Should the game start with a Grand Prix already unlocked?

Should the first Grand Prix be unlocked by default?

Yes
57%
No
43%

Total votes : 7

Should the game start with a Grand Prix already unlocked?

Postby tempAnon093 » 02 Feb 2019, 12:23

From memory, STK 0.9.3 starts with a small number of tracks unlocked, which would have to be unlocked through Story Mode. However, none of the Grand Prix sets were unlocked.
I think that every single game type and mode should have at least one option unlocked by default. For example, if someone wanted to download the game onto a friend's computer to demonstrate STK, they may not want to have to go through story mode or the add-on store before jumping straight into a series of races.
Do you think STK should start with at least one Grand Prix already unlocked?

PS. I guess a cheat to unlock all inbuilt levels could be useful for that scenario. I wouldn't be surprised if one already existed as a dev tool.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Re: Should the game start with a Grand Prix already unlocked

Postby Random Paradox » 03 Feb 2019, 01:39

There is a way to do that. I forgot how, but you can unlock all levels immediately. If you want a grand prix immediately, you can use the grand prix editor at the bottom of the main menu to quickly make one.
Completer of the Ling Ling Workout.
Random Paradox

Re: Should the game start with a Grand Prix already unlocked

Postby theTomasPat » 03 Feb 2019, 02:07

There is a value you can change in your config.xml file called "unlock_everything". If you set the value to 1 it will unlock everything except the last race. If you set it to 2 it will unlock everything in the game.

You can find the config file in a couple places, depending on your system.
Win: %APPDATA%/supertuxkart/<version#>/
Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/supertuxkart/<version#>/
Linux: $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/supertuxkart/<version#>/
or ~/.config/supertuxkart/<version#>/

I got those paths from the FAQ page https://supertuxkart.net/FAQ. It looks like it's pretty old so I don't know for sure of those paths are correct but I can vouch for the Mac path.

As for making a Grand Prix unlocked by default, I don't have a say in it. Maybe one of the devs can talk about it!
theTomasPat