The Rejoin Cheat

The Rejoin Cheat

Postby Wuzzy » 12 Jan 2019, 21:13

The STK team added in the recent beta a feature called “live join” in online multiplayer. It means you can join a game while it is still active. As far I know, this only works for non-race games, like battle.

So far, so good.

However, there is a problem if you use it in Free For All:

Whenever you disconnect, then live join (i.e. rejoin) the server, you can:

a) Change your kart mid-game
b) Reset your score to 0

In Free For All, you can abuse this to reset your negative score. Thus you win essentially points for free. I will call this the “Rejoin Cheat”.

Note it is possible for your score to go negative by an enemy attack, too. Example: You have 0 points. If your opponent uses the switch powerup when you're right in front of a gift box, you will drive right into a banana and lose a point. All you have to do is to re-join to regain your lost point (and the hate of all other players :D).

I realize this situation is quite rare, but it's still a problem that should be resolved. Thanks for your attention.
Wuzzy

Re: The Rejoin Cheat

Postby Alayan » 13 Jan 2019, 04:06

I think you have a good point, but how should we go about it ? Remember the player's score and set it back to what it was if he rejoins in the same battle ? Maybe Benau can try it, but it may take a while.
Alayan
STK Moderator

Postby Wuzzy » 13 Jan 2019, 22:32

Remember the player's score and set it back to what it was if he rejoins in the same battle ?

Yes, but only if the score was negative. Otherwise it should drop to 0.

So this is really only meant to defeat this cheat.
Wuzzy

Postby annopnod » 14 Jan 2019, 08:48

compare sha512 track file
annopnod

Postby QwertyChouskie » 15 Jan 2019, 01:49

Track files aren't a problem, as long as the server is trustworthy, it's impossible to cheat this way, as the server is the ultimate source of truth in an online game.
Contributor to/fan of STK (Upstreamed Cartoon theme, numerous random big fixes/tweaks)
QwertyChouskie