An observation

An observation

Postby Alzter » 04 Dec 2018, 11:55

It feels like SuperTux was made centered around the snow theme. All the enemies are snow/ice based, instead of being general like Mario so they work in any world. The protagonist is a penguin. The physics are slippery. The logo is snowy. The menu has a rocky snow border. It just feels centered around the snow theme, which is why it's sort of jarring being in a forest world when the entire game before that was just snow and it feels weird to me having a slippery penguin in a forest world. And now we have to re-skin all the enemies because we can't have walking ice-cubes in a forest, which is kind of annoying because in Mario every single enemy acts differently even only a subtle difference, where as here we have some enemies that are just re-skins of others because we don't have general enemies because SuperTux seems to have been created solely with the snow theming in mind. Just a bit of an observation.
Alzter

Re: An observation

Postby BlasterMaster » 05 Dec 2018, 05:30

Do you think we should focus our attention on the snow theme, or focus our attention on making the forest creatures different?
You love goats, not me.
BlasterMaster

Re: An observation

Postby Alzter » 05 Dec 2018, 07:27

BlasterMaster {l Wrote}:Do you think we should focus our attention on the snow theme, or focus our attention on making the forest creatures different?

I'm unsure. I'd like some more variety in the forest enemy behaviour, and basically everything in the forest really. Every forest level feels basically the same when we could have things like this:
Wallstone-tileset.jpg

Treetop-tileset.jpg

Ghost-portal.jpg

Forestworldoverview.jpg

(By Grumbel, source is at http://supertux.lethargik.org/wiki/Milestone_3_Design_Document)

But I should probably stop talking because at this rate I doubt much more things content-wise will be implemented.
Alzter