SuperTuxKart 0.7 - second release candidate

SuperTuxKart 0.7 - second release candidate

Postby hiker » 15 Dec 2010, 01:29

Hi,

we have just uploaded a second release candidate. Major changes:
  • Asian fonts are now included in the package.
  • Several memory leaks have been fixed (which had caused problems with music and sound effects)
  • Some tracks were improved to disable unintentional shortcuts and incorrect rescues.
  • Some minor bug fixes.
We also updated the translations, but not all translations are complete yet. We encourage all translators to complete their translations, as the strings are now frozen.

Testing and feedback welcome!

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Re: SuperTuxKart 0.7 - second release candidate

Postby ggreenn » 15 Dec 2010, 03:51

Wow, I think this could be 0.7.
ggreenn

Postby acme_pjz » 15 Dec 2010, 06:38

I think there is a minor bug on kart-selection and track-selection widget: the highlighted item is not always follow the mouse cursor, and sometimes when I click one kart, it doesn't select the kart under mouse cursor but select another kart which is highlighted ...
Some of my open source games on GitHub
acme_pjz

Postby hiker » 15 Dec 2010, 10:31

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:I think there is a minor bug on kart-selection and track-selection widget: the highlighted item is not always follow the mouse cursor, and sometimes when I click one kart, it doesn't select the kart under mouse cursor but select another kart which is highlighted ...

I noticed that once or twice, too, and auria is aware of this. I _think_ that this is actually an irrlicht problem - but auria would be able to clarify this.

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby Auria » 15 Dec 2010, 16:58

hiker {l Wrote}:
acme_pjz {l Wrote}:I think there is a minor bug on kart-selection and track-selection widget: the highlighted item is not always follow the mouse cursor, and sometimes when I click one kart, it doesn't select the kart under mouse cursor but select another kart which is highlighted ...

I noticed that once or twice, too, and auria is aware of this. I _think_ that this is actually an irrlicht problem - but auria would be able to clarify this.

Cheers,
Joerg

Yes, this is a very though one :( Sometimes mouse hover events are missed and then it screws up. Not sure what to do about this
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby xapantu » 15 Dec 2010, 18:03

The ppa is updated :)
xapantu

Postby Arthur » 15 Dec 2010, 18:46

Hey, don´t release 0.7 too quickly, mkay? I have to finish my gameplay video, finish my translation and check a couple things. ;)
Unfortunately I´m having trouble with Internet connection at home, so I haven´t had the time to test the latest changes - hopefully I´ll be back to my tortoise-like speed soon. ;)
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby xeno74 » 15 Dec 2010, 19:46

xapantu {l Wrote}:The ppa is updated :)

Thank you :)

I've built a package for FreeBSD and Mac OS X 10.3.9.

Downloads are on SourceForge :)

@Auria: supertuxkart-0.7rc2-univ.dmg: The DMG background is not displayed on Mac OS X 10.4.11.
xeno74

Postby rudy85 » 15 Dec 2010, 20:51

There is a bug with chest animation - Unlocking feature
Don't you know ?
STK 3D animation
My work is under the licence you want
rudy85

Postby rudy85 » 15 Dec 2010, 21:07

Note : characters are turning on heroes selection , but some of them (too long) are cut
Puffy Konqi Mozilla
eg:
Capture-Fenêtre sans nom.png

It isn't a bug, but it's not really cool to see :|
STK 3D animation
rudy85

Postby Auria » 15 Dec 2010, 22:48

Agreed; even though, in the case of mozilla, we should shorten his tail, he can hit other karts with his long tail, this is not very good...
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby downer » 15 Dec 2010, 22:53

Crescent Crossing still has lots of shortcuts that leaves the AI far behind. The slowdown textures aren't enough right now.

I know the GNU character has come a long way, but he still gets jerked almost to a stop at some sharp turns, or stutters at some places that are uphill or have sharp turns.

Driving is very nice and smooth, even with debug enabled and disabled optimizations from the SVN!
"...curiosity saved the mouse." -Deceth
downer

Postby rudy85 » 15 Dec 2010, 23:19

downer {l Wrote}:I know the GNU character has come a long way, but he still gets jerked almost to a stop at some sharp turns, or stutters at some places that are uphill or have sharp turns.

I will take an eye on it , too
STK 3D animation
rudy85

Postby horace » 17 Dec 2010, 18:53

updating the canyon track with my latest version isn't possible anymore i guess? because of challenge tuning/balancing? the zippers are a bit different but otherwise i only polished it a bit visually. corrected the shading and such stuff...

what is the estimated release date of 0.7.1? :)
horace

Postby raven2286 » 17 Dec 2010, 22:29

I don't know if it's just me but I'm having 2 problems since RC1 and now with RC2

-In follow the leader mode if I select 4 or more AI karts the game crashes after giving the scores of the first track. It happens every time, but if I select 3 or less karts the game pass to the next track with no crashes.

-After assigning the controls to the keyboard I've noticed that the "sharp turn" control doesn't work in some parts of the tracks, so to make sharp turns in those parts I have to slow down a lot and only in that moment the control works, as I just said it's just in some parts like for example the sharp turns before the finish line in "crescent crossing" track.

I'm using W7 64bit
raven2286

Postby hiker » 18 Dec 2010, 12:59

horace {l Wrote}:updating the canyon track with my latest version isn't possible anymore i guess? because of challenge tuning/balancing? the zippers are a bit different but otherwise i only polished it a bit visually. corrected the shading and such stuff...

I can't guarantee that we can bring it in. We basically wanted to do the release on Monday, but we had some bug reports which would be a release stopper for now. Have to see how we go, I just don't like replacing things last minute (we did just with the karts, and have problems because of this, too).

what is the estimated release date of 0.7.1? :)

It will certainly not be another year. Depends on how long I need to get the addons manager to work, and how many bugs will be discovered (we might do a bugfix release only version). Think of February for now.

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby hiker » 18 Dec 2010, 13:03

raven2286 {l Wrote}:I don't know if it's just me but I'm having 2 problems since RC1 and now with RC2

-In follow the leader mode if I select 4 or more AI karts the game crashes after giving the scores of the first track. It happens every time, but if I select 3 or less karts the game pass to the next track with no crashes.

Good catch that. Not only does it crash, I also think that the result screens are not correct. Looks like we never tested a Grand Prix with Follow-the-leader.

-After assigning the controls to the keyboard I've noticed that the "sharp turn" control doesn't work in some parts of the tracks, so to make sharp turns in those parts I have to slow down a lot and only in that moment the control works, as I just said it's just in some parts like for example the sharp turns before the finish line in "crescent crossing" track.

Are you using a keyboard? I would suspect that this happens because your keyboard can not distinguish certain combination of keys. Could you try using different keys? The try each combination: acceleration+left, accel+right, then each combination with sharp turning. Does that work?

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby horace » 18 Dec 2010, 13:32

it would be nice if you could update the canyon track. the version that is currently included looks very wrong to me. :)

but february for 0.7.1 would be ok too. i will try to have the updated city track ready by then and i will also try to fix the racetrack.
horace

Postby Auria » 18 Dec 2010, 15:15

horace {l Wrote}:it would be nice if you could update the canyon track. the version that is currently included looks very wrong to me. :)

but february for 0.7.1 would be ok too. i will try to have the updated city track ready by then and i will also try to fix the racetrack.

Maybe we could included a version with corrected lighting and skycube only, without zipper changes? This I would be willing to include since it's only visual changes and not gameplay changes :) Not sure how long it would take to make such a version
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby horace » 18 Dec 2010, 15:32

ok, i don't think making a special version is really worth it. :)

if there is a bug fix release shortly after 0.7, would it be ok to be included there? or won't you touch anything with gameplay changes there either (they are very small though :))?

if 0.7.1 will really be out in about 2 months then leaving in the wrong version is not that bad though...
horace

Postby Quintus » 18 Dec 2010, 17:36

Hi all,

Sadly, the gampad bug I reported against RC1 still persists. However, I noticed a strange behaviour: It's just that single button which makes problems. When I assign acceleration to another key, it works without problems. Furthermore I then assigned braking to the problematic button and it showed the same symptoms as with the acceleration before (tested by driving backwards). I can exclude that it's the gampad's fault--I have a second gamepad of the exact same type and it showed the same behaviour.

Here's the problematic input configuration:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
<gamepad name ="DragonRise Inc.   Generic   USB  Joystick  " enabled="true">

<action name="steerLeft" id="0" event="2" character="0" direction="0" />
    <action name="steerRight" id="0" event="2" character="0" direction="1" />
    <action name="accel" id="2" event="3" character="0" />
    <action name="brake" id="3" event="3" character="0" />
    <action name="nitro" id="7" event="3" character="0" />
    <action name="drift" id="4" event="3" character="0" />
    <action name="rescue" id="0" event="3" character="0" />
    <action name="fire" id="5" event="3" character="0" />
    <action name="lookBack" id="6" event="3" character="0" />
    <action name="menuUp" id="1" event="2" character="0" direction="0" />
    <action name="menuDown" id="1" event="2" character="0" direction="1" />
    <action name="menuLeft" id="0" event="2" character="0" direction="0" />
    <action name="menuRight" id="0" event="2" character="0" direction="1" />
    <action name="menuSelect" id="2" event="3" character="0" />
    <action name="menuCancel" id="3" event="3" character="0" />
</gamepad>

Additionally, while I was driving backwards happily (ever tried to win a race that way?) I noticed that if you pass the bride in the Canyon track, stop, and then drive the bridge backwards, the "pass a wooden underground" sound is gone.

Vale,
Quintus
Quintus

Postby Auria » 19 Dec 2010, 03:12

which is the problematic button in the config you posted?

I'm afraid I'm running out of ideas here :(

you could try running STK from terminal using --gamepad-debug to see if anything useful comes out of there
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby gmolleda » 19 Dec 2010, 10:05

All is ok, but I play with my child (3 years and 8 months) and the IA is too high level. I will would that exist a minor skill (for childs) where the IA is as in the supertuxkart 0.6 old version: the IA karts don't view bridge and fall to deep water, the IA don't use the Nitros (my child dont's know press N, where a 4 years old child could win.

Thanks very much.
gmolleda

Postby hiker » 19 Dec 2010, 11:24

gmolleda {l Wrote}:All is ok, but I play with my child (3 years and 8 months) and the IA is too high level. I will would that exist a minor skill (for childs) where the IA is as in the supertuxkart 0.6 old version: the IA karts don't view bridge and fall to deep water, the IA don't use the Nitros (my child dont's know press N, where a 4 years old child could win.

Have you tried the novice level? It is not supposed to use nitro for AI, and be slower as well (though admittedly some of the challenges need the other levels, too - but you could unlock the challenges for your kid).

Unfortunately I don't understand the 'view bridge' part :( Could you try to rephrase, or perhaps post it in your native language?

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby hiker » 19 Dec 2010, 12:33

Auria {l Wrote}:you could try running STK from terminal using --gamepad-debug to see if anything useful comes out of there

Yes, perhaps that tells us something - record everything till the race starts (redirect output into a file), press and release the 'problematic' button, then send us/post here the (compressed) output.

Thanks!
Joerg
hiker