Las Dunas Stadium source needed

Las Dunas Stadium source needed

Postby QwertyChouskie » 20 Oct 2018, 22:51

Las Dunas Stadium's lap counting broke in the git version (https://github.com/supertuxkart/stk-code/issues/3525). @GeekPenguinBR can you please uplooad the source files to the addons site? I can fix the issue, but I need the .blend.
Contributor to/fan of STK (Upstreamed Cartoon theme, numerous random big fixes/tweaks)
QwertyChouskie

Re: Las Dunas Stadium source needed

Postby cddepppp256 » 20 Oct 2018, 23:25

cddepppp256

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 21 Oct 2018, 01:32

I read the description of the problem in Github, but this is very strange because I have always driven this track in both versions (the one installed directly by me and the version available on Add-ons for download, that you use) and I have never had that kind of problem.
"Making cool harmless games makes the world a better place".
GeekPenguinBR

Postby Alayan » 21 Oct 2018, 02:08

Quoting what I wrote on github :
The issue is that this track has no checkline at all. Going backward and forward over the lap line allows to validate laps.

This is also true in 0.9.3 ; but code changes to lap line validation make the issue much more obvious in git, because you don't need to go backward for an incorrect validation to happen the first time.

There is a code change which explains why it was noticed now and not earlier, but the code change only exposes a pre-existing flaw of the track. If this track had seen the time-trial competitions that the main tracks have seen, it would have been detected long ago (much more complicated tricks have been found).
Alayan
STK Moderator

Postby QwertyChouskie » 21 Oct 2018, 02:12

It has to do with some changes in the Git version. Tracks need at least one checkline or now they completely glitch, though at least 2 checklines are needed to not allow exploits. Also see https://streamable.com/sdql6

Also, now STK has a better mesh format so it would be good to have the blend on the addons site anyways. Samuncle actually lost a lot of blends at one point in a hard drive crash, we don't want to risk a similar situation happening again.
Contributor to/fan of STK (Upstreamed Cartoon theme, numerous random big fixes/tweaks)
QwertyChouskie

Postby tempAnon093 » 19 Oct 2019, 11:58

re: the checklines

Here are all the cheat shortcuts I found. I did not draw ones where there is enough grass to make the shortcut useless.

lasdunas_shortcuts.png

The light red ones are minor shortcuts, either going off the side of ramps or driving to the side of them. The blue one could be useful in reverse.

Here is my checkline proposal to prevent abuse of these shortcuts.
(Light green --> Light blue --> Dark Blue --> Dark green --> lap)

lasdunas_checklines.png

The yellow one is probably a better spot for the right track's dark green (it stops someone avoiding the flaming jump by taking the bottom red shortcut then taking the red shortcut across the grass), but it could be considered too harsh if a player goes off the jump sideways. The blue checklines on the right track can be placed on the jump to stop the player going around the side instead.

If these checklines are placed, it should prevent cheating from being useful since all the shortcuts that save time will miss a checkline.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 21 Oct 2019, 20:36

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:re: the checklines
Here are all the cheat shortcuts I found. I did not draw ones where there is enough grass to make the shortcut useless.

Hi, tempAnon093

Thanks for your interest in this project. Good observations. You spotted some critical parts, but I advise you to not waste time trying to correct, improve, or whatever name someone wants to use. This track layout is completely out of the question and abandoned. I have a whole new and totally different one if I decide to redo this track. In this case, the track will be made according to the original idea in order to look like a motocross indoor track. So, no more asphalt, grass and everything else.

Something like this except for the layout:
https://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?t=6230

However, I will be glad if you or another contributor with knowledge in making tracks want to help us doing something (applying textures or checklines, for example) in this project or another one of those I have unveiled for the community since it's a lot of work for only two guys in their free time. I'm always available to contribute with some object or texture for any track when requested. :)
GeekPenguinBR

Postby tempAnon093 » 21 Oct 2019, 22:51

The way I see it:

1) people find the map fun and have played it online
2) we can put in less than 5 minutes of work placing my proposed checklines which will make the track much fairer, making it more usable in online matches

That is not wasted time. The track layout needs no change.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 21 Oct 2019, 23:56

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:The way I see it:

1) people find the map fun and have played it online
2) we can put in less than 5 minutes of work placing my proposed checklines which will make the track much fairer, making it more usable in online matches

That is not wasted time. The track layout needs no change.

Thanks a lot for your feedback and goodwill, but that's not the opinion of Alayan:
Alayan {l Wrote}:I don't care if the track is supposed to be indoor or outdoor. I care if it's enjoyable to drive on it, and yours is not.

As you don't seem to get why people don't like it, I'll expand on my reasons. The shape has several core design flaws :

(,,,) Even going in at a very slow speed, you are forced to crash after the 3rd one. This is not a challenge, but a needless frustration. I'm among those who like difficulty in tracks, but this is not the right way to do it. Look at The Old Mine or The Lost Chasm to get a better idea of how a track can be challenging but fair, rewarding skillful driving.
4)Obviously, considering (2) and (3) if you want to do a good time, you should always use the left road, whatever your skill level. The right one is useless. This is bad design ...
5)The track is very short. This obviously apply to some official tracks too, One or two gimmick track like OMC is ok, but otherwise tracks should last at least 30s imo. 20s to complete a lap is not enough.

You can fix all the issues and put the track on add ons, but it will never be part of the main game, which means to depreciate our job (mine and yours) and project since a track with that amount of work and graphics should not be a track that will be avoided by most and, as a consequence, considered another trash in the game's dump. ;)
GeekPenguinBR