The Grandmaster Journey add-on

The Grandmaster Journey add-on

Postby AllyTheOcelot » 21 Nov 2018, 18:38

Hey everyone.

I've been playing supertux for a few years now, and I've never got to release a level set to the public. This is my first project using the level editor. I focused more on the challenge the levels should bring rather than the intuition they should bring. My next project will focus on more Intuitive, interesting levels. As this level set focuses on the challenging aspects in supertux, and there are 8 expert levels to complete. All levels are possible. The final level does not contain any secrets, but some of the other levels do. I would also like to stress the fact that this level set uses permanent checkpoints. I did this because I think it is unfair how you get set back a checkpoint when you run out of coins. Personally, I wanted this to be challenging, not repetitive.

I started the project in mid-June and finished on the 19th of November. This is for version 0.5.1.

fyi, there is a supertux community discord. More active people would be great, and it'll unify the supertux community better :D https://discord.gg/thD8jV

If you need help on any levels I may release some videos on how to finish certain areas.

Here was the trailer I released containing a section in the 6th level: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EApxLINIU2o

Anyway, that's all from me. Good luck to everyone, and I look forward to making more levels :P
Attachments
Grandmaster_Finale.zip
Here is the world map.
(136.64 KiB) Downloaded 333 times
Mewo
AllyTheOcelot
SuperTux Moderator

Re: The Grandmaster Journey add-on

Postby WeLuvGoatz » 22 Nov 2018, 03:09

Wow, your level design is very, very good! This is one of the higher quality maps I've seen, and boy, do I love it! I love the world map effects. This world map sure did take a while to make and it sure was worth it. I was surprised at the quality of this worldmap!

I was also surprised at how hard it was... I've only skimmed through it right now, but it was *VERY* hard. I love it! I am looking forward to some levels of yours that are, um, less challenging. (LOL) :D :D :D
No.
WeLuvGoatz
SuperTux Moderator

Postby DevonST » 22 Nov 2018, 22:16

If you have problems at importing this worldmap as an addon, download the fixed zip below. The addon structure was a bit messed up so I fixed it according to the wiki page: https://github.com/SuperTux/supertux/wiki/Level-Editor
Attachments
Grandmaster_Finale.zip
(130.14 KiB) Downloaded 307 times
I made a worldmap, see “Puzzles or Platforms?
DevonST

Postby the shapeshifter » 27 Nov 2018, 18:36

didn't pass only intro and first challenge. i got stuck at the fortress where the armored jumping thing has a short jump height so i always hit that.
the shapeshifter

Postby DevonST » 02 Dec 2018, 15:24

I finally beat it. This was probably the hardest thing I’ve ever done in any video game. Here are my times for each level:

1. Initiation Test: 16:37 min
2. A Fortress in The Distance: 20:48 min
3. The Fortress of Shadows: 19:03 min
4. A Sky-High Blizzard: 84:24 min
5. Springy Shenanigans: 50:21 min
6. The Monsters Dungeon: 85:47 min
7. An Airship Attack: (100:39.99) almost 3 hours I guess
8. The Grandmaster Finale: (100:39.99)

I’m not kidding, these are the times shown in the worldmap. It seems, SuperTux stops counting when you reach 100:39.99. Normally that’s enough but this addon is a bit different. If you make another addon, please keep the levels shorter because you can’t reboot your machine without loosing progress if you hit a checkpoint.

I think, I don’t have to say that these levels are really well-made. However, I do have some ideas to make them more human-friendly but I don’t know whether you will like them ;)

The info boxes before the boss fight really filled me with determination. But strangely, the boss fight was the easiest part of the entire worldmap. Here, I recorded a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emloYQWAkV0&t=1s

Now you can call me a Grandmaster! :cool:
I made a worldmap, see “Puzzles or Platforms?
DevonST

Postby AllyTheOcelot » 02 Dec 2018, 16:05

Hello there! When making the final boss for this game I meant for it to be challenging of course, I guess I didn't quite factor in the chances of someone just standing still I guess :D

I suppose my main concern when making the boss fight was keeping the Yeti alive, it was wierd, how, sometimes, he managed to fall off the level. My main concern however wasn't making it the hardest part of the entire level-set. I felt that a mediocre challenge was best to sum up the entire world. Note that, when making the final boss, I did have some time constraints in mind which sort of lead me to rush it, hence the spikes to keep the yeti from falling off :P

I might remake the final boss though for v0.6.0 when it gets released in the add-on pack :)

Thanks for playing my world, I'm glad you found it challenging! :D

For now, I'm shifting my focus to making more fun, intuitive levels rather than challenging ones. I've always wanted to make a super hard level set since I was about 10 XD
Mewo
AllyTheOcelot
SuperTux Moderator

Postby Alzter » 04 Dec 2018, 01:29

Damn!! I really love this level design. It's tough, but very fair. (Minus all the offscreen stalactites) I love the aesthetics too, like the chains linking all the floating platforms of ice in the first level. This truly feels like the ultimate SuperTux trial. Veterans only.
Alzter

Postby WeLuvGoatz » 25 Jan 2019, 03:15

BTW this addon appears to be in the addon manager. Congrats!
No.
WeLuvGoatz
SuperTux Moderator

Postby AllyTheOcelot » 16 Feb 2019, 18:00

Great :P thanks for all the feedback

@Alzter, the offscreen stalactites aren't technically off screen since you can use the sneak left/right/up/down buttons (I have them assigned to WASD, for example). This sneak function is used a lot in my levels so that might explain why you cant see them.

@WeLuvGoatz Yup! I haven't been able to see it for myself yet (I am stuck in 0.5.1 until some major bugs are fixed, and so I can speedrun some stuff) so I look forward to when I port back to 0.6.0. Thanks :)

FOR VERSIONS 0.6.0 - There is an issue on 0.6.0 with the yeti boss-fight: https://github.com/SuperTux/supertux/issues/1008 where the yeti keeps running around after his death animation plays when he hits a wall..? This seems to be an issue with the game, not specifically any scripts I have placed in. Hopefully this will be fixed soon, I imagine many people will be very upset that they spent hours trying to beat a level they can't complete.

--------- I have created a version for 0.6.0 that's on the add-on manager in game. The download displayed above is for versions 0.5.1.

changes made for 0.6.0 release:

-refined some scripts
-changed some positions of enemies (such as the rng-fest in the 2nd stage, brmbrmcar complained about that)
-changed some looks of the other stages
-some adjustments to kaizo-type jumps in the final level
-an attempt to make the final boss harder (with knowledge that its impossible due to a bug) (this involved changing some moving platforms to still ones, more "wild" ghost flames, and spikes)
-added some ambient sounds (springy shenanigans imparticular)

For now I'm shifting my focus more onto school and speedrunning, I'll get back to making levels when I have some of my limited time available. I think I will just focus on more solo-projects rather than community ones since I can't really keep up to speed with everyone. Apologies for my recent inactivity this year so far.
Mewo
AllyTheOcelot
SuperTux Moderator

Postby sinisa3games » 28 Feb 2019, 14:48

good levels but it makes me mad when enemies load at just the right time to make some parts impossible
'Ello
sinisa3games

Postby AllyTheOcelot » 01 Mar 2019, 23:33

Hey, whenever that happens, there should be a checkpoint nearby. The only places that happen are in two locations but due to the nature of how the checkpoints are placed it should be fine. Everything's completable.

Proof that this is possible: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/389135968##

also, if people are having issues with my download link (I have no clue why mine doesn't work) DevonST did a reply that has a working file attached. It's then just a matter of placing the zipped folder into the add-ons file in Supertux > supertux2 > addons
Mewo
AllyTheOcelot
SuperTux Moderator