off the original thread, please continue the audio discussion here ;)
Julius
Community Moderator

Re: Is the open source community in a slump?

Postby Lyberta » 10 Feb 2019, 14:32

cynicfm {l Wrote}:This is another arrogant fact about people who listen to audio files, audio files is the best and cds suck. I don't agree with this.

Provide any scientific evidence. CD-DA is 16 bit 44100 Hz stereo. FLAC and any other uncompressed or lossless format can that do easily. Everything else is up to the hardware and I don't see why PC hardware is worse by default.
Lyberta

Postby cynicfm » 11 Feb 2019, 17:24

evidence is my ear and what i feel by listening to music straight from cd/record and what from audio file. but truth be told i have never had occasion to listen to audio file from pc with audiophile sound card, however i have some nice pair of headphones.

i noticed that even if i put cd to my laptop with the same music and listen to it straight from cd using alsaplayer what i hear and feel is much different than when i listen to the same music that i compressed into .wav or .flac.
I had chance to download 24-bit vinyl rips and to be fair when i listened to it from my laptop, listening to song straight from cd still gave me better 'chills'.
computer is the tool but definitely not something that you wanna listen to music from in my opinion. well obviously if i had too much money i would order some most expensive sound card right now and some the most expensive stereo audio system i can get and compare both, but obviously, i havent got too much money ;).

It's not something that can be convinced to others, it's something that you have to feel and discover by yourself, and experience it. Throughout years past 5 years i was able to listen to music from many devices in many ways and to be fair, i don't bother with audio files now. It's waste of time. edit: and waste of ears too!! crap quality sound kills my ears!!
Once i had about 40gb of music in .wav format, and guess what, i decided to uninstall windows 10 to install linux = music gone ;).
If i can't get hold of cd/record with the music then i simply don't bother.
cynicfm

Postby Lyberta » 13 Feb 2019, 19:52

That's a load of BS. WAV is not compressed and FLAC is lossless so it contains all the information needed to reconstruct the original data is there. If you're determined, you can rip CD to FLAC and burn an exact copy.

Good sound cards and headphones start from around 200$, good speakers are much more expensive. There are no audiophile laptops so you'd want to buy a USB card to get good sound from laptop.

Regarding 24-bit. Your ears are simply not good enough to hear difference between amplitude that even 16 bits gives you. I can probably find an article that said if you set the speakers to the level where individual values are perceivable you'd be deafened by high values. 24 bit is useful during sound processing because almost all of the operations are lossy so 24 bit gives you more information to lose before the distortion becomes audible.

Oh, this article claims that human ear has 22 bits, but you wouldn't want audio clipping to deafen you so in practice 16 bits is enough. That 44.1 kHz was uncontested in that article though.
Lyberta

Postby cynicfm » 13 Feb 2019, 23:05

yeah scientific blablabla
i like cds and records much more than audio files. is that so hard to understand??
cynicfm

Postby GunChleoc » 14 Feb 2019, 10:38

I like them too because it takes more effort to open them, so it feels more like active listening rather than just consuming something en masse.

And the scientific blabla is completely correct, so audio quality is not your issue here like you stated.

So, I expect that just like me you like them more because litening to CDs/records feels different to you in some way, and that's a completely valid reason. No more reasons needed :)
GunChleoc

Postby cynicfm » 14 Feb 2019, 12:39

oh well..

i listened to music from youtube for many years, mp3, .wav files .flac whatever. i own few pairs of headphones as well and to be fair last year i bought headphones ultrasone pro 750i in some local store in my country (poland but im in england atm). i paid like 80 pounds for them (if i convert the value of polish currency to english pound). in the meantime few yeears ago i had headphones monster i paid 250 pounds for. yeah smartphone music from torrents and these headphones yeah cool. then i bought beats for 200 pounds. i went to wrong shop, cuz it was currys. but that was like 4 years ago.

Last year i had some cash to spend for new pair of headphones so i bought these ultrasone pro 750i. I also own technics stereo system made in spain :). And what i wanna to say is i never have the same expierience with listening to files, i also connected turntable to this technics and listened to records... It's completely different experience ;). I still have a discman and even discman gives me amazing experience compared to audio files. i can hear tone of drums and if the gear they used for mixing/mastering/recording was expensive or not.
Smartphone or laptop can't use the power of these ultrasone, but proper thing connected to power chord that can play cds is like a journey.... and records sound fabulous as well... I own some depeche mode records and i remember when i was listening to one single and i was like: omg this song has so many synths so i went on wikipedia and typed depeche mode and i see: synth pop. Oh now i know why hahah.

So nothing hooked me so much like proper cd-player and these proper nice stereo headphones. Unfortunately headphoens like beats or monster are designed for youtube/smartphone/spotify in mind, which is now for me the worst was of 'listening to music' ever. It's not listening to music it's actually killing your ears and becoming deaf.
cynicfm

Postby Lyberta » 15 Feb 2019, 13:58

So you do admit that you had crap hardware when you was listening to files.
Lyberta

Postby Julius » 15 Feb 2019, 14:21

This discussion has obviously run it's course; closing it now.
Julius
Community Moderator