Hedgewars (turn-based strategy) [1.0.0]

Hedgewars (turn-based strategy) [1.0.0]

Postby Wuzzy » 22 Oct 2017, 04:09

Hedgewars

Lead angry hedgehogs to war in this turn-based stragegy game and destroy your enemy with silly weapons! :D

:!: Current stable version: 1.0.0

https://hedgewars.org/

More screenshots
Gameplay video (old Hedgewars version)

Important links

Description
Lead a team of ruthless hedgehogs with attitude in absurd battles to the death with a large armory of silly weapons. You play in a random or drawn 2D landscape which you can completely blow up. :cool:

Choose one of dozens of weapons to destroy your enemies: Try the good old bazookas and grenades, attack with your trusty shotgun, send a homing bee ;) flying to your target, or cause a lot of damage with hellish hand-grenades, watermelon bombs :D, ball cannons and many other weapons. Use utilities like ropes and flying saucers to reach new terrain. Various extras, such as collectible crates, proximity mines and explosive barrels spice up the gameplay.

There's a very large amount of customization options: Give your hogs unique names and hats or change their voice or gravestone. Change the game rules to your liking (why not turning all hedgehogs into vampires?) or play one of various game modes which completely change the gameplay. We also have extensive documentation explaining how to add your own creations, like maps, landscapes, hats, other graphics, etc.

There are two campaigns and various singleplayer missions, including a simple training to help you get started. You can play in hot-seat mode, against the machine or online.

Read more about Hedgewars in the wiki.

Contributing
Hedgewars is a very community-driven project. It has a simple add-on system to help you distribute custom graphics, maps, missions, silly hedgehog voices and the like. Players like to post their creations in the forums and some of the best contributions became an official part of Hedgewars later on. :heart:

We generally like to have artists to improve the graphics. Voice actors can create silly hedgehog voices.
If you like to help us, we have a list of art requests.
For coders, we have a to-do list.

We have an extensive knowledge base which contains instructions how to contribute.

We are also always looking for translators: Translations

Licensing
  • Code: :gpl: GNU GPL v2
  • Media: GNU FDL v1.2
Attachments
hedgewars_1_0_0.jpg
Screenshot of Hedgewars 1.0.0
Last edited by Wuzzy on 15 Oct 2019, 16:13, edited 27 times in total.
Wuzzy

Hedgewars 0.9.23

Postby Wuzzy » 16 Nov 2017, 00:37

I proudly present to you: Version 0.9.23!
This is a very big update.

Read the release announcement here.
Wuzzy

Re: Hedgewars (version 0.9.23 is out!)

Postby charlie » 16 Nov 2017, 10:31

Looks good Wuzzy. A complete overhaul of the editor; nice work!
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby GunChleoc » 17 Nov 2017, 09:25

Great, I'll go grab it.

I didn't manage to get my translation up-to-date in time, but I'm working on it. Still slogging my way trough en.txt...
GunChleoc

Postby flavio » 18 Nov 2017, 16:56

Congratulations for the release! Actually the update is huge. The game is a ton of fun, and I really love the art style!
flavio

0.9.25 is in the works, looking for translators

Postby Wuzzy » 02 Nov 2018, 18:56

Oh boy! It's been almost a year since I last posted here. Sorry about that.

In the meantime, we already have released version 0.9.24 a couple of months ago.
And right now, version 0.9.25 is already in the works. Many new features and bugfixes have come in the meantime. You can read about the good news on our homepage, where I go into detail. (I am too lazy to repeat all of that here :P)

We have recently declared the string freeze and we are again looking for translators to help us out.
If you like Hedgewars, and want to help, please check out https://hedgewars.org/kb/Translations.
I also strongly recommend any potential contributor to join us in our chat room: https://hedgewars.org/chat

For this release we already had people working on Japanese, Russian, Polish and as always, German (by me). Maybe I forgot a few languages.

Right now, only two languages are complete (German and Polish), so there's a lot to do here. Hedgewars has about 4000 strings.
Wuzzy

Re: Hedgewars (turn-based strategy)

Postby GunChleoc » 07 Nov 2018, 17:42

I'm working away at stub.lua right now before I hit the dreaded txt file. Wish me luck that I'll make it this time!

Is the GitHub mirror up-to-date regarding the strings?

Any chance that you might break up the txt file into multiple files in the future? Having a separate file for each randomized string would make things a lot easier for me. At the moment, I am tracking the file with a tool, which means that I need to provide as many randomized options as in the original English.
GunChleoc

Postby Wuzzy » 08 Nov 2018, 12:10

Thanks a lot you for your time!

Yes, you can use the GitHub mirror, it updates daily. Because strings are frozen, it's safe to use the mirror now.

We all know the translation system is a huge mess and a rework is on our TODO list since a long time. Probably most things should be moved to Gettext. I don't know when exactly this will happen.

As for the TXT file: All translations in the “02:XX” group only require at least one translation per section, so 18 at minimum, one for 02:00, 02:01, until 02:17. You do not have to translate all English phrases right away, and I wouldn't recommend doing so, especially for phrases that are hard or impossible to translate.

I suggest you translate the TXT file first, because it's shorter and more important. But ultimately, you decide what to do. :)
Wuzzy

Postby GunChleoc » 09 Nov 2018, 10:56

I have analyzed the text file and found that there are some non-random strings on the bottom, so I have taken care of those. Now I need to make sure to create a few phrases in each category and manually kick out the English - that makes it entirely doable :)
GunChleoc

Postby GunChleoc » 09 Nov 2018, 16:02

Here's the update minus the lua file, which still needs lots of work. I can't do a hg push, so I'm attaching them here.
Attachments
translation.zip
(52.29 KiB) Downloaded 282 times
GunChleoc

Postby Wuzzy » 10 Nov 2018, 20:43

Wow, thanks a lot, GunClorec!

I have added your translations in Hedgewars: http://hg.hedgewars.org/hedgewars/rev/3f6a6277f8e9
Credit given: http://hg.hedgewars.org/hedgewars/rev/262f31627960

I included your files mostly verbatim, but I had to disable some strings because of syntax errors.

I have tested your translations and I have a few remarks.

hedgewars_gd.ts

In the multiplayer page (when you are preparing a game), a few strings are too long. Can you give me shortened translations for these?:

- The entries in the “map type” drop down list (Random, Image, Perlin, Forts, ...)
- The “Random” button

Also, the translation of the numpad keys and some other key names is a bit too long. Try to keep key name translations as short as possible.

Also, there are a few untranslated strings in this file. It seems you have overlooked them.

gd.txt
The following string has broken syntax, so I have disabled it:
02:00Thuit =%1 ’s chan èirich e tuilleadh

Please send me the corrected form of this string, otherwise, I will just remove this string.

The descriptions of these weapons have very long lines, they need shorter lines and more balanced lines. Use “|” for a line break. Try to keep about 80 characters per line:
- Hellish hand-grenade
- Ballgun
- Extra Damage
- Low Gravity
- Invulnerable

Also, the translation for 01:10 is a bit long, try to shorten it.

Finally, these strings are not translated:
04:18, 04:25, 04:31, 04:42, 04:48, 04:53, 04:55, 04:58

Other files
The other files look fine to me.

Again, thanks for your contribution so far! :)
Wuzzy

Postby GunChleoc » 14 Nov 2018, 14:28

Thanks for the link to the diff - this will help me to recover some lost translations in en.txt.

Wuzzy {l Wrote}:hedgewars_gd.ts

In the multiplayer page (when you are preparing a game), a few strings are too long. Can you give me shortened translations for these?:

- The entries in the “map type” drop down list (Random, Image, Perlin, Forts, ...)
- The “Random” button

Also, the translation of the numpad keys and some other key names is a bit too long. Try to keep key name translations as short as possible.

No can do. They already are as sort as possible. "Random" means "air thuaiream " or "t(h)uaireamach", both of them are too long. And we can't just say "numpad", we have to say "pad of numbers". There is no possible alternative translation.

For the keyboard shortcuts, there is plenty of width available on-screen, so we can solve this by making the dropdown wider. The map selection is more crowded, so the solution there would have to be a redesign of the left column; there is vertical space available.

I don't expect any reprogramming to happen with this version, maybe for the next version?

Wuzzy {l Wrote}:Also, there are a few untranslated strings in this file. It seems you have overlooked them.

Looks like a bug in Transifex. The reason I'm using Transifex is that it is the only tool that can both read the file format and provide me with a spellchecker - Virtaal will choke on "vanished" strings and QT Linguist has no spellchecker and terrible UI. I'll fix these with Geany.

Wuzzy {l Wrote}:gd.txt
The descriptions of these weapons have very long lines, they need shorter lines and more balanced lines. Use “|” for a line break. Try to keep about 80 characters per line:
- Hellish hand-grenade
- Ballgun
- Extra Damage
- Low Gravity
- Invulnerable

The problem is that random settings will not necessarily show these, so I can't tweak them in-game. Is there an easy way to start a game with 1 person that will show all the weapons?
GunChleoc

Postby Wuzzy » 15 Nov 2018, 02:13

No can do.

OK. You're right, it's HW's fauls for not offering more space.

Also, there are a few untranslated strings in this file. It seems you have overlooked them.

Forget that one. I was wrong. hedgewars_gd.ts is actually complete.

The problem is that random settings will not necessarily show these, so I can't tweak them in-game. Is there an easy way to start a game with 1 person that will show all the weapons?

That's what weapon schemes are for. You can choose which weapons to play with. Select Crazy to get all weapons.
Wuzzy

Postby GunChleoc » 16 Nov 2018, 09:50

Thanks!

Here's the update.
Attachments
gd.txt
(38.67 KiB) Downloaded 268 times
GunChleoc

Postby dulsi » 16 Nov 2018, 16:29

Wuzzy {l Wrote}:OK. You're right, it's HW's fauls for not offering more space.

There was a postmortem I read some time ago. One of the recommendations was to assume non-English translations will take up 50% more space.
dulsi

Postby Wuzzy » 16 Nov 2018, 20:46

Only 50% more? That sounds very optimistic. :D

@GunChleoc: Done!
http://hg.hedgewars.org/hedgewars/rev/5d46fa68c9d8

gd.txt is 100% complete now, good work and thanks a lot!
Wuzzy

Postby GunChleoc » 18 Nov 2018, 08:48

Actually, very short strings can easily need up to 300% more. The W3C has a good article about that: https://www.w3.org/International/articl ... -text-size

Thanks for the diff, Wuzzy! No English slipped by me this time :)
GunChleoc

Version 0.9.25-RC1

Postby Wuzzy » 22 Nov 2018, 20:52

We're now preparing the next Hedgewars release and Release Candidate 1 for version 0.9.25 is out, to make sure everything works fine.

If you want to try it out before the “real” release, you can get it here:
https://hedgewars.org/node/7017
Wuzzy

Version 0.9.25

Postby Wuzzy » 04 Dec 2018, 16:00

Version 0.9.25 is out!

Read more about the good news here: http://hedgewars.org/node/7024
Wuzzy

Re: Hedgewars (turn-based strategy) (v0.9.25 is out!)

Postby GunChleoc » 05 Dec 2018, 13:18

Congratulations on the release :)
GunChleoc

Postby charlie » 08 Jun 2019, 10:45

I really like Hedgewars. I haven't played it in a while so I will play it with my son today, I think. He's 7 now so should be able to play it. :)
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Proparing 1.0.0

Postby Wuzzy » 20 Jun 2019, 19:05

Good news, everyone!

We are currently preparing the release of the long-awaited version 1.0.0!

We have just released 1.0.0 Alpha 1, a testing release. If you want to help us test Hedgewars before the “big” release, that will be much appreciated! I have written down everything in this news post.
We want to find as many bugs as possible.

If you're a translator, we always appreciate help in this area as well. See http://hedgewars.org/kb/Translations or visit us in our chat.
Wuzzy

Re: Hedgewars (turn-based strategy) [1.0.0 IS IN THE WORKS]

Postby GunChleoc » 21 Jun 2019, 09:46

Here's the update for my UI translation
Attachments
gd.zip
(55.57 KiB) Downloaded 192 times
GunChleoc

Postby Wuzzy » 21 Jun 2019, 13:36

Thanks!
In gd.txt I found this:
02:09=Ouch! That must have hurt

And the hedgewars_gd.ts file is incomplete, still about 20 strings are missing. I'm just saying this because you might have overlooked it.
Wuzzy

Postby GunChleoc » 21 Jun 2019, 16:40

I automatically grab the the .ts file from https://raw.githubusercontent.com/hedge ... wars_en.ts because I failed at letting Transifex grab it from your HG - maybe the mirror is not up-to-date?

As to the line in the gd.txt, please delete it - I have to manually diff that file every time, so I overlooked that line.

ETA: I have attached the appdata files too. I only translated the summary in the appdata.xml for now, because that's quite a lot of text to hack in XML.
Attachments
hedgewars appdata.zip
(5.92 KiB) Downloaded 240 times
GunChleoc